“Lovely stay at Homey”

Ranked #55 of 149 Porto B&B and Inns
London
“Lovely stay at Homey”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I have just come back from a 3 night stay at Homey - it was a lovely guesthouse and I would happily recommend it to others.

The best parts are:
1. The welcoming staff - as I was on my own, it really did make the difference, they were not only helpful but also made a real effort to make sure I was comfortable and enjoying my stay. I and checked in quite late, and they made sure someone was there. The breakfast is very nice, and as everyone is around the same table it's a nice way of meeting other people. The staff there really made it a positive experience for me, especially as a solo traveller so thank you to the Joannas and the team there!

2. The view. I had room #3 with the river view (I think it's worth paying extra for it), I loved opening the shutters in the morning, climbing back into bed to read my Kindle with the river in sight, what a lovely way to wake up on a holiday! As others have commented, there isn't a huge amount of space, I was on my own and flew with hand luggage so not a problem for me personally. I think they've done really well with the space overall, it gives it that homely feel. But don't expect tons of space if that's what you're after.

3. The location is also wonderful, being a stone's throw away from the river (which is the best part of Porto I think) and many restaurants (again, useful to not trek far as a solo female traveller) and being able to pop back so easily when relaxing by the river front. There was one night when there was noisy music (oddly, a Sunday night) but I think you might expect that given the location!

Overall, if you're looking for a cosy guesthouse in a great location with welcoming staff, I recommend it!

Room Tip: Room 3 is a room facing the river, recommend it !
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank londontraveller_a12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 3 July 2012

2 nights there and we loved it. The only minor comment is that we had a double bed room overlooking the water (amazing) but the room had little floor area. I think the other rooms were larger. AMAZING service and breakfast. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012
Paris, France
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I really want to insist ! I discovered Homey first by Tripadvisor's commentaries and this very stupid one called "don't go there" ! Then, to be sure to find the right place, I waited to be on the spot, in Porto, to visit the place and the room and decide or not to spend the night there. I had a very specific idea : find a GREAT PLACE for my husband's birthday, a room with the view on the Douro. It was very important for me, and for us. Finally, I arrived with my luggage at Homey's. The welcome was perfect, the place so adorable and original that I say YES directly. No surprise : I knew the room was tiny (yes, very tiny !!!) BUT the house IS tiny ! It's a beautiful original house on the border of the Douro... Do you know there's ONLY 3 guesthouses/hotels on the front ? How can you say the room is a ridiculous when you see the place ? If you want a big room, you choose a palace, or something in the center ! Well, let me tell you that our NIGHT was memorable ! We are big travelers, we like original and nice places, Homey is perfect, clean, the bed was BIG and CONFORTABLE, the view magnificent, the breakfast super. The price ? Come on, you have a view on the Douro (a balcony), does'nt it diserve such a price ? THANK YOU Janet, It's a BEAUTIFUL SOUVENIR for us, I think it's for people who understand culture and who are opened to originality ! GO THERE if you're a couple in love, you will love it !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mathilde T
sussex
Reviewed 10 October 2011

The rooms are not small... i would say "like a LARGE CUPBOARD". They should not be allowed to get away with it. If you were paying 30 or 40 euros maybe, but not the extortionate amount they charge. To give you an idea the width of the room is 6ft wide, you cannot get out of bed without climbing over your partner. DISGRACEFUL. They just push the river view, but you cannot sit and enjoy it as the only thing in the room is the bed, due to the size. Yes that is correct, there are no bedside tables, nor anywhere to put your clothes or for that matter anything. Only one person can stand in the room at any one time!!!! and no privacy in the bathroom because there is a sheet of glass separating the bathroom from the bedroom, fine if you want to see your patner on the loo!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SussexCorkie
canada
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Stayed there 2 nights and had a great time the location and the view just amazing , the charm of the building makes up for the small room we had a bottom room with river view so we sat on the ledge of the terrace and had porto and enjoyed the great view.breakfast was great and George is a great host.definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Good location and very helpful people. Quirky rooms but in a good way!

• Stayed September 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

The Homey has one of the best locations in Porto, right in the the heart of the Ribeira and seconds from the River Douro and numerous romantic waterfront restaurants as well as a short stroll across the bridge to all the port wineries, where you can take reasonably priced tours - this is definitely where you want to be. Yes, it can be noisy as it's in the centre of the action - but that's part of its charm and we enjoyed the chatter from local residents and beautiful fado and guitar music wafting up from nearby restaurants. Even the racket made by the morning seagulls was a joy!

The Homey's small and character-filled with perhaps six rooms, but feels like a small designer hotel rather than a guest house or B&B. The welcome is very friendly and we were immediately offered juice and cake on arrival (and even on leaving, several hours after checking out, as we'd left our luggage there for the day while exploring). And the breakfast is lovely too, with fruits, yoghurts, croissants, cake, cheese, ham and freshly made scrambled eggs.

The rooms are just gorgeous, with lots of carefully thought-out small touches. However, we did ask for a change of room as the first we were offered - despite being chic and with a fab river view - was truly tiny and one person would have had to climb over the other to get out of bed! I believe the upper river view rooms are bigger but we preferred to lose the view and opted for a higher twin room at the front, which had a cobbled street view was larger and more private. We just pushed the beds together and it was just as romantic if not more so.

The price is higher than some small places but unless you want spacious or palatial accommodation the unbeatable location, oozing stylishness and welcome make it worth every penny. Go there!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porto
Apartamentos Sobre O Douro
Descobertas Boutique Hotel
Porto de Rio
Porto de Rio
#38 of 213 in Porto

Been to Homey? Share your experiences!