“Torn on this review”

Ranked #20 of 106 Hotels in Porto
Dunstable, Massachusetts
“Torn on this review”
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Hubby and I spent two delightful nights at this hotel. As members of LHW, we were upgraded to an amazing suite on the 17th floor. Yeah, the TV at the end of the bath tub was neat and the suite lovely. Most of all, the service and attention to detail by the staff MUST be noted. The concierge service was outstanding. Sophia got us great tickets to a jazz performance at Casa da Musica and made sure all questions were answered as to transportation and places to visit. This certainly greatly enhanced our stay in Porto.
I must also highly commend our treatment and the food in the Portuguese restaurant. I was very taken by the quality and taste of the olive oil served with the bread and commented on it wondering where it could be purchased. Lo and behold, the chef made it possible to purchase a bottle of Quinta Vale do Conde olive oil. Such things rarely happen and it was a delight I will treasure and enjoy every time I get to enjoy this olive oil at home.
There are two nagging negatives I must recount. As a technology person, there is definitely some thing wrong with the wireless. I brought my iPad with me and had NO problems logging on at the many hotels we stayed in over our three week work/vacation trip. I did get my laptop on the network but ended up hard wiring my husband's laptop so he could do his work email. This is a problem that could be easily resolved with proper technology help.
Just before arriving at the hotel in Porto, we stayed at another LHW in Cascais. We had rather got used to the quality of breakfast items offered and the display of such. The breakfast buffet is definitely not up to this standard of that or the other LHW in Lisbon that we stayed. Breakfast was disappointing but not the staff who did their best.
Please do not take me wrong. Without a doubt, we would return to this hotel when we return to Porto. I would say the staff and the quality of the rooms are of the a five star hotel of the highest standard and the minor disappointments fade in comparison to the positives.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Claudia N
PPHOTEL, General Manager at Porto Palacio Congress Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2011

Greetings from Porto!

I would like to thank you for having selected Porto Palácio Congress Hotel & SPA for your recent stay in Porto city, and for having taken the time to give us your feed-back, a most valuable contribution to continuously improve the quality of our services.

I was delighted to read of your last stay here with us. Our goal is to make sure that all guests feel as they belong during their time with us and that each visit is a special one.

Regarding the internet wifi connection we are extremely sorry we haven’t been able to meet all your expectations. This was due to an external line breakdown.
We are already taking the measures we believe appropriate in order to improve our internet service delivery for your next stay.

Also concerning the buffet breakfast composition we appreciate your coments and will certainly take them in consideration.

Looking forward to welcome you again in Hotel Porto Palácio!

Eugénia Queirós

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I stayed here on a short business trip and was very impressed overall. This is a classic corporate hotel where you find it difficult to really find any faults. I would assume is at minimum some 10-15 years old and as such they have kept it very well. Very friendly staff, clean fresh rooms with great views of town, good location if you have overall business to do in old and newer Porto. The rooms have free internet and I particularly liked the beds with soft fresh smelling sheets and perfectly sized pillows for sleeping purposes. Bathroom light and easy to manoeuvre in, good enough for 2. Shower head big but they need to clean the holes so that water comes out in generous quantities rather than thin, almost vapourized format, its not a steam room you know. Toilet separate with a bide' for all day long cleanliness. The chocolate on the pillow was Magnum which I thought only came in ice cream format (good idea it wasn't an ice cream though), what a treat. Expensive mini bar though in an otherwise very good value for money 5 star hotel (I guess they make the money here?). The breakfast was really good and worthwhile having even if you don't stay here. Possibly the only downer is the location down at minus 1 level with no windows so you have nothing to look at other than fellow guests and fortunately for me there were some good looking ones immersed in their pancakes, fruit salads and morning papers. Oh yes, the papers were good too by the way but I would suggest the hotel moving the breakfast up to top floor with 360 views of Porto. The top floor is reserved for VIP guests and seemed deserted when I visited so maybe try breakfasts for all there and VIP stuff the rest of the day? This would maximise the guest experience for more guests. Anyway. I eat at 2 of their restaurants and would ignore the italian next time but gladly re-visit the Japanese. The food was delicious and the place full of guests with a good vibe (the italian was deserted). I cannot fault much here and would easily return next time in Porto. Well done.

• Stayed August 2011
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Excellent hotel in a broad avenue, very well communicated with the metro to the airport bus stop Casa da Musica (7 min walk) and to the wonderful bus system that runs the city (stop 1 min). Perfectly located for access to old city center, near the Museum of Contemporary Art Fundacao de Serralves (bus 10 min), and the great promenade of Avenida de Montevidéu (15 min bus).
As a hotel chain Leading Hotels of The World's "Deluxe Room" is great with designer bathroom, bathtub with TV and all the luxuries of a 5 star. The deal for the members of this chain is very special and full of details such as upgrade in rooms, free wifi, breakfast buffet, glass of port on arrival at the hotel reception, etc..
The staff were very friendly and helpful, breakfast buffet, with champagne in the VIP Lounge on the top floor with wonderful views of the city where you can enjoy a drink in the evenings, chill out terrace style.
It has several restaurants and especially recommend the Imperial Palace, a gourmet Japanese sushi bar first and Porto Beer for a good beer. For those who need to buy something 5 minutes from the hotel is a well-stocked supermarkets and pharmacies.
The hotel has an indoor swimming pool free access for customers, but the pool really recommend is the Maloclinic Spa with lounge, massage areas, soothing drinks, all in design.
We spend 3 nights at this great place, and sure We'll be back soon.

Room Tip: Delux Rooms are the best ones, great view.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank alkuino
PPHOTEL, General Manager at Porto Palacio Congress Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Porto Palácio Congress Hotel & SPA, namely our location, deluxe rooms, exclusive restaurants and our heavenly VIP Lounge.

As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World we highly value your feedback which enables us to maintain the high standards of our brand.

Thank you for having the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor which we are sure will help other travellers to experience our hotel services as well as to promote Porto destination.

Looking forward to be welcoming you soon in a near future.

Fontainebleau, France
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Excellent room, great price and extremely friendly service. From the bell boy, the concierge, the reception desk, the spa and the breakfast manager - everyone was super nice and super efficient. Didn't expect such personalized attention in one of the large 5 stars - I've stayed at quite a few and while the facilities are equally nice, the service and attention to your needs is much better. Absolutely loved our stay...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wanderlust_advsior

Greetings from Porto!

Thank you for your stay at Porto Palácio Congress Hotel & SPA.
It is indeed very rewarding to receive such comments, especially concerning the quality of our service and staff attention.
Your important review certainly help in motivating our team to always provide you a better experience.
Looking forward to be welcoming you back at Hotel Porto Palácio in a not too distant future.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I have stayed here for two nights, recently. The hotel is really good looking, check-in staff courteous and fast.
I had room in 15th floor, nice view. Room was comfortable and modern, meets 5-star standards, however, I would expect coffee/tea maker in the room.
Internet connection ok. I was little bit disappointed from the breakfast. For this hotel class, the selection was very average, almost no fresh vegetables, only fruit. I have stayed in 3/4 star hotels with better selection for breakfast.
Hotel has a pool downstairs as well as gym. I was particularly interested in the pool so I went there before breakfast. You have to have SWIMMING CAP for the pool, which I find little bit odd and never encountered in any other hotel. If you do not have cap (who does), you can buy one for 3 EUR which is not so bad for item you will probably never use again. Make sure you visit restaurant at 19th floor which has also open deck. Very nice, although may be chilly late in the might.

In overall, this hotel is beautiful with big modern and comfortable rooms. Some things surprised me little bit but i overall I liked the stay very much.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank yohnny
PPHOTEL, General Manager at Porto Palacio Congress Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for having chosen the Porto Palácio Congress Hotel & SPA for your recent stay in Porto.

We do thank you for your comments!

Your constructive opinions regarding the in-room coffee/tea maker and the hotel breakfast will be taken in consideration and are the most valuable contribution to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Looking forward to be welcoming you back in Hotel Porto Palacio in a not too distant future.

Best regards from Porto,

Auckland
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Probably one one of the best hotels my wife and I have ever stayed at
Very modern , superb service and staff , very good restaurants on site
Rooms immaculate
Charge for parking but free internet
Definitely we would stay again

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank newmarket18
PPHOTEL, General Manager at Porto Palacio Congress Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
Dear Guest,

It is indeed very rewarding to receive at Porto Palácio Congress Hotel & SPA Customers like yourself, who take the time to convey their thanks to us.

Such comments certainly help in motivating our staff and more importantly assist us to provide a more personal service.

Looking forward to be welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Thank you so much!

Best Regards,
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I was there for 3 nights for a business meeting. Perfect service and a wonderful room. They all make you feel as a very welcome guest every minute! Loved the Taxi Service on Wednesday evening! He told us all places "to see". 100% - I will stay there again. The breakfast is TOP and the "Nautilus Bar" has a touch of a british. I liked it really :)

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Urbanwolves

Greetings from Porto!

I would like to thank you for having selected Porto Palácio Congress Hotel & Spa for your last stay and business meeting in Porto.

Your feed-back is the most valuable contribution to continuously improve the quality of our services.

I was delighted to read of your last stay here with us especially your positive comments on taxi service, breakfast and Nautilus Bar.

Looking forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you again soon at our property.