“Great Location”

Pestana Vintage Porto
Ranked #9 of 111 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a 3 night New Years Break at the Pestana Porto Hotel. We travelled with Tall Traveller, see previous review. Location was fantastic with great views of the river, the bridges and the Port Houses on the opposite bank.
We were a little disappointed with the hotel and would rate it a 3.5 star.
Very helpful reception staff who helped us to book restaurants and gave advice on the local area. The breakfast staff were friendly and attentive. When we returned to the Hotel on New Years Eve, the night porter didn't even look up as we came in which apart from bad service is a bit of a security worry.
The bar and lounge areas were too cold to make you want to linger for a drink-chat and if you want a drink you have to get the reception staff to call someone. Breakfast was average with a selection for all tastes but it wasn't special. Plenty of choices for me though as i'm veggie.
Our room was a cause for embarassment. Tall traveller had booked the Hotel and we each went to our respective rooms. Ours was large with decent decor, two large twin beds put together,which were very comfortable and a large bathroom. The room was very clean. When we visited them later, their room was very small and you had to walk down a flight of steps to get to it. The bathroom was also very small and the wardrobe was at the top of the stairs on it's own. They couldn't ask for a room change as the hotel was fully booked. We offered to swap but they were too gracious and declined.
The mp3 player needs a USB cable to dock your player and as mentioned the tv signal kept dissappearing. Liked the free in room safe and fridge. A nice touch was a gift of Port and New Year cake left in the room on 31st Dec evening.
Porto itself is a great place to visit with lots to see and do. Transport prices are very cheap and food and drink are reasonably Priced. Veggies will struggle as most restaurants only offer meat and fish choices. We would recommend "Pimms"" restaurant a couple of streets above the hotel and "Farol" restaurant about 100m along the hotel terrace at the front. They cooked me a veggie meal off spec. Both are mid priced and food is good.

We went to Braga as recommended by Welsh traveller and it was well worth the trip just to visit Bom Jesus Do Monte. Spectacular!

All in all we had a great time and look forward to next New Year, who knows where?

Room Tip: Rooms in the annexe at the back of the lift ie 515 are noisy. The lift woke me at 3am and the noise...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alfie55
Write a ReviewReviews (2,325)

Reviewed 1 January 2012

Just back from a New Years beak in Porto where we stayed at the Pestana Hotel. The location was great; right on the waterfront, other aspects were not so good however.
Our room was very small and unfortunately we did not have a view of the river either. The TV reception was poor and kept cutting out; breakfast was average, the hot selection in particular was certainly not in keeping with other 4 star hotels we have stayed at. Some of the reception staff were very helpful, others seemed indifferent and there was no greeting or acknowledgement when whenever we went into the hotel.
Overall I would say that I would rate this as an average hotel in a top class position.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size greatly; check out your allocated room before unpacking.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TallTraveller_1
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This was our 3rd stop during our honeymoon. Pristine hotel, we had a beautiful room facing the Duoro, the service was UNBEATABLE. The location is central, we love to walk and explore so we liked the hustle and bustle. The one BIG bummer was that they didn't have a proper blow dryer! We stayed at other Pestana's and they all had them - seeing how this was the most expensive of all the Pestana's I was hoping for one! Also, do not eat near/around the hotel - touristy and blegh. Ask the concierge or taxi drivers for better options.

The concierge was EXCELLENT booked our rental car, 2 hotels in Sintra & Obidos (we had a few extra days we didn't know what to do with) and the part that the concierge booked was the most memorable part of our honeymoon... We drove along the coast to Lisbon with the cutest most romantic stops on the way.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2011

The location is really what you pay for here.It`s perfect and if were to recommend an hotel for a 2 night stay,this would be it.It really can`t be beaten.Right on the river in the absolute heart of the tourist area and easy walking distance to all the main sights and for the open top bus tour.

It`s expensive of course and the rooms are quite small,but then again many European hotel rooms are.How long are you going to be in the room though?
Check in was good as was check out.
The room was very clean and comfortable .The en-suite bathroom was clean,adequate size and plenty of towels and toiletries.There was a safe and mini bar.Tv was adequate with a few English language news channels.No tea or coffee making facility of course.

I didn`t bother with a river view,couldn`t see the point for the time we were intending to spend in the room .As soon as you leave the hotel,there`s the river--you can hardly keep looking at it,it`s a river after all,not the Mona Lisa!!
Some good restaurants nearby but I`d get a guide book because although the ones along the river are perfect in terms of location you pay for that location ,not for the standard of the food which i found distinclty uninspired.

Car parking is available for a charge but it`s in a public car park some distance away and the hotel is a bit tricky to find by car.I did it but got a bit lucky(though sat nav considerably assisted that luck!).

Breakfast was buffet service,plenty of choice and relaxed.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I chose to splurge on this hotel because I was only in Porto for two days and one night. The location is fantastic, but the room was tiny. Also, the room was not as described when I booked it. I plunked down a significant extra chunk of change for a room with a description that included a balcony. There was no balcony- not even close. I couldn't even open both doors to the closet, my room was so small- it was clearly the smallest room on the floor plan, which irritated me, given that I had booked a "Superior Room." However, the view of the Douro and Vila Nova de Gaia on the opposite bank was pretty. I enjoyed waking up to see fog on the Douro that gradually cleared later in the morning.

The breakfast was included and was truly excellent- probably the best included breakfast I have ever had. The common spaces of the hotel were very nice, very comfortable.

One thing to keep in mind is if you are driving to this hotel- there is limited access with your car to the Praca de Ribeira- you get something like two hours early in the morning, and I think it's open between 5-7 PM. Not convenient at all if you want to check in earlier in the day. I had to haul my luggage through the streets, which was really annoying and unpleasant. I was very frustrated that nobody at the hotel had mentioned this to me, DESPITE the fact that I had emailed ahead to tell them that I was driving to the hotel, and asked about parking. You would think they would mention this. Additionally, and this really pissed me off, instead of mentioning when I checked in that the Porto Marathon was being run the next day- severely cutting off major transportation arteries in that area- they waited until some time after midnight to slip a piece of paper under my door to alert me to this fact. I found that all of this, despite them being very polite on the surface and during personal interactions, added up to poor service.

I was glad that I stayed at this hotel, in the end, but it was just for one night. If it had been for longer, I suspect I would have grown increasingly frustrated. It was just too expensive for what you got. They could definitely improve the service, and they should be more honest on Expedia about the descriptions of the rooms.

Room Tip: Make sure you know what you are getting- this is impossible on Expedia, though, until they change th...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Julia M
Reviewed 8 November 2011

The location of this hotel cannot be beat. The minus about the hotel is that it is in need of rerurbishing especially in the lobby. I would rate the hotel no more then 3 stars if it was not for the location. Front desk very helpful. Very convenient for restaurants, outdoor cafes and visiting sites.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Traveled to Porto this November and stayed in this hotel. Overall, rooms were mediocre and quite uneventful. The location is great, right on the water and next to all restaurants. The front desk service is poor and the bell boys seem to run off when you are about to come out, just to skip out on helping with the bags. Seemed like they preferred on picking their noses in the corner. Funny enough, they would reappear once all of the bags were inside the car.

Back to the front desk: when asked for help/suggestions, they look at you like you have 3 heads and make it seem they are doing you a favor with the suggestions. Again, location is great but there are plenty of other hotels in the area. This is the 2nd out of 5 hotels during our trip and it was by far the worst. Would definitely skip this one.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple