“THE BEST 3 STARS HOTEL EVER, EXCELLENT SERVICE, LOCATION, STYLE”

Grande Hotel Do Porto
Ranked #32 of 108 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed 27 July 2010

i booked my room through the hotel website and found a reasonably good rate. reservation handled easily. check-in smooth and efficient. room rather small but adequate with a window i wished it was slightly bigger. very nice and large bathroom. nice modern decoration, flat tv set, hairdryer temporarily out of order and promptly replaced. excellent and copious breakfast taken in a glorious smartly refurbished turn-of-the-century grand dining room which also serves for lunch and dinner. hotel offers very good value and good food buffet lunch every day. hotel has a nice modern-english-style bar where to sip good port wine and a fantastic elegant reading room with nice sofas and large table where you can relax writing your postcards and read newspapers. beautiful wedgewood-style long corridor leading to the dining room where hotel famous guests (among them the dalai lama) commentaries adorn the walls. professional and efficient service throughout the hotel. had the incredible suprise of finding in my room once back from a full day of sightseeing, on the very day of my birthday, a bottle of champagne and a tray of fresh fruit: never had such a nice thought from a hotel anywhere else in my whole traveller's life. hotel is located in the very center of town, along a pedestrian street, almost in front of the magnificent historical café majestic. beautiful experience, absolutely to be recommended, also for such a beautiful town as oporto is

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 July 2010

Previous negative posts had me nervous about my five night reservation; I even tired to change it. Am I glad I couldn’t as this hotel is a jewel! The superbly designed decor in the ground floor areas, reception, sitting room and dining room has kept an elegant turn of the century atmosphere. Sometimes I felt that my tourist attire and sneakers were out of place and we should all be wearing gowns and bowler hats.
The staff is excellent and friendly, the restaurant has an incredible lunch buffet and good dinners.
We never felt unsafe, although its walking street location makes it be a bit lonelier in the evening, but therefore also quieter.
CONS: The rooms. There is such a big diference between the ground floor and the rooms that you feel as if you are in a different hotel. We were shown to room 214. We have never seen a tinier room in all of our travels. The must have been 12 inches all around the bed. The bathroom was almost bigger than the room. We went downstairs and inquired about a larger room, they said they were full, but a suite room 300, was available for 20 Euros more, “a very special price,” we were told. We took it. (My husband has the theory that everyone is shown 214 first.) This suite consisted of two large rooms, but with a strange layout. The bedroom had no TV, this was in the adjacent room that housed a single bed, a sitting chair, the closet, mini-bar and the writing desk and chair. So, you could not watch TV in bed. The decor was barren, not a painting on the walls, black velvet-like bed covers. Yuck. However, it was very clean and ROOMY and our AC worked perfectly and silently. If the Grand Hotel do Porto continues its renovations to the rooms it could be a four star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Not forgetting it's a 3* hotel, I still need to say that despite the location being pretty good and looking pretty high class at first sight, the hotel is not more than average.
The rooms are now renovated, OK, but they are still pretty small and the heater/aircon box in room is just awful. I also didn't like the bed and although I understand it's an old building, they should do something about the noise isolation - we could hear the man in the room next door snoring in the night. Really bad!
About the location, honestly, if I have to go to Porto again, I will try to find something closer to Clerigos (or Aliados).
One thing that was pretty scarry about the location, was the homeless people outside in Rua S. Catarina - they were sleeping in front of the entrance of some shops and we even saw one taking drugs just next to the hotel entrance.
We did like the breakfast, though, and the staff was ok.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Stopped here with my wife for 3 nights at beginning of March. The hotel is in a great position on one of the main pedestrianised streets in Porto. We paid for a superior room which was fine, not overbig but clean with bath and shower. Downside was that the heating was a bit noisy. Breakfast was mainly continental + scrambled eggs and some little sausages which we didnt try . Hotel is undergoing restoration but we werent bothered by it.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2010

We spent two nights in this hotel.
Location is excellent, but try the quality inn or mercure which are just up the road and seem a lot nicer.
The hotel needs incredible renovation which is undergoing, BUT service is just awful.
I would have overlooked the renovation inconvenience had we been greeted in a better way. The afternoon staff who registered us were not nice, neither was the evening or morning staff. Everyone was rude. We do not speak portuguese, and english is not our native tongue. We do speak french, spanish and italian... regardless, they pretended not to understand us.

Rooms are small, smell like disinfectant, but are spotless clean. Decor is new but not nice. The beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are spacious and clean.

Breakfast was abundant, with eggs, a variety of breads and home made jams. Cereals, cheese and cold cuts. Coffee was terrible, but being Italian we tend to be picky.
the dining room is sterile and not welcoming at all. It has been raining constantly since we arrived, and would have dined in the restaurant had the dining room been slightly more appealing.

We did not enjoy Porto. Or avoid it in the winter. The city feels uninhabited. There are a lot of abandoned buildings, and churches that need some serious cleaning. I got the impression that the city is a miniature copy of some paris neighborhoods but the splendor it once lived has long been forgotten. I would not visit it again, nor would I recommend it. Stay in Lisbon longer.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank potbelliedpig
Reviewed 10 January 2010

We spent two nights in Grande Hotel at the beginning of January. Before that I was browsing in Internet many hours trying to find suitable hotel for our family consisting of 5 people, including my 3 years old granddaughter. My target was to find comfortable hotel close to Santa Catarina street (we all like shopping), good restaurants and historical part of the city.
And Grande Hotel fits all these targets except comfort. From my point of view it has not more than 2 stars (premises + breakfast) and reminded me old Soviet stile hotels. We booked 2 superior rooms but they were so small that we had to move to suites. They were big enough and little bit better equipped. For our next visit I will definitely choose Infante Sagres Hotel. It is more luxury and located also close to shopping areas, restaurants and historical centre. Price difference between suites in Grande and ordinary rooms in Infante is about 20 euros but you will stay in much more comfortable place. Few words about restaurants in Porto: we visited four places: Majestic Café, Abadia, Escondidinho, all 1-2 minutes walk from the hotel and Transmontana, located close to Sandeman cellar on the opposite side of Duero river. Food was excellent and delightful everywhere. But I would like to give you one advise – please try to check the size of the portion before you order it and do not order the starters, especially in Abadia and Escondidinho. Ordinary portions are huge there.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 December 2009

This was our second time at the Grande Hotel do Porto in the last 2 years, both times for a 4-night stay. There is nothing negative to say about this hotel.

The rooms are comfortable, quiet, and clean. The lobby, which may look the way it did 100 years ago, is the perfect spot to unwind at the end of the day (comfy sofas and chairs, subdued lighting, and international newspapers). The buffet breakfast is plentiful, with eggs, an assortment of breads and cakes, yogurts, cereal, fruit, tea, and more. Only the coffee is lackluster.

Any time I am in Porto, this is where I'll stay.

• Stayed: November 2009