“Stylish rooms amazing view and lovely staff”
Review of Homey

and 1 more site!
Homey
Ranked #52 of 153 Porto B&B and Inns
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Stylish rooms amazing view and lovely staff”
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

Were a couple in our 30s and we stayed two nights in room 5 at this lovely place and have no complaints. Stunning views, balcony facing the river, fab location, friendly and super helpful staff (Joanna) who gave us great tips on what to see and do which made our stay special.
Yes the rooms are small because of these old narrow portugese houses - one room to the front and one to he back. This is the way these houses are built. Homey has been clever with the space.
Very well worth the price. Would definitely recommend it and would stay again.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Smileytoes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Mendota Heights, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We are a family of four, our children are aged 12 & 15, and we spent 3 nights at Homey in Porto during a week long tour of Portugal.

We arrived in Porto on a friday afternoon, rented a car, and drove into Porto. The first thing I would mention about this arrangement is that the hotel could only recommend places to park, they have no dedicated customer parking. We were extremely fortunate to find on street parking within 3 blocks of the hotel. Given the level of traffic it was indeed a small miracle, as our alternative was a parking lot an additional 3 blocks away that charged 27 euro/ day.

On arrival we were greeted by a very cheerful and helpful young woman who showed us to our rooms and helped get our luggage upstairs (they have an interesting luggage only lift).

As to the rooms, they are very narrow. I would estimate the room to be about 3 meters wide and 4 meters deep, including the bathroom. There was only about 40 cm to walk between the wall and the bed. There was no where to put our clothes so they remained packed. On the plus side the rooms were very clean and the beds comfortable. There was also an excellent view of the riverfront out the french doors that led to a 40 cm wide balcony. The shower, while having okay water pressure ran out of hot water rather quickly. This meant lukewarm/cold showers for the last two people showering. To some extent we were able to improve this situation by getting wet, turning off the shower to soap up, and then rinsing off quickly.

The breakfast that was included int the cost of our stay was very good, and very fresh. Our hostess prepared us scrambled eggs every morning and in addition to a nice selection of cut fruit and pastries, there was also cheese and ham. The coffee was super too.

The location of this little hotel is fantastic. You will find everything within walking distance including the port tasting directly across the river. The only real downside to the location is that it proved to be quite noisey until very late (2 am) on Friday and Saturday night.Even with the windows shut the noise was loud and made sleep difficult.

There is a fantastic restaurant directly across the street, and the staff at Homey were very helpful locating points of interest on the map. All in all I am not sure I would stay there again, but it was still pretty decent.

Room Tip: Try and get the very top floor, then you won't hear people walking around above you.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Prior_Image
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We spent two nights and had a wonderful time. The views of the Douro and Vila Nova de Gaia were amazing. Very close to restaurants, tours, etc. Joana was an awesome hostess and she prepared a wonderful breakfast each morning! Thank you for a wonderful experience and we will be back!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Filomena Da Sil... W
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 20 February 2013

June 2012 we (couple) have spent here four nights - I have forgotten to comment it so..... It was lovely and pleasant time. Homey interior had a fresh new look. Rooms are smaller but it is price for the central location and unique historical building. For a reasonable price you get clean and comfortable narrow studios with a great view. Nice restaurants around (Actually right next doors) - helpful stuff they -provided us with good tips what to see and where to refresh. Suits more for shorter visits because of the size – but Homey´s location is what matters the most. (For art addicts –visit distant but great Serralves Museum of Contemporary Art.)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I have just come back from a 3 night stay at Homey - it was a lovely guesthouse and I would happily recommend it to others.

The best parts are:
1. The welcoming staff - as I was on my own, it really did make the difference, they were not only helpful but also made a real effort to make sure I was comfortable and enjoying my stay. I and checked in quite late, and they made sure someone was there. The breakfast is very nice, and as everyone is around the same table it's a nice way of meeting other people. The staff there really made it a positive experience for me, especially as a solo traveller so thank you to the Joannas and the team there!

2. The view. I had room #3 with the river view (I think it's worth paying extra for it), I loved opening the shutters in the morning, climbing back into bed to read my Kindle with the river in sight, what a lovely way to wake up on a holiday! As others have commented, there isn't a huge amount of space, I was on my own and flew with hand luggage so not a problem for me personally. I think they've done really well with the space overall, it gives it that homely feel. But don't expect tons of space if that's what you're after.

3. The location is also wonderful, being a stone's throw away from the river (which is the best part of Porto I think) and many restaurants (again, useful to not trek far as a solo female traveller) and being able to pop back so easily when relaxing by the river front. There was one night when there was noisy music (oddly, a Sunday night) but I think you might expect that given the location!

Overall, if you're looking for a cosy guesthouse in a great location with welcoming staff, I recommend it!

Room Tip: Room 3 is a room facing the river, recommend it !
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank londontraveller_a12
Reviewed 3 July 2012

2 nights there and we loved it. The only minor comment is that we had a double bed room overlooking the water (amazing) but the room had little floor area. I think the other rooms were larger. AMAZING service and breakfast. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012
Paris, France
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I really want to insist ! I discovered Homey first by Tripadvisor's commentaries and this very stupid one called "don't go there" ! Then, to be sure to find the right place, I waited to be on the spot, in Porto, to visit the place and the room and decide or not to spend the night there. I had a very specific idea : find a GREAT PLACE for my husband's birthday, a room with the view on the Douro. It was very important for me, and for us. Finally, I arrived with my luggage at Homey's. The welcome was perfect, the place so adorable and original that I say YES directly. No surprise : I knew the room was tiny (yes, very tiny !!!) BUT the house IS tiny ! It's a beautiful original house on the border of the Douro... Do you know there's ONLY 3 guesthouses/hotels on the front ? How can you say the room is a ridiculous when you see the place ? If you want a big room, you choose a palace, or something in the center ! Well, let me tell you that our NIGHT was memorable ! We are big travelers, we like original and nice places, Homey is perfect, clean, the bed was BIG and CONFORTABLE, the view magnificent, the breakfast super. The price ? Come on, you have a view on the Douro (a balcony), does'nt it diserve such a price ? THANK YOU Janet, It's a BEAUTIFUL SOUVENIR for us, I think it's for people who understand culture and who are opened to originality ! GO THERE if you're a couple in love, you will love it !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mathilde T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porto
Apartamentos Sobre O Douro
Descobertas Boutique Hotel
Porto de Rio
Porto de Rio
#40 of 220 in Porto

Been to Homey? Share your experiences!