“Great location”

Carris Porto Ribeira
Ranked #38 of 108 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I booked through olotels.com so emailed the hotel in advance to check they had my booking. I got a very friendly email back confirming. We received a warm welcome from the reception staff on arrival. Our room was quite small but perfectly sufficient for what we needed, very modern and clean with airconditioned rooms and a safe. The hotel is 100yds up the street from the river front so great for exploring Porto and in the best area for the evening as there are plenty of bars and restautants around the river front. There was a great choice on the buffet breakfast although sadly no English tea (they don't seem to do tea in Portugal). The hotel offers free wifi. The bar area looked inviting although we didn't actually have a drink there. I would highly recommend the hotel for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Wonderful restoration - Google maps street view still has the pre-conversion view. The original granite walls are all maintained and on show within the lovely public areas. The layout is more than a bit odd for a hotel - but accommodating the layout of 5 heritage properties to make a hotel took some work by the designers. The rooms were all either adequate size or exceptionally large. The setup with blinds and a large window between the sleeping area and the shower was interesting and unusual. The bed was very comfortable - after bicycling 900 km through northern Spain in the previous week I would probably have slept on anything though.

The staff was exceptional. The credo seemed to be, "if you have a problem we will help find the solution." The training isn't five star, but I would vote for engaged and friendly service any day. This is the only hotel where myself and my companions actually left a thank you card for the staff! Kudos to the management and staff.

The hotel restaurant, while relatively expensive had very nice meals. We enjoyed our meal immensely. The breakfast was very good - cereals, yogourt, juices, meats (hot and cold), eggs, many breads, fruit, and too many varieties of pastries to try at one sitting.

Most everything you might wish to see in Porto is within walking distance.

The rooms on the little side alley didn't have a great view, but they were very quiet.

One of the most enjoyable hotel stays anywhere.

John H Calgary Canada

Room Tip: End of the hall, and facing the side alley if you want quiet
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The hotel is great in appearance, in a great location, and the staff really do all they can for you as well. Everything is new and clean. I had one of the suites, but was not totally happy overall. I greatly prefer that amenities are very functional and comfortable to use, not only good looking.

Things that bothered me:

1) I was not told that my suite would be a loft. I despise lofts. There is a long and possibly dangerous staircase to go up. Basically, lots of up and down if you want to make any use of your so-called suite.

2) View from the loft window was indeed good. The balcony, however, is on the lower floor, and is unusable. Apart from all the seagull droppings, there is roaring traffic all day long, and nearby construction, which of course is not the hotel's fault. All there is to see from the balcony is constant traffic, and working men hanging out and talking in front of the hotel at all hours.

3) Internet works fine, but the new ID and password that you have to get every day is a pain in the butt.

4) There is no desk or chair, which is my preferred way of using my laptop. You have to share a ledge with the coffee and tea making facilities, and sit on an automan that is too low.

5) Closet and safe are under the steel stairs.

6) Shower and bathroom floor are incredibly slippery. I was almost scared when having a shower. The floor is the only place to put soap or shampoo when you are in the shower.

In a nutshell, the hotel looks great, and the staff is great, but because of the above mentioned drawbacks, I cannot give the hotel a top rating. However, based on some other people that I talked to, you could very likely do far worse in Porto.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed in Suite 402 and couldn't have asked for a better room or view. We had two balconies -- one overlooking the center of town and the other overlooking the river. We just didn't want to leave our room! My parents were with us and stayed in a typical guest room, where the bed was just about the size of the entire room. For 20 euro more, we got more than double the space and a priceless view. Staff beyond friendly and breakfast was amazing.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank wagamamawonderings
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This is a prime location, and therefore it is a hive of activity. We have been told that rooms on the
Douro side of this property are quieter, which is telling, since those rooms overlook a pedestrian river promenade with lots of foot traffic, cafes, etc. The noise on the street side seems to ricochet
between the buildings.With the balcony doors closed however, the noise is greatly reduced.

Our room was very clean but also quite small.The bed was very comfortable and the decor contemporary. Welcomed with small bottle of port wine.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Pleasant and soothing ambiance, new hotel in an old building, beautifully designed and decorated. Great location, a block from the river. We parked our car and walked or took public transportation everywhere. Exceptional staff and service. It seems like the differences in ratings come mostly from the individual rooms, size and sound. We had a good sized superior room (not a suite) that faced the river. We were on the first floor and couldn't see the river, but looked out on to rooftops which was fine with us and made it quiet. They must have many different room configurations. WiFi worked fine in the room and there were plenty of outlets. We did have breakfast at the hotel one morning and it was lovely. Being from the US we love our endless cups of coffee and had to keep asking for refills of our coffee pot. The Portuguese can make a tiny espresso last a long time so everywhere we went I think the "cafe Americano" seemed strange - no refills offered. One thing I missed was any kind of coffee/tea service in the room since I love to have coffee in my room in the am and herbal tea in the afternoon or evening before bed.
The only negative for me was the parking and getting our luggage in and out of the car on a very busy street. The hotel is on a busy corner and the only parking is a city garage. It is close to the hotel and the hotel did give us a discount. The staff also were very helpful with our luggage. So it isn't a criticism of the hotel as much as the location.

Room Tip: Facing the river for less noise since the hotel is on a busy street.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LynnandLee
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This hotel is in a terrific location in Porto, with easy access to the lively waterfront. The best aspect of the hotel was the concierge who was helpful in planning a Duoro cruise as well as a private local tour. The driver / tour guide affiliated with the hotel was excellent.
We did not eat dinner in the restaurant nor have breakfast there , something I regret.
We had the junior suite. Very nicely appointed but the ceiling became abruptly low and I kept bumping my head. Tall or clumsy folks are advised not to book the junior suite but a large lower floor room. The bathrooms are better in the regular room than the suite - ours had only a shower and was cramped.
All in all very nice, good value but not a superb property.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple