“Waiting for a Michelin Star...is there anything else to be written?:-)”

Pedro Lemos Restaurante
Ranked #86 of 1,707 Restaurants in Porto
Price range: US$47 - US$71
Cuisines: European, Portuguese, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: “Pedro Lemos” is one of Oporto’s most renowned restaurants.The chef ’s originality stands in a pleasantlysurprising contrast to the typical Portuguese flavors,so as to present the clients with unique and unforgettableculinary experiences, turning each meal into an“urban safari”. Located in Foz, one of Oporto’s mostbeautiful and emblematic historical neighborhoods, therestaurant’s venue is a building deemed of architecturalsignificance. It was first inaugurated in 1964 as a Britishinspiredpub that became a place of choice of that time’selites. At Pedro Lemos you can explore different spacesand ambiances, always exquisite and comfortable. The specialty of the restaurant are the seasonal tasting menus.The wine selection is carefully sourced, the service is impeccable.
Porto, Portugal
“Waiting for a Michelin Star...is there anything else to be written?:-)”
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Magnificent...oh wait, marvellous...a gastronomic experience awaits behind that humble entrance and it will surprise your senses. Line caught fresh fish, tender meat and the best Douro Wines meet a great young Chef Pedro Lemos and his amazing staff, let yourself be guided by them and become an overwhelmed guest.

• Visited November 2013

• Turkish first
Boston, MA
“What a surprise”
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Couldn't get last minute reservations in some our top choices. Saw the review and called. Perhaps because it's a bit out of the way we got a table for four. Excellent meal and wonderful service. If I were to return to Porto, it would be on the top of my list for a return visit.

Visited October 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
“Wonderful place, but a bit more creativity and ingenuity wouldn't hurt”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

After the rave reviews everywhere I checked, I thought Pedro Lemos seemed the best choice for a fine dining experience to celebrate a special occasion when we visited Porto some weeks ago. Overall, my husband and I enjoyed our experience. We went for the tasting menu (menu de degustação) and agreed about two outstanding features of the meal: the freshness and quality of the ingredients, and the excellent choice of recommended wines paired with each dish.

What was slightly disappointing for me was that the dishes, in general, could use a bit more creativity and imagination. I knew that the idea was to create a new or modern twist to Portuguese cuisine. But I felt that there was something lacking -- maybe I was looking for the magic that the chef could create out of the excellent ingredients -- and did not really find it.The small shrimps we had as starter was very tasty (as expected of this variety) and with a perfect balance of flavours. But the need to take out the shell, head, etc. in order to get into the miniscule flesh and spending an inordinate time on this, didn't appeal much to me, and I thought it not a very good idea as an opening dish. The Iberian black pig done in 2 ways (roasted in red wine, and grilled rare with mashed potato and baby carrot) was good, but not very imaginative. The meats were cooked to perfection, but there is no extraordinary thing about that in this country where the average restaurant serving meat more often than not, get it right. The combination with potato and carrot also was not exciting. In short, this dish was predictable. The tuna, done in 3 ways was, for us, the highlight of the meal -- it was presented grilled (thick chunk perfectly done) with an excellent sauce, tartare (with raw egg yolk), and a thin slice of tuna belly marbled with fat. The twist on the local seafood stew dish was good but not great. The lobster meat and mussel were large and very fresh, but I thought the entire dish was quite salty, and they were swimming in too much liquid. Again, I thought the ingredients had more potential than as presented -- unfortunately, the chef was not able to bring it out. This dish did not surprise or excite us. We enjoyed the two desserts -- one was a tiny cube of pudding with wild berries sauce --- very nicely presented, but I thought the cube could be a tad bigger. The other was a light ice cream in two flavours, with ground pistachio -- which I thought, was a great choice to end a nice dinner.

There was fresh warm bread and soft white butter as we were making our choices, and offered throughout the meal -- both were very good.

The wines were very well chosen. Every dish went with a different wine, and each enhanced and rounded out the flavours of each dish. For my husband and me who both enjoy good wines, the excellent pairings enhanced the pleasure of the evening, and made the meal more memorable. This, I think, is what makes for a fine restaurant -- and separates it from just a good one. And on this point, Pedro Lemos makes the grade.

Service was good, though not exceptional. It helped that we were the first to arrive that evening so we were still able to get a few minutes of undivided attention from the maître d'. The young waitress, though, seemed to have very little clue of the dishes that she was putting in front of us -- we had asked something about an ingredient, and she had replied vacantly. I thought that a restaurant of this category should at least orient the waiters on the dishes they were serving.

We liked very much the ambience of the restaurant -- it is great for a romantic dinner, and good for business lunches or dinners as well, if the aim is to impress. Reservations is a must -- there are only a few tables, and at least on the Saturday evening we were there, the place was completely full.

The restaurant is not that easy to find (though our taxi driver knew it very well, as he said he has taken passengers to the place already several times -- it does seem it is getting more popular specially with tourists), as it is in a residential area and along a narrow one-way street. At the end of the meal, the restaurant will offer to call a taxi without you even having to mention it -- they know when you arrive by one, as they wait by the door on your arrival. A small gesture, but an important one --- as again this sets apart a fine restaurant from just any restaurant.

The dinner was by no means cheap, but our bill came out lower than I expected. We had ordered a 4-course tasting menu, but on my count, we had 6 (although we were charged only with the price of the 4-course). The wines were also very reasonably priced -- they came out between 3.50 to 7 euros a glass -- which were very reasonable considering the quality and vintage. All that, with the bread and coffee after, set us back short of 130 euros (2 persons) which I thought was reasonable.

Overall, we found Pedro Lemos to be an excellent place for fine dining. It has room, though, to be better -- in the sense of being more creative, more inventive, more imaginative -- both in the ingredients and in the techniques. The flavours are great and well-balanced, but they were not exciting -- I would say, Pedro Lemos tends to be on the conservative side. I really think that with a bit more imagination -- this restaurant will go from just excellent to phenomenal.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank CygniCygni
London
“Delicious”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Loved Pedro Lemos. The food was delicious and the service was spot on. Great value and lots of little extras thrown including a free cocktail to start!

Visited September 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Michelin star quality for reasonable prices!”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

A festival of aromas and tastes not to mention the superb wines - Excellent service and attention to detail. Terrific spot to go for a special celebration!

Visited September 2013