“rude staff , oldfashioned rooms, smelly corridors, great location, good breakfast”

Grande Hotel Do Porto
Ranked #34 of 108 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed 17 July 2009

When we arrived at the hotel, one woman (the receptionist) very rude, asked for everyone Identity card (we were three persons),and kept the cards with her, what realy was a surprise as it never happened before in all the trips I've done. As I had booked the rooms through a travel agency when I returned to Lisbon, i went there and asked if this was a normal procedure. They said, "No, it's not nornal. They only should ask for the Identity card of the person who booked the rooms and not of the other people." we didn't like this attitude...but I must say the other members of the staff were polite, especially one man ,older than the others, who was very kind and helped us with the luggage.
The hotel is in a very busy street, very central but its decoration is very oldfashioned.

we didn't liked the room it was given to us, ( a room in a basement) as we paid a great deal of money, and the corridors were smelly.

I'm sure we'll find a better hotel when we 'll visit Porto this year as we adore this beautiful town. we didn't feel welcome in Grande Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 June 2009

This Hotel has charm and character. We stayed for 10 nights. Staff were wonderful, arranged a taxi with driver Manuel to meet us at the airport also to take us back. We had a room on the 2nd floor. Spotless. Bathroom very clean as were the beds. Shutters on the windows, and not much of a view, but this is an old hotel 19th century. Good breakfast, plenty of choice. Jose at reception spoke perfect English and booked 2 tours for us. We have been to Porto before and love the city and the people. We had dinner twice in the Hotel, varied menu, good prices. There is a lovely lounge with marble pillars, comfortable sofas and daily papers. Also a very nice bar. Santa Caterina is a great pedestrianed street with a shoping mall and plenty of individual shops. Would definatley
go back to this Hotel. Weather was lovely too.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I didn't like at all my stay at this hotel. The room wasn't comfortable, but very dark and cold. The heating was not in service because it was 1st May when we arrived and despite it was raining and the room temperature showed 17 C. The stuff didn't speak other languages except portugeese, I tried to communicate in english. german, italian and french, but only one young woman could speak good english, the rest used some words in english or not at all. The hotel didn't have a room for entertaining except a bar in front of our room. Breakfast was average.
The area also didn't show anything, it was very boring in the night, there was only a shopping center nearby where we could eat or drink something.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2009

The hotel has a fantastic breakfast room and the common areas are lovely. The room,. however, was dark and lacked sufficient lighting. Very sparce and not consistent with the rest of the hotel. There might have been better rooms, but ours was kind of creepy.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2009

This was one of the most expensive hotels on our trip and I didn't like it. They were doing construction and the room smelled like glue (I changed rooms, but the smell was there, too) The room was tiny and dark. My husband and I had difficulty finding a place for our suitcases and there wasn't enough room for two people to pass in the room without one moving off beside the bed or into the bathroom. The hallway carpets were stained. The lobby, however, was grand. The staff was effecient but lacked personality. The hotel faces an almost pedestrian-only shopping street. Some might like all this action, but I felt like I was walking
into a school of fish each time we left to go somewhere.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmreves
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Spent 4 nights here it was very good room rather small so was bathroom but very clean lovely clean sheets/towels daily. Staff very helpful telling which buses to use and where to eat traditional food and breakfast was fine although not much imagination rather samey. Had afternoon tea at Majestic and drinks there expensive but worth it. Went to beach twice on bus 500 and lay in deckchairs drinking white wine it was so hot. Visited cathedral, walked the bridge, and climbed the tower all 225 steps. Took the tram everywhere no need for taxis just watch out for beggars and thieves I had my bag stolen by someone who had taken one before mine we caught a glimpse as he ran off left me feeling scared as I am so careful. But will go back what a versitile city.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jojoNorwich
Reviewed 27 November 2008

My husband, myself and 2 friends stayed here on a short weekend break (22 - 24 November 2008). We flew with Ryanair and arrived late evening. We took the highly efficient Metro from the airport to Bolhão Station (Line E (Violet) cost 1.95 euros, tickets purchased from the machine at the airport station) for the approx 30 mins journey. The hotel is an easy 5 mins walk from Bolhão Station.

The hotel is situated on the main shopping street, which is pedestrianised. The hotel salon is very impressive, as is the dining room with ornate mirrors, marble columns and huge chandeliers. The bedrooms have obviously been made smaller than the originals and modernised. The room we were in was small but adequate. The bathroom was clean and the water hot and plentiful. The breakfasts were good, my only complaint being that the sausages and scrambled eggs could have been hotter. Cheeses/meat/breads/cereal all plentiful.

The Cafe Majestic is over the road from the hotel and is well worth a visit if you fancy a trip back in time! Unchanged since it became a cafe in 1923, it's absolutely fantastic and we thoroughly enjoyed afternoon tea there to the strains of the grand piano - bliss! Afternoon tea of sandwiches/scones/pastries/tea, coffee or chocolate was 10 euros per person, but the waitress suggested that we had 2 instead of 4, and, when we had eaten that, order more if necessary. Can't imagine anywhere in England advising you to spend less than you were prepared to!

We bought a ticket on the Ribeira Quay for 17 euros each which gave us a 55 mins River Douro trip, a 48 hour hop on/hop off city bus trip and entry to one of the port lodges, which I thought was extremely good value for money.

We found Porto extremely reasonable pricewise and would not hesitate in recommending both Porto and the Grande Hotel Do Porto.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends