“Lovely if a bit over the top”

Ode Porto Wine House
Ranked #19 of 1,794 Restaurants in Porto
Price range: US$65 - US$94
Cuisines: Portuguese, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Welcome to a quite, rustic 19th century house, just in front of river Douro, where Portuguese wine and food are the perfect excuse to forget the world and to enjoy the moment. An open kitchen where we love what we do to whom we do. A wide variety of Portuguese wines (15 by the glass) from which you can choose. Far from confusion, protected yet exposed, we look to pay an Ode to those who visit us - our guests. Relax. Fell at home.
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We had a lovely meal at Ode. While the owner is clearly passionate about the food and the dining experience, the level and intensity of the personal attention would be too much for many (we didn't have a problem with it, but feel that we have to comment on it for others). That said, we enjoyed the food and wine (not so much the cocktail - but that is personal taste). This restaurant is not inexpensive so be prepared for that walking in and you will not be disappointed. Cash only, a quirk, but again if you are expecting it - no big deal.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,679)

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We had the lamb (curry) and pork dishes and they were both amazing! The owner was fantastic and met with every table to ensure that our experience was perfect. Very cosy, historical atmosphere and a great wine selection.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Yes our dinner was an ode to wine but it was also an ode to food and the experience of dining. All of it was clearly a love affair for the owners of this lovely restaurant. We were greeted at the door as if being welcomed into someone's home. We sat upstairs among the lovely beamed ceilings and open windows with curtains blowing in the evening breeze.
We told Christopher (perhaps the owner?) that we were willing to put ourselves in his hands and let him choose for us. The wine was wonderful and carefully selected and perfect. Every appetizer was delicious. The sheeps milk cheese melted in our mouths. The bread and olives were lovely. The wine was carefully selected. I had the lamb curry and my partner has the fillet. Both were so tender that they could be cut with a butter knife.
We had three (count 'em!) desserts. Every one delicious.
I can't give a better review because the words don't exist for me. It was a lovely, wonderful and highly memorable dinner in a beautiful place of Porto. I only hope I have the opportunity to return one day for a repeat performance!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My experience at ODE Porto Wine house was wonderful. The atmosphere and décor in the restaurant were lovely and set the stage for a great dining experience. We particularly enjoyed the wine that was recommended for our meal and, while all of the menu items were excellent, the pork I ordered really stood out as the best- it was perfect! Best of all, the staff of the restaurant was incredibly attentive in asking about our preferences and making us feel welcome...

Reviewed 13 July 2014

In summary this is one of the best meals i have ever had in my life.
Allow me to explain the series of carefully manicured contradictions which makes Ode to wine a dining experience.
I felt like i was welcomed into a quaint porto home and seated as a family of royals, including my toddler who was treated as a princess, even though the place is much more suited as a romantic retreat
The fact that the ingredients were local was just the beginning. We ordered the cured ham, sausage, olives and cheese platter to begin with. My toddler who was on a food strike for most of our trip, just started munching away. Which itself was very telling. We then ordered the fish pickled in vinegar and served with a beautiful sauce. The fish melted in the mouth, vinegar subtle with the sauce just accentuating the fish. Toddler hog alert here as well.
We ordered the Goan lamb curry for the main course, and it was brilliance. The way the dish was executed brought out the flavors of the meat which would have typically been lost in a curry. The dish was basically deconstructed to meat tenderloin, served with ginger julep, and curry sauce and rice all on the side. The curry was the best i have had in my life, it slides in your mouth with ease offering tiny explosions of different flavors including a kick of spice all mellowed by the secret ingredient, which the chef very kindly shared as apples!
It goes without saying that the wine pairings were impeccable. Including the port. We rounded the meal off with the perfect chocolate based dessert.
Start with the knock the door to be welcomed by its charming owner in to a rustic, yet homely and refined setting. Enjoy the romantic yet familial warmth of the owner, chef and staff. Experience the brimming passion of the owner through the carefully decorated interiors and the curating of a menu through his own travels and the amazingly deceptive skill of the chef. Savor the explosive yet subtle layered flavors of the food and wine. End with a warm conversation, the part where you feel satiated and sad you are leaving this dining experience is simply put a beautiful order of yin and yan.
My only regret and the final contradiction, fell in love with a place and took such a long time to post my review. Do not miss this place when you are in Porto.

1  Thank enthu_traveller