“great hotel, interesting city,super holiday!”

Porto Palacio Congress Hotel & Spa
Ranked #20 of 106 Hotels in Porto
Braintree, United Kingdom
“great hotel, interesting city,super holiday!”
Reviewed 9 September 2011

The hotel staff were courteous, friendly, very helpful and attentive.

The whole hotel experience was luxurious and calming,just what is needed for a relaxing and pampered break.
p.s.
one needs to be fit to cope with walking up and down the steep hills but the transport was readily available to make exploring easier.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank janet n
PPHOTEL, General Manager at Porto Palacio Congress Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 September 2011
Dear Guest,

Greetings from sunny Porto!

It is very rewarding to receive Guests like yourself, who take the time to convey their thanks to us.
Such comments certainly help in motivating our staff and more importantly assist us to provide a more personal service.

We are also very glad to ear about your good experience on our wonderful city of Porto!

Looking forward to be welcoming you back at Porto Palácio Congress Hotel & Spa in a not too distant future.

Thank you so much!

Best Regards,

Eugénia Queirós

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Canton, Georgia
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed three nights. We found the staff professional and responsive to our many questions. Our package included breakfast. The breakfast had a good choice of items with excellent service. In terms of comfort and amenities the hotel is first rate. They had a two for one special in the spa. My wife, who loves massages, booked two while I was off "conferencing." She found the spa and booked treatments peaceful and restful. The hotel is in the Boavista neighborhood which is either a cab ride, or a 10 minute walk and underground ride to the center of attractions (and the old city). We would recommend not eating in the restaurants. For convenience we ate at Grappa one night-- the food was uninspired, but not overpriced.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redneckersson5
PPHOTEL, General Manager at Porto Palacio Congress Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Porto Palácio Congress Hotel & Spa during your recent stay in Porto and for enhancing the quality of our hotel services and location.

Your opinion is the most valuable contribution to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Regarding the hotel restaurants we are sorry we haven’t been able to meet all your expectations but we rest assure that these will be fulfilled on a next stay at Hotel Porto Palácio.

We do look forward to be welcoming you in a not too distant future.

Ireland
Reviewed 23 August 2011

This is my second stay here. The first time in 2001 memorable for the food and the port. 10 years on, some physical restructuring has been done but the hotel values still remain.

Friendly welcoming reception staff eager to help me with my bad Portuguese. Nice room with good views. Had the Sunday brunch on arrival in the rooftop restaurant. Oh man - excellent quality, value and kids eat free.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to eat in the restaurant in the evenings as the dinner is too late in the evening for our children. Did have food in the bar and it was excellent. Had an evening meal in the Portobeer at the front of the Hotel on the second night which again was excellent and finally after 10 days in Portugal I found decent beer to drink!
Breakfast I thought was adequate. Used the pool and sauna on the second day and thought the facilities were superb.
Location is quiet good and one can stroll down the Avenida to the park.

On the second day my rental car was being collected from the hotel and lets just say that the kind lady at reception represented me admirably when I was having hassle with the rental company and put them in their place.

WiFi was an issue for me too. No trouble in the lobby/bar or the toilet for that matter. But no go in the bedroom. Another suggestion for breakfast for us tea drinkers would be to have the boiling water and tea bags available to make our own so that a) we can make it the way we like and b) we are not waiting an age to get it. Only a small thing. And I for one wouldn't find it beneath me to make my own tea. Secondly a selection of International beers in the bar would be welcome. I appreciate the promotion of national beers etc but choice is good. I love Portugal, its people, food and wine but the beer is not to my taste.
Overall the Porto Palacio would be the only reason I would want to return to Porto.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Agredable
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for having the time to give us, and all Tripadvisor community, your important review.

We're sure it will help other travellers like yourself, once they arrive in this lovely city for the first time or in a repeated stay.

I was very pleased to receive your opinion regarding our VIP Lounge sunday brunch, the beers at Portobeer and the hotel location. Such comments certainly help in motivating our staff and more importantly assist us to provide a more excellent service.

Also your comments about our tea service and international beers selection will be taken in consideration.
Regarding the wifi internet connection we are currently finalizing the contract for new wi-fi provider.

Me and my team will be most happy to assist you in future visits to Hotel Porto Palácio.

Kindest Regards,

Cranston, Rhode Island
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Review - Hotel Porto Palacio

This hotel was on our second stop on our drive through Portugal and 2-night stay in the beautiful city of Porto.  Hotel Porto Palacio is a classy, gorgeous 5-star hotel  with exceptional rooms and facilities.  The lobby was warm and inviting, and the staff was extremely friendly, eager to assist, and even offered us a glass of port to welcome us.  The rooms are ultra-modern, spacious, clean, and comfortable.  With extras like mints on the pillow, turn-down service,  slippers by the bedside, heated towel racks, and separate toilet and vanity areas, this hotel went above and beyond our exectations.  Our stay included breakfast with plenty of options including scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, crepes, fruit and pastry.  There is a full-service spa and health club, complete with two indoor pools, one for laps and one for recreational swimming, as well as a jacuzzi.  We found the pools and gym areas to be perfect for the serious gym rat, but not as inviting to guests like us simply seeking a relaxing spot for a swim or preferring to soak in the sunshine.  The rooftop bar was a nice place to relax with a nightcap with scenic views of city.  We were even lucky enough to witness fireworks off in the distance.  One suggestion I would make relating to the rooftop bar, however, is to perhaps prohibit young children in the evenings, to afford a more quiet and relaxing environment for the adults.  We were looking for a nice quiet place for a nightcap, but found the noise from little kids running around the room to be disruptive.  Otherwise, Hotel Porto Palacio is a high quality hotel, perfect for business people as well as tourists, and I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed August 2011
Dear Guest,

Greetings from sunny Porto!

I would like to thank you for having selected Porto Palacio Congress Hotel & Spa for your short stay in Porto and for having taken the time to give us your feed-back.
This is the most valuable contribution to continuously improve the quality of our services.

I was delighted to read of your last stay here with us, especially your positive comments regarding the quality of service of our staff, our in-room amenities, the health & fitness facilities and breakfast composition.

We have also taken notice of your opinion regarding the access of all guests to the VIP Lounge and will take this in consideration.

Looking forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you again soon at our property.

Dunstable, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Hubby and I spent two delightful nights at this hotel. As members of LHW, we were upgraded to an amazing suite on the 17th floor. Yeah, the TV at the end of the bath tub was neat and the suite lovely. Most of all, the service and attention to detail by the staff MUST be noted. The concierge service was outstanding. Sophia got us great tickets to a jazz performance at Casa da Musica and made sure all questions were answered as to transportation and places to visit. This certainly greatly enhanced our stay in Porto.
I must also highly commend our treatment and the food in the Portuguese restaurant. I was very taken by the quality and taste of the olive oil served with the bread and commented on it wondering where it could be purchased. Lo and behold, the chef made it possible to purchase a bottle of Quinta Vale do Conde olive oil. Such things rarely happen and it was a delight I will treasure and enjoy every time I get to enjoy this olive oil at home.
There are two nagging negatives I must recount. As a technology person, there is definitely some thing wrong with the wireless. I brought my iPad with me and had NO problems logging on at the many hotels we stayed in over our three week work/vacation trip. I did get my laptop on the network but ended up hard wiring my husband's laptop so he could do his work email. This is a problem that could be easily resolved with proper technology help.
Just before arriving at the hotel in Porto, we stayed at another LHW in Cascais. We had rather got used to the quality of breakfast items offered and the display of such. The breakfast buffet is definitely not up to this standard of that or the other LHW in Lisbon that we stayed. Breakfast was disappointing but not the staff who did their best.
Please do not take me wrong. Without a doubt, we would return to this hotel when we return to Porto. I would say the staff and the quality of the rooms are of the a five star hotel of the highest standard and the minor disappointments fade in comparison to the positives.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Claudia N
PPHOTEL, General Manager at Porto Palacio Congress Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2011

Greetings from Porto!

I would like to thank you for having selected Porto Palácio Congress Hotel & SPA for your recent stay in Porto city, and for having taken the time to give us your feed-back, a most valuable contribution to continuously improve the quality of our services.

I was delighted to read of your last stay here with us. Our goal is to make sure that all guests feel as they belong during their time with us and that each visit is a special one.

Regarding the internet wifi connection we are extremely sorry we haven’t been able to meet all your expectations. This was due to an external line breakdown.
We are already taking the measures we believe appropriate in order to improve our internet service delivery for your next stay.

Also concerning the buffet breakfast composition we appreciate your coments and will certainly take them in consideration.

Looking forward to welcome you again in Hotel Porto Palácio!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I stayed here on a short business trip and was very impressed overall. This is a classic corporate hotel where you find it difficult to really find any faults. I would assume is at minimum some 10-15 years old and as such they have kept it very well. Very friendly staff, clean fresh rooms with great views of town, good location if you have overall business to do in old and newer Porto. The rooms have free internet and I particularly liked the beds with soft fresh smelling sheets and perfectly sized pillows for sleeping purposes. Bathroom light and easy to manoeuvre in, good enough for 2. Shower head big but they need to clean the holes so that water comes out in generous quantities rather than thin, almost vapourized format, its not a steam room you know. Toilet separate with a bide' for all day long cleanliness. The chocolate on the pillow was Magnum which I thought only came in ice cream format (good idea it wasn't an ice cream though), what a treat. Expensive mini bar though in an otherwise very good value for money 5 star hotel (I guess they make the money here?). The breakfast was really good and worthwhile having even if you don't stay here. Possibly the only downer is the location down at minus 1 level with no windows so you have nothing to look at other than fellow guests and fortunately for me there were some good looking ones immersed in their pancakes, fruit salads and morning papers. Oh yes, the papers were good too by the way but I would suggest the hotel moving the breakfast up to top floor with 360 views of Porto. The top floor is reserved for VIP guests and seemed deserted when I visited so maybe try breakfasts for all there and VIP stuff the rest of the day? This would maximise the guest experience for more guests. Anyway. I eat at 2 of their restaurants and would ignore the italian next time but gladly re-visit the Japanese. The food was delicious and the place full of guests with a good vibe (the italian was deserted). I cannot fault much here and would easily return next time in Porto. Well done.

• Stayed August 2011
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Excellent hotel in a broad avenue, very well communicated with the metro to the airport bus stop Casa da Musica (7 min walk) and to the wonderful bus system that runs the city (stop 1 min). Perfectly located for access to old city center, near the Museum of Contemporary Art Fundacao de Serralves (bus 10 min), and the great promenade of Avenida de Montevidéu (15 min bus).
As a hotel chain Leading Hotels of The World's "Deluxe Room" is great with designer bathroom, bathtub with TV and all the luxuries of a 5 star. The deal for the members of this chain is very special and full of details such as upgrade in rooms, free wifi, breakfast buffet, glass of port on arrival at the hotel reception, etc..
The staff were very friendly and helpful, breakfast buffet, with champagne in the VIP Lounge on the top floor with wonderful views of the city where you can enjoy a drink in the evenings, chill out terrace style.
It has several restaurants and especially recommend the Imperial Palace, a gourmet Japanese sushi bar first and Porto Beer for a good beer. For those who need to buy something 5 minutes from the hotel is a well-stocked supermarkets and pharmacies.
The hotel has an indoor swimming pool free access for customers, but the pool really recommend is the Maloclinic Spa with lounge, massage areas, soothing drinks, all in design.
We spend 3 nights at this great place, and sure We'll be back soon.

Room Tip: Delux Rooms are the best ones, great view.