Ode Porto Wine House
Price range: US$68 - US$99
Cuisines: Portuguese, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Welcome to a quite, rustic 19th century house, just in front of river Douro, where Portuguese wine and food are the perfect excuse to forget the world and to enjoy the moment. An open kitchen where we love what we do to whom we do. A wide variety of Portuguese wines (15 by the glass) from which you can choose. Far from confusion, protected yet exposed, we look to pay an Ode to those who visit us - our guests. Relax. Fell at home.
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I went to Ode for out wedding anniversary meal after seeing the wonderful reviews on Tripadvisor and because it was next to our hotel. It did not disappoint. It was wonderful on every level and the owner came to have a chat with us at the end of our meal and very kindly took photographs which he emailed immediately. All the staff go the extra mile to make the experience unforgettable. A truly memorable occasion.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,712)

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I count myself as a fairly accustomed client of good restaurants, (albeit not part of the guide Michelin crowd) and this place knocked my socks off. Somewhat hard to find, hard to get a table and not at all cheap, but worth every cent. The expression of bliss on my girlfriends face when she tasted her beef was priceless (I honestly felt slightly jealous) and mine wasn't close behind when I tried the pork. And don't even get me started on the surprise desert. The host is caring on the border of intense but any mixed feelings you might have will quickly fade away once you try the food he brings. Anyhow it's worth a detour in my book.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Many of the recent reviews have said the same thing we felt about this restaurant. Being welcomed by the owner was a great start. The service and the food were outstanding. Another delight for us was seeing into the kitchen upon our arrival. The kitchen is meticulously maintained although it is very small. And of course the food that comes out of the kitchen is amazing. We were also pleased by the wine selection and the outstanding service from our experienced waiter.
Without a doubt, this was the best meal we experienced on our trip. We also felt it was one of the best meals we have ever enjoyed at a restaurant. It was recommended to us by the concierge at our hotel and could not have been more happy with the recommendation.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Restaurant is easy to find right on the river front, very quaint and pretty location. We were early arriving at 6.45 but the owner still kindly sat us down even though we had interrupted his dinner! Menu offers a great selection all at a very reasonable price! The appetisers are brought to the table and the waiter clearly explains you can choose what you want to keep, bread and olives only €3 the other 2 were €5 (all on the menu). We kept all three! I chose the soup and my husband the swordfish to start, and for mains we had the lamb curry and pork. We both also had desert, we had a delicious ode cocktail which I definitely recommend and my husband had 2 glasses of wine. All of this totalled €120 which for the quality of the food and the unique experience is money well spent! Same food would cost double in London! Totally recommended and would return again.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This place is more than just a very nice restaurant.
The first you are met by, is the owner, who actually steps out to meet you, when your taxi arrives
He then proceeds to guide you inside, and give you a short introduction to the philosophy, by which the ODE Porto Wine House, is created and run.
It is the dream of anyone, picky about what they ingest. Only the best quality fresh vegetables, fruits, and other produe is used. Carefully selected from various areas of Portugal, specializing in-, and renowned for, creating particular product, of top quality.
Having had the introduction, we where seated at our table, in the upstairs.
The restaurant is located in an old building. The way it is modernized, is done with a deep respect, for the seniority of the locale, and sitting there, one eperiences a mix of very good taste in the details in the restoration, and a feeling of decades, perhaps even centuries of history, quitely beckoning from the walls.
Food turned out to be a dream.
The wines are the best money can buy - and at very, VERY fair prices.
The owner will attend to you regularly, and should even the slightest detail be at miss, it is corrected, with the most heartwarming of smiles, IMEDIATLY, and with questioning why
From beginning to end, this turned out to much more than just a nice dinner, because of the locales, the all kind and always smiling staff, and the owner himself, from whom, many, many restaurant owners/managers, could learn a great deal, about creating wonderful experiences
Thank for an absolutely wonderful evening!