“Excellent hotel overlooking the Douro”

Pestana Palacio do Freixo
Ranked #4 of 109 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The reception rooms in the palace are stunning it is like staying in a national trust mansion. The bedrooms in the annex were of a good size and very clean. The included breakfast catered for all nationalities and I found the staff very attentive. The infinity swimming pool and indoor swimming pool was a real bonus. The hotel is about 3km from the centre of Oporto and can easily be walked in approx. 45 minutes along the wide pavement; we found it quite safe as there are many fishermen and walkers along it. A taxi is approx. 6 euros to Ribeira. The Blue tourist Bus has a stop just outside the hotel gate which was very useful as a 2 day hop on and off pass is 15 euros. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_Freixo, Gerente at Pestana Palacio do Freixo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Dear Tripadvisor Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your comments. The fact that you have enjoyed your stay with us and took the time to give your feedback it’s the best award we can get and that’s what makes work even harder to meet all our guests’ expectations! We now look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Freixo Palace Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,934)

Reviewed 9 June 2013

I love the Pousadas of Portugal. Unfortunately, the Palácio de Freixo in Porto just does not measure up to the standard of this group. If you are really in the market for an American style room, then this may be your cup of tea. However, I have come to expect the friendliest service and a unique room from each Pousada. This place is simple too big for that. There are 188 rooms that were built inside an old flour factory. They are totally indistinguishable from any hotel room anywhere else in the wolrld. The staff at most Pousadas make the guest almost feel a part of the family, this place is too big for that. To be clear, there is 24-hour, free wifi, the rooms are specious and clean and the air conditioning works. But there is absolutely nothing special about the hotel. The restaurant food is ordinary at best and overpriced and the staff is too busy to be friendly. The location is well outside of the main part of Porto—be prepared to take taxis. I would not say to not stay here, but just expect the Holiday Inn with the reception, bars and restaurant in an old palace, but the hotel is in no way unique and it is not cheap!

Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank ChuminParis

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to gives us your opinion about our facilities and services. Unfortunately we didn’t met at all your expectations. kindly accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience. Please contact me directly so I can see how we could compensate you for this.
Looking forward to your contact

Reviewed 8 June 2013

The directions to the hotel warn it's a little out of town, and it certainly isn't too easy to find if coming from afar. We've traversed Europe and found many obscure destinations without satnav assistance - this one proved the value of up to date outside help!

However, it's really very easy to find by driving east along the road beside the Douro river, running from the coast, past the city centre, almost directly to the hotel, just off the first roundabout. Only about 40 minutes to walk to the city and good views along the way.

Having found the hotel entrance don't blink, or you'll miss the turn in. The first turn after the roundabout is the Printing Museum and Boat Club where a queue of leaving vehicles may impede the view forward. Less than 50 metres/yards past that is a poorly indicated turn across cobbles into a nondescript drive passing a building site before a sharp left turn up a ramp to the hotel - then, WOW! It really is an impressive place.

We were greeted by handshakes from smartly dressed and attentive staff making real efforts to explain the hotel - you'll soon discover why. It probably takes a couple of days to find the best ways to get from the bedrooms to all the other facilities on the various floors and levels, assuming you ever find them. It's a labyrinth.

Our room faced east towards the industrial site next door, and more obliquely towards the river. It was excellent, quiet, and comfortable.

We arrived for a 2 night stay on a Sunday. Apparently the hotel was devoting all it's attentions to a buffet reception being hosted by the Honorary Italian Consul, so the dining room was not available. Not a problem, all the hotel guests were invited to the reception, with all we could eat or drink, no charge. A lovely warm and sunny evening on the terraces, the wines were fine, and the food most acceptable - I particularly enjoyed the Tiramisu.

The second night we made the mistake of not booking for dinner. The hotel is clearly getting an excellent reputation amongst the local population as well as with guests and the dining facilities are limited. After being told at 8.30 a table should be available by 9 to 9.30 we finally gave up when it seemed we'd not get a table until nearer 10. Guests clearly like to linger over their meals, which must be a good sign.

The breakfast was fine, although on both mornings we were ushered into an overflow room that seemed hastily prepared as it lacked things like sugar on the tables.

Would we stay again? Yes.

Did we get good value for money? Yes - although we spent rather less than anticipated by not managing to access the main dining room on either night!

Would we want to improve anything? Signage and appearance on approach from the road - not too difficult?

Tips. Concentrate hard on navigation to this hotel. And book early for dinner!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Tripadvisor Reviewer,
Thank you very much for your feedback. Your constructive comments have already been shared with our management team and we promise to focus on improving them. We truly value our Guest constructive comments as they help us to continually monitor and upgrade the quality of our service.
We would like to have another opportunity to welcome you soon to Pousada do Porto Freixo Palace Hotel.

Reviewed 8 June 2013

10-15 min drive from central Porto then you can get nice view for the river and quiet and relaxed atmosphere.
room was just NICE but nothing special, but restaurant, bar, hallways,,, made me feel 'staying in posada'.
we enjoyed sweet porto wine as a nightcap at their bar every night. also good breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wheresthenext
Manager_Freixo, Gerente at Pestana Palacio do Freixo, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad to Know you enjoyed your stay with us.
I'm happy to know you took the time to visit and enjoy the city. We now look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Loved this hotel. It was absolutely fantastic, and great value for money. We stayed for around 3 nights. The hotel is conveniently situated close to the city, but not so close, so it feels like a bit of a getaway, yet you still have the convenience of the city just a short cab ride away. The hotel is beautiful. Communal areas are gorgeous and the rooms are very tasteful. The restaurant food was excellent. We loved the outdoor pool with its bar. We took our baby daughter and this was not a problem. the service was fantastic. I would love to go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 1AB
Manager_Freixo, Gerente at Pestana Palacio do Freixo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your opinon about our hotel with others and also thank you very much for your comments about our services, faciliteis and staff.
Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 30 May 2013

It all started when I walked into the hotel at 9:45pm on a Sunday night and no one was in the hotel to greet me and check me into my room. Next, they did not have the room I reserved available for me or my male colleague. My male colleague made the reservations and I had a copy saved on my phone. He came on a later flight so was not there to check in at the same time. I was given a room with 2 twin beds pushed together with a river view, however my view was of a brick tower in the center of my window. My reservation was a King room with a river view. Not exactly what I got. My male colleague arrived and he got a King room with a balcony and a view! After he argued, they asked to move me to a suite but it was 12:30am and I was already in bed. I also had to ask for an iron and ironing board twice the night I checked in and did not get it it until about 12:15am. The next morning, I moved my room to an upgraded suite. The hotel staff took my old key but little did I know, he used it for the lights by the door. When I left the room I grabbed that key and then could not get back into my room after breakfast. GREAT! The breakfast room had very poor staff. The ladies were more concerned with chatting with each other than working to serve coffee and tend to our needs. The hotel staff never said good morning or good evening when entering or leaving the hotel. The management apologized but kept saying that this was not generally how things were done. Poor training on their part. Also, the driver that picked up my colleague at the airport was late and then lied about it. And when we asked for a taxi to take us to the airport in the early morning, the car did not show up and we almost missed our flight home. The only shining star was Pedro in the bar. He suggested food to us and was very friendly and thoughtful. Overall, for the price, I expected MUCH better service. I travel the world for work and expect much more. You could stay anywhere else and get better service and for less money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without the brick pole in your river view. That is room 403 and all rooms below it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank Khnyc17

Looking forward to your contact

Reviewed 30 May 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Palacio do Freixo. Everything was just excellent. The staff is extraordinarily helpful, the restaurant serves great food and our room (we had the special suite) including the view was just gorgeous. Thank you !

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WalterXG

Dear Guest ,
Thank you very much for your comments. The fact you have enjoyed your stay with us and took the time to gives feedback it’s the best award we can get and that’s what makes work even harder to meet all our guests’ expectations! Thank you!
We now look forward to the pleasure of meeting you back soon.