“Stay here!”
Review of Gallery Hostel

Gallery Hostel
Ranked #2 of 262 Speciality Lodging in Porto
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was one of the best hostels I stayed at during my Eurotrip. Unfortunately, we were only able to stay there one night because we didn't book ahead of time (learn from my mistake!)

Why I liked it: The place was spectacularly clean, had great views and a great location, the staff was very friendly, and the hostel itself has beautiful artwork! The staff was the most hopeful bunch of any hostel I stayed at, knew their way around the city, suggested places to go, and even had a free walking tour. They also were the only place to give us free towels! It is very reasonably priced and dinners are great as well.

My only complaint was that it seemed to attract somewhat of an "older" clientele rather than college travelers like myself, although perhaps we just happened to stay there on a night when there weren't many people my age.

If you're going to Porto, stay here for a few nights.

Room Tip: We got a 4 bedroom room for 20 euro I believe, and it was very nice. Had a bathroom in suite and a t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Connor B
NunoGH, Gerente at Gallery Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Connor,

Thank you for your time on writing your genuine review. We are proud to read you had an amazing experience overall.

We hope to welcome you back on your future visit to Porto :)!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights in May- we wished we could have stayed longer! Found it a little difficult to find walking from the train station so you do need a map. When we checked in, there had been an error in the booking and our private room was not available. It worked out perfectly though because the attic room upstairs was free so we moved into that. It was larger and cheaper anyways so we appreciated it. The one complaint is that there are birds sitting outside on thr roof that wouldn't stop loudly chirping late into the night. Was very thankful for earplugs. Not really the hostels fault. ;) Other than that, we had an amazing experience. The staff recommended places to eat, all that were wonderful. Sunday night we stayed in and ate dinner at the hostel- just ended being us and three staff members and for 10 Euros we had wine, bread, olives, cheese, chicken, ribs, salad.....It was great! It was nice to just sit and chat with the locals at the communal table. Fun little bar with great cocktails as well. Would definitely stay here again, it feels like a little oasis in the middle of a busy city!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vickicala

Dear Vicki,

Thank you very much for your kind review!
It is alwyas a challenge when the system turns against us but thankfully we had the attic room available, which is one of the most requested ones by our repeating guests :)! Regarding the seagulls noises, apparently we have a nest with a few newborns... hopefully they will be flying away soon.
I hope you had a safe trip back home and that you enjoy summer! In the meantime, we will keep up with the tasty dinners :)!
Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 June 2014

first of all thank you Gallery hostel!

We spend five nights with a group of 28 people from 20th april till 25th.

Really great hostel, with great people and nice rooms with good beds.

Nothing more to say, just go and experience for yourself!

Greetings from the University of Rotterdam of Applied Science.

ps: The bar is open 24/7 !!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
NunoGH, Gerente at Gallery Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Michiel,

We do remember you well :)!

Thank you again for having stayed with us and sharing your experience here... it was a pleasure to have you all here.

Maybe you come back next year... we will be around and will welcome you back!

Warm regards

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This place is wonderful. My stag party attendees had our own corridor of 2-3 berth rooms with an adjacent roof terrace. The staff are friendly and enthusiastic and were very helpful. The walking tour is good and it is free. The common areas are all very comfortable and well equipped - the TV with comfy chairs was very good at the end of a long night. Lastly, the food. Oh my god the food. So good. Not only is there unlimited breakfast every day, where the kitchen staff will also make scrambled eggs or sausages to order; but we paid €10 for a BBQ meal which was delicious, including the side dishes and so much food we were all stuffed afterwards. The costs for staying are low also, as you'd expect from a hostel. I honestly can not fault this place in the slightest, and highly doubt I'll ever see a better hostel, and I've stayed in quite a few.

Room Tip: Aim to get one of the rooms below the roof terrace (after going through the kitchen) as this place w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
NunoGH, Manager at Gallery Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your valuable time on writing your honest review :)!

We are glad you had a wonderful time with us and couldn't be happier to know you enjoyed our home made meals... they are always prepared with passion.

Enjoy your Summer time and come back :)!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Right from our arrival at this hostel, we knew our stay would be unlike any hostel we'd been at before! The staff were incredibly friendly, and offered to tour us around the facilities and tell us about the city upon check-in. The attention and service was better than even some of the fanciest hotels I have stayed at before. The building itself is old, but beautifully restored and well maintained. The common areas and rooms were exceptionally clean and comfortable (we stayed in a six-person dorm that was very spacious). Breakfast is included, as are towels, and walking tours (these are run by hostel staff, often locals, so you hear interesting tidbits of information about various parts of the city). One thing I noticed is that a lot of the other guests were older or families with children (I was travelling with other students, ~20 years old). I think this is because the price is a bit higher than some of the other offerings in the area, though I think the value makes it well worth paying a few extra euros! If you stay here, definitely make reservations to do at least one dinner at the hostel! The cost is 10 euros; it is prepared by the owners (who are lovely!) and was fantastic! It fills up quickly, so try to make arrangements earlier rather than later. The hostel also has a movie room, which we enjoyed in the evenings after long days touring Porto and the surrounding area. Finally, take time to explore the area around the hostel. The hostel is in the gallery district, and I think there are a lot of cool little cafés and shops to be discovered; I regret not spending more time doing this. Overall, I cannot say enough good things about this place! I would recommend it to anyone, and would love to go back...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank teeyap3

Dear Teeyap,

Thank you so much for such lovely revire about your stay at the Gallery Hostel.

We are very proud to have been chosen to accomodate you during your stay in Porto. Those words helps us go and strive every day to keep it up :)!

We all wish you an amazing Summer ahead and please come back to see us soo :)!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I don't know what more to say. Three weeks after I stayed there I am still thinking about what a great experience I had there. Location: ideal - minutes from excellent restaurants, bars & shopping and very close to the main attractions in the city. Facilities: clean, BEAUTIFUL & quite luxurious for a hostel. The best part though was the staff. Everyone who worked thee was very friendly. We especially loved Alex - he couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. The hostel offers a great breakfast (free) each morning, and for 10 euro you can eat a three course dinner there (prepared by their resident chef) with other guests and staff. I highly suggest staying at this hostel when visiting Porto - you won't regret it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Aria F
NunoGH, Gerente at Gallery Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Aria F,

I wanted to thank you for reaching out to other future guests by giving your great opinion about your stay with us :)!

We promise to keep up the good work… so when you come back you feel like home again!

Regards,
Adriano Mineiro

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

I loved this hostel!! It was amazing. The staff remembered my name and would introduce new hostel goers to me as they showed them around the hostel. The staff helped me put many times and were extremely helpful with lots of tips!

The Hostel is extremely clean. The amenities are awesome! I worked my way through there port list at the bar but they don't mind you drinking your own wine (which I did more then once in the movie room).

The other hostel goers were friendly, respectful and quiet. Met many people over breakfast in the morning which had scrambled eggs and fruit salad.

All in all one of the best hostels I have been too. It's also an art gallery and amazing inside. Great location too!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sparklylouise

Dear Sparklylouise,

It was a pleasure to read your review about the overall experience at the Gallery Hostel… it made us all very happy to know you felt welcomed here!

Our location is indeed very special… in the Art District, a “corner” away from the Historical Centre and on a quiet street.

Please let us know if you’re thinking of coming again to Porto… We will be delighted to welcome you again in a near future!

Regards,