Hotel Teatro Porto
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
1,713 results
All reviewstheatrical themedesign hotelsmoked glassdim lightingglass doorthemed hotelcentral locationrain showerthe rivercomplimentary glass of portsparkling winejunior suitereception staffbreakfast was excellentwelcome drinksao bento train stationport wine
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 December 2011

A nice, very reasonable-priced hotel. Technically one street away from the Old Quarter of Porto (Ribeira). It was approx. a 15 minute walk to the waterfront. The front staff were friendly and very helpful. Our room was spacious, modern, very quiet and comfortable. The shower was huge, with constant hot water and nicely designed. As with other reviews, the open-concept toilet can make things awkward. The simple addition of a curtain would probably ease any discomfort and allow people to choose their level of “openness”.

Breakfasts were good and generous, buffet-style. The waiters also brought any espressos or cappuccinos free of charge. The free port at check-in was also a nice touch.

Parking at the hotel cost 10 Euros per day.

The hotel offered free wi-fi.

For the price and value, I would stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I had been here some time back for a meeting and quick tour of the rooms. But nothing compares with checking in and staying for a few nights, in terms of judging a hotel. My overall first lasting impression was that it was a bit dark. True but having stayed for 2 nights I can wholeheartedly recommend Teatro. First, a great location if you are to explore the old city. Secondly, although I had a small room facing the street, I could hardly hear a sound from the outside. Thirdly, one will have to appreciate all the designer stuff, from the plastic chair to the enormous shower head, to really like Teatro as this is not you average standard type hotel. They have gone to great lenghts here to the Teater theme, in a designer way I liked the unsual carpet, the retro feel, the small but quality bathroom area, the free internet, qualiy toiletries, very comfy bed, duvet and pillow and linen and the overall quiet feel. The first breakfast had a queue of approx 10 minutes, which never happens in my travels. But the breakfast was above average although perhaps a bit spartan in selection. I had one dinner there and would rate it above average, not stellar. But would easily go there again just to have a meal. liked the overall look and fell of the restaurant too. The staff was overall very friendly and helpful. I think it was good value for money and would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This is a really unique hotel in a perfect location, just off of the Santa Catarina shopping area, and within several minutes' walk of the Bolhao market area, the Douro riverfront, and many other attractions. The rooms are plush--one of the greatest showers I've ever seen, with a huge showerhead and floor to ceiling glass--but the entire hotel is very dark. Breakfasts are good but the buffet is not as extensive as I have seen in other Portuguese hotels of a similar caliber. The bar area is great--lots of seating areas, with very original, modern design. However, it can be hard to get the notice of the bartender. Terrific desk and lobby staff--they really went the extra mile when I needed some help with my work logistics.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2011

When looking a design/modern hotel I very quickly found the Hotel Teatro. You benefit from very good discounts for early bird bookings. I appreciate that rooms are a bit dark but this is what makes the hotel special and original (+ if you looked at the website prior to the booking you cannot miss it). The location is great in the city centre not far from the tour bus and the subway which takes you directly to the airport for 2 euros I think! The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I could change room easily as I did not like the first one. I requested a quiet room and it was very quiet though the hotel is right in the city. For any directions I needed the reception staff could help me. Last but not least one of the reason I choose this hotel was their "highly spoken" restaurant and their cooking classes! As I was the only one I normally couldn't take a cooking class but all the staff made sure I could enjoy this moment and made it for me -- private -- This was just great ! Difficult to describe this experience in a few words. Just take the class if you like cooking (it is only 2 hours ..although most of tourists only spend a couple of days in Porto). Once again, the staff makes the hotel. The breakfast is good and well served. The rooms are very cleaned.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Well located, near the Sao Bento train station, this hotel has a different decor that appears not to please everyone. I did not find it that dark, nor has the decor made a difference for the good or the bad. The room was clean, new, but not very spaceous. One thing to bear in mind is privacy in the bathroom: neither the shower not the toilet in our room had any privacy whatsoever. This caused some inconvenient and embarassement. Brakast was ok, but sometimes the restaurant was packed and with waiting lines.
Service wS not bad, but they failed to indicTe a restaurant for late dining, and we had to find one by urselves (which we did !).
All and all the hotel is ok (not a disaster, like I have seen in other reviews), but next time I go to Porto I will try a different one.

Room Tip: Make sure your bathroom has at least a curtain !
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple