“Check the booking details”
Review of HF Tuela Porto

HF Tuela Porto
Ranked #37 of 111 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We booked a Double or Twin STANDARD + Breakfast at the HF Tuela Porto.
We were given a Double below standard room in an adjoining hotel called AL SOL which
abuts the HF Tuela but is clearly a low price budget hotel.(With a sign on the side advertising the fact). We asked for non smoking and the ground floor room we were given smelled strongly of cigarette smoke and had evidence of smoking (burns , cigarette butts on the roof outside etc, and the smell). We complained and were given another room on the third floor which was much better BUT NOT IN THE HF TUELA THAT WAS SHOWN ON OUR BOOKING. We felt cheated. There were other couples that felt they had been treated similarly.
The rest of the stay was good especially the breakfast which was managed by an absolutely delightful young lady who made our stay a little special. A special THANK YOU to her.
Wifi was not good in the room - OK in the HFTuela foyer/lounge.
The journey on foot into town was OK down but back at night not good at all. We experienced a problem with beggars in this area especially the street where the hotel is situated and whilst we are used to seeing vagrants and beggars in our own home town never has my wife been reduced to tears by an aggressive beggar as she was here. That is a big problem that the locals do not seem interested in. Not the best environment for our stay in Porto .

Room Tip: Check the details of the booking - upper floors are better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank The Sundowners

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Good practical hotel, nice big room..all in order , good price, nice and clean.It was a last minute booking, and it was a bit further away from the old Porto than I had wanted, turned out it was only 20 mins walk.Staff are very friendly and helpful, bar nice and breakfast could not be faulted...had big balcony, no view and weird, pretend grass, with fag burns on it...but still comfy and good value for money.There is a problem with the begging outside the hotel which is quite agressive and intimidating.

Room Tip: get on ewith a balcony, as the price is not much more.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Spent 2 nights at HF Tuela Porto.
The hotel is central, rooms are clean and silent.
Prices are quite reasonable.
The staff is very professional and friendly.
I would certainly recommend it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I want to thank all reviewers for helping me choose such a wonderful hotel. The weekend before I got to Oporto, I was in a large suite in a 5-star hotel and it didn't make me feel anywhere as comfortable as it felt in my twin bed room in this 3-star hotel.
Good things:
The room was very clean, nice-smelling, relatively quiet. The bathroom is a decent size.
There was space to put all my things, including in the bathroom.
I had no mini-fridge but there is a vending machine with cold drinks and snacks on each floor at the end of hallways.
I don't remember if the bed was confortable, cause every night when I laid on it, a minute later I was 'gone'! :)
The staff is multilingual and very helpful
It's in a wonderful area: not quite in the heart of town, yet still in the center. There is a shopping mall next door, with a supermarket in the basement, plenty of restaurants and establishments.
The Casa de Musica is 10 min. walk away. There is a main roundabout - 6 minutes away- with city and tourist buses to get you anywhere you need to go. (Taxis are inexpensive too.)
I really, really enjoyed my stay and had a 6 euro airport shuttle to take me to the airport when it was over.
The cost of a night is so very reasonable and late checkout is only 6 euro per hour!

Weak point: the restaurant in the basement is only 'ok'; not great, but 'ok'. The buffet breakfast has modest fare, with coffee that I couldn't finish. (But I guess all that depends on the time of the year.)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed at the Tuela Porto for 2 nights from the 2-4 August 2013. We received a very nice room and received one with a high floor as requested which had a good view.
Both the breakfasts and dinner were of a good standard and plentiful.
The staff were very helpful especially in the Dining Room.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I have just spent five days int his hotel and it was evry pleasant. The only reason I did not put excellent is because the sheets are not in cotton but in polyester and cotton. This fabric is very warm and uncomfortable in warm conditions. Fortunately I brought a cotton pillow case with me otherwise it would have meant buying one.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room looking on the back.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Located near the Douro river, and 5 mns from one of the main roads in OPorto, the hotel is nonwithstanding a bit far from the city center; no free parking around it does not help at all the motorized guests as myself but the overall impression was quite fair: the rooms are comfortable, without noises, and the bed is great, although a mini-bar is lacking. The staff is helpful and the food -breakfast included- ok.
GPS users beware: my Tomtom made me circle around the blocks for 10mns before managing to enter the hotel street due to recent (?) pavement line changes. Be patient and memorize the right directions and all will be fine.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business