“View and Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 103 Hotels in Porto
Miami, Florida
“View and Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Boa Vista hotel is an adorable hotel in a unique location for your stay in Porto, Portugal. It is situated at the intersection of the Rio Douro and the Atlantic Ocean with an elevated view of both. The hotel is clean and neat and the service is very good. Walk to restaurants along the Altantic coast or head up river for several local fare restaurants. Be sure to take the restored electric trolly to town; that's an adventure in itself.

Room Tip: Get room with view of ocean and or river if possible.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Hebrew first
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is a lovely hotel, no frills but that is reflected in the price. The hotel is spotless and the breakfast was good. I stayed one night. I arrived at 10.30am and check in wasn't until later in the afternoon. My room was ready and they let me check in early. The hotel is no smoking but they put me in a room with a balcony so I could go out and smoke. The location is ideal for getting into Porto and the surrounding area is beautiful. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony if you are a smoker.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
      Rooms
3 Thank amh88
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

A clean and comfortable hotel right by the sea. The roof top restaurant/ bar and pool have gorgeous views over the water. It's worth staying here just for that.

Some of the staff were exceptional, going well beyond expectations to help. Others not so helpful, particularly on sunday when nothing is open (including the hotel restaurant) and you will struggle to find anywhere to eat. The guy on the desk couldn't recommend anywhere that might be open and I had to go on my own search for a meal!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank helsbels41London
Tampere, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was booked in Boa-Vista by a business partner so I had no prior knowledge of the hotel.

Boa-Vista is almost on beach boulevard and from the top floor and rood top restaurant / bar / terrace / pool you can see the ocean. Location was good for going for a run along the beach and it was to get a taxi to go to Porto centre or to Matosinhos for dinner

The hotel was very average with no frills (other than the roof top). Reception was efficient, room was clean but very basic, bathroom was small but worked and breakfast was OK but nothing special.

So, if you want no frills accommodation for a night, maximum two, this could be a relatively cheap option.

Room Tip: Get a room on higher floors with ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Kari A
Hampshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

The hotel is in a good location for getting into Porto as well as to the motorways if you are touring around. There are many good beaches to both the north and south. The rooms are simple but comfortable and clean - housekeeping is impeccable. We went for a room without sea view and used the money we saved to sit and relax in the bar - which has a good view - or in one of the many excellent bars and restaurants in the local area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank normannorma1
slingerlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

My colleague and I booked the Boa Vista for 4 days after we finished the Camino. The primary reason we booked this hotel was because it had a pool and we thought we could use some serious down time after the Camino. My colleague was going on to Ukraine to consult in a University and I was on to the Caribbean for a new position so we were anxious to have 4 days between the Camino and new positions.
3 weeks after booking the hotel, we received an email that the pool would be closed until mid June --our stay was June 12 - June 16. We were not in the position to re-book -- we had booked everything in April to insure our travel plans. We were already traveling ---
Upon arrival the hotel looked lovely but we noted how far it was from the center of the town.
The lobby was quite modern and clean---what a surprise we had when encountering the front desk. We asked if the pool repairs had been completed and we were told that we had been notified on the day we booked that the pool was going to be closed--this is not true--we were notified but it was at least 3 weeks after booking. The woman at the front desk was so rude we were shocked. All along the Camino we had encountered the nicest and most helpful people you can ask for. I had explained we had just finished the Camino and said we had never been to Porto and would like some advice about what to see and do in Porto--she pointed to a rack of pamphlets advised us to look at them. I asked her about the internet password and she printed off one and handed it to my friend and I. After we saw the room we were so disappointed--we were staying for 4 days and the room was very small and dismal. The bed and pillows were so small--there was 1 chair and you could not even stand between the bed and the closet. The bathroom was fabulous and very clean. After trying to enter the passwords into our phone we had no luck. I went downstairs to talk to the receptionist and asked if there was perhaps a larger room, or one with a small balcony or something other than the room we had because we were staying for 4 days. She told me nothing was available for at least 2 days and she could not be sure we could have it. I asked several times about the internet and how could we both use our phones--she printed out another password and handed it to me. Again we tried with no luck--this left us in Porto with no phones or internet.
Ater seven attempts to get out phones workable, I finally went back to the front desk and there was a young fellow on the night shift who explained that we needed two passwords one for each of us and if I put one in my phone and then my friend used the same password it would kick us both off the net----he offered to use a familiar word to me and created a workable solution. Wow it worked out great after almost 48 hours of frustration. Earlier in the day the receptionist saw us both accessing the same password she gave us and never told us this----------I was so angry that the solution was so simple.
I wanted to leave the hotel but my friend did not want to repack and have the complication of moving to another hotel. Reluctantly, I agreed.
I went to talk to another receptionist during the next day and explained what had happened. I asked to use the telephone for a local call in the lobby before we had our phones working and were charged for 4 calls. I explained about the password situation and asked not to be charged for the alls. She said she could not make that possible. She said if we wanted to talk to someone about it her supervisor would be in for one hour in midafternoon---we were there for 4 days and did not want to spend a half of one day to speak with her supervisor. I requested she convey our concerns to him and she informed me that they we were very busy people at the front desk and she could not oblige my request. Unbelievable----
The food in the rooftop restaurant was delicious and the first waiter we had was wonderful and very friendly. Since there was no where to relax or for 2 people to sit in the room we brought a glass of wine from our rooms to enjoy on the rooftop. Another waiter said we were not allowed to bring our wine onto the rooftop and drink it and we needed to leave.
The housekeeping in the hotel was excellent and the rooms were very clean. The room rate came with breakfast with was very good. Never once during breakfast did one of the waiters even greet us--maybe this behavior came as such a surprise to us because we had just spent time in Spain on the Camino and the people were wonderful. I had always heard that the people in Portugal were very warm and friendly--not here in this hotel. It seems to cater to the upper class, business people----so if you are an elitist or snob --- this is the place for you----
I HATED this hotel because of the attitude of the just some of the staff----it was the biggest disappointment of our trip.
Everyone else we encountered in Porto were absolutely lovely, funny and helpful. Porto is a very interesting city but if you are looking for a helpful staff book elsewhere---and remember to ask if the pool is open.

Room Tip: Do not book here
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank estelle s
Dunboyne, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Would advise to upgrade to a suite for the few extra euros. Well worth it. Far more room. Access to a balcony etc. All good. Breakfast room a little dark but good selection. Terrace bar is very nice. Bring a jacket though...can be brezzy

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JohnnyL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porto
HF Ipanema Park
BessaHotel Boavista
BessaHotel Boavista
#15 of 103 in Porto
Golden Tulip Porto Gaia Hotel and Spa
Golden Tulip Porto Gaia Hotel an...
#12 of 14 in Vila Nova de Gaia
Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa
Porto Palacio Congress Hotel & Spa

Been to Hotel Boa Vista? Share your experiences!