“Best hostel ever”

Ranked #2 of 225 Speciality Lodging in Porto
Madrid, España
“Best hostel ever”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is the best hostel where I've ever stayed. Rooms are beautiful, confortable, new and super clean. Staff is great and very helpful (Adriano rocks!), they will even give you a tour around the hostel at your arrival. There are plenty of group activities, such as dinner parties and free walking tours (great to meet other guests). Breakfast is included in the price and it's really nice. Location is very good (walking distance to all main attractions and 15 min walk from the metro to the airport and the beach). I was traveling by myself and really felt safe and at home. Will recommend it 100%

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank mfcasanave
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your time on writing this great review.

We take great effort on trying to please our guests by extending a genuine Porto hospitality! Our location is indeed a plus but what pleases us most is your recognition about the service provided :)!.

Since your home is close to Porto, you can always come back for a short trip... we will be around.

Take care and see you maybe soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I don’t even know where to start. This is the nicest hostel I have ever stayed at or seen in the entire world. Other than the fact that we were in dorms room, it actually felt more like a hotel due to cleanliness and beauty. Our rooms were cleaned every single day, beds were made, and a delicious breakfast served every morning by Fatima the Brekky Angel.

That being said it is definitely still a hostel because it is a lot of fun and very social. This is not a party hostel by any means, but that didn’t mean people didn’t meet up and go party and have a great time.

They serve dinners every night made by one of the owner/partner’s wives/mothers- a completely authentic delicious Portuguese meal and a great way to meet other people to head out on the town for the night.

Now on a more personal note: I showed up at 7am after an overnight train from Spain. I couldn’t check in until 3pm, but I was immediately greeted with a smile and given a tour of the hostel. In my exhaustion the gentleman who showed me around told me to feel free to relax downstairs in the theatre room until my check in. In addition, he told me to help myself to breakfast, even though I had yet to check in and pay. I joined the free morning walking tour of the city and really learned my way around, and some history and cool facts about the city. This was just the start of what would continue- absolutely phenomenal customer service every single step of the way. This hostel has hit the mark in every single way, and my only regret in writing this review is that it will get even more popular and I won’t be able to get a spot when I come back to Porto. I absolutely will return. I’d give 1000 stars if I could.

Room Tip: All of the rooms were wonderful. I was in the 6 bed girl's dorm and it was incredibly spacious...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Lindsey7855
Dear Lindsey,

In the name of all, let me thank you for such deep and detailed review :)!

It is reviews like yours that makes us feel proud and aiming for higher guest experiences. We are all very pleased that you trully enjoyed your stay with us.

Now you know, when back in Porto (and we hope you will, especially Fátima ;)) you know where to stay again. We would be delighted to welcome you back at the Gallery Hostel!

Stay safe and keep on travelling the world with such passion.

Best regards,
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This is by far the best hostel i have ever stayed at. We stayed at the private double rooms and it looked like we were in a 4 stars hotel, for the price of a hostel. The ambiance was so nice we didnt want to leve porto. Dinner was so tasty and confortable, it looked like we were at our own home. Thank you to the whole gallery hostel family, we will be back for sure. Best of luck

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Coxito
Dear guest,

Let me thank you for your kind review about your stay at the Gallery Hostel. We are very glad to know you had a wonderful experience with us.

We always strive to offer the best experience to each guest.

Best regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great hostel that is not lacking anything - has all the amenities you will need from bike rental and internet to laundry and home cinema. Fully recommend. Porto is also a joy. Enjoy a dry white port and tonic in the hostel bar - it is fab.

Room Tip: lovely serviced double rooms. evening meal option well worth it./
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeterIRE
Dear Peter,

In the name of the team I want to thank you for your positive review.
I am also glad to know you had a great time with us.

Keep enjoying the Summer :).

Best,
Sydney
Reviewed 4 August 2014

A little way away from the main area of the city in the art and design district (midway between Sao Bento and Casa Da Musica), but the location is still great, with plenty of places to shop for vintage finds, as well as green grocers and supermarkets if you want to self cater. The riverfront is completely walkable in 15 minutes. It's also close to the university and the students bars around the area.
Hostel staff were mostly great, but the map and directions to get here are a bit tricky. I recommend plotting your way from train station/etc. yourself before arriving.
The layout of the hostel is great and sensitive to the heritage of the building. The ladies running the kitchen are lovely. Included breakfast is self serve in a lovely kitchen area and includes cereal, muesli, milk, orange juice, fruit salad, bread/toast, cakes, cold cuts of meat and sliced cheese. The dorm rooms are large and have their own bathrooms. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Gallery Hostel to friends, but I'd encourage anyone to splash out on a private room as I found the noise and lights from the use of the bathroom in the dorms terrible for sleep.

Room Tip: Skip the dorm if you can. I can't speak from experience, but I imagine the private rooms have th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank AlyssaAnne
Dear Anne,

Thank you very much for such detailed review.

We do appreciate your precious time on leaving your honest comments and take great pride on being able to provide such great experiences.

We will be around for your next visit to Porto :)!

Greater Perth, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Ok what a great location, make sure you do the walking tour with Pala she was a bundle of local history and passionate about sharing it, once we did this we knew exactly where to go and what to see everyday. The port and wine caves were at the top of our list and spent 3 days back and forward. Put your comfortable shoes on as the streets are a little hilly but hey thats Porto. Only one small change that could be looked at, as we stayed 7 days would have been nice to see some thing different at breakfast..but no points deducted for this

Room Tip: If your a couple take the private rooms out the back
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Deetroy8
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review!

We're glad to know you greatly enjoyed the free historical center tour done by Paula. It is definitely a must for our guests :).

Our location is one of the "secret" gems about us... quietly vibrant and a step away from the buzzing center.

We all hope to welcome in a near future.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I spent a few weeks in Portugal with some friends and we decided to take a road trip up to Porto and check out the Port wine caves and the town of Porto and then head east to drive wine country and the Douro.

At first glance from the street Gallery Hostel is somewhat hidden so we were skeptical as to our selection. Right when we stepped through the doors that changed pretty quickly. The place was recently redone and having worked on several boutique hotel renovations trust me when I say, THESE GUYS DID IT RIGHT! The design is inspiring, the layout is social, the location is perfect, and the staff is awesome! I could go on and on about how awesome this place was. Next time I'm in Porto I will definitely be back! Thanks Gallery Team!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Adam H
Dear Adam,

Let me thank you for your time on writing this review!

All of us feel very proud to have contribute for your great experience while in Porto!
You can rest assured we will keep the good work to make sure we provide an even better stay at the Gallery Hostel on your return :).

Hope you're having a great summer!