“Nice Hostel in Good Location”

Dixo's Oporto Hostel
Ranked #55 of 262 Speciality Lodging in Porto
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We spent two nights here in November 2013 and enjoyed ourselves. This is a "hostel" and not a hotel/pension, etc. so expect hostel accommodations! We were in a double room so had a bit more privacy than the bunk beds. The place was clean and nicely decorated and the free breakfast was adequate. We enjoyed the "free" walking tour (the guide works for tips) and it gave us a very nice introduction to Porto.

Room Tip: If you are a couple, you can request a double room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed at Dixo's at the end of October. Location is perfect if you want to search out the river front and walk over to Gaia and experience the Port cellars. Everyone at the hostel was friendly and helpful. Rooms were very clean, beds were comfortable, lockers located under the beds. Bathrooms clean and bright. Breakfast is included and is served on the top floor. The terrace can be found on the top floor also. Very worth going up to take photos and enjoy a glass of wine in the sun. We had to catch a plane very early in the morning. The walk to Trindade Metro stop (which alot of is uphill so be prepared) took us about 20 minutes. Centrale Station is just up hill from the hostel.. very short walk.
My only complaint, not just with this hostel but pretty well all that we stayed in. There are never enough hooks in the shower area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Vacationhugger
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

I was excited to stay here because of the reviews! Don't get me wrong, this is a nice hostel. Just not amazing. The location couldn't be more ideal. Staff is very, very helpful and welcoming. The breakfast is good, pretty average tho. Cereal, bread and cheese. I guess I was just expecting more...

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My experience at Dixo's was by far the best out of any hostel I have stayed at. This is not your normal run of the mill hostel, it is special! The hostel itself is fantastically located, beautifully decorated, the beds are comfortable and the hostel offers breakfast! Unheard of in so many other places. The staff are lovely, whilst the owner, Joana, will go far beyond any expectations to help out every one of her guests. This is more then a hostel, staying here is like being part of a family. Could not recommend it more highly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The best thing about Dixo's is its great location, very close to the river. The view from the terrace overlooking the city is very beautiful. The free breakfast of cereal, milk, rolls, juice, nutella, and cheese is a nice touch.
Unfortunately for us, it was an average of 90 degrees Fahrenheit throughout our stay, which made being in the hostel before 10PM and after 9AM unbearable. There are no fans and no air conditioning. The sound of seagulls becomes deafening starting at 6AM, and without the windows open, heat exhaustion would have set in.
The interior of the building itself is beautiful, quaint, and cozy. We read all of the wonderful reviews of Dixo's and were so excited for a romantic stay. I can imagine that coming here during cooler months can be romantic and pleasant. However, there was a miscommunication about which room we were staying in, so my boyfriend and I stayed in a private room with bunk beds that was so small that it was nearly impossible to move. It was inconvenient to go down and up flights of stairs when we needed to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.
I am completely aware that Dixo's cannot be blamed for the temperature during our stay, but I know that days like this do happen every summer. If I could give a recommendation to the owners of Dixo's: please install fans or have portable fans available for rent for your guests! My boyfriend and I chatted with many of the other guests while we were there, and everyone who who we talked to agreed that it was like being trapped in an oven with seagulls!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay very much. The breakfast was good, there was a great and helpful service. Everything was clean. It is located directly in the touristic center, that you do not have to walk a lot. The best thing was the terrace on top of the roof with a view over the whole city.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I passed there the festivities of Saint John with my friends and it was an amazing experience: the owners treated us like kings.
As clean as your mother´s house, super cute and amazing international environment.

Highly recommended.

Thanks for this amazing experience!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends