“Incredible service and fantastic selection” 5 of 5 bubbles

Garrafeira do Carmo
Ranked #1 of 110 Shopping in Porto
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Incredible service and fantastic selection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Not much of a drinker, I was intending to buy some port as a gift. As I knew nothing about port, I expected the sales person to just recommend something and walk away. But the salesperson was so patient, thoughtful, and thorough. He really explained the difference between all the different types and eagerly got me to try a whole variety of ports until I found something I liked. He was very passionate and knowledgeable, and never once did he try to take advantage of my ignorane and sell the more expensive stuff to me. I ended up walking away with 5 bottles instead of the intended 1. Some of it is actually for me!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Nari M

• Finnish first
Province of Pontevedra, Spain
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 173 helpful votes
“Amazing wine shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

We spent a very nice time in this shop tasting many port wines with chocolate and nuts the owners are so nice and helpfull with a huge wealth of knowledge , we purchased 24 bottles of various wine and they delivered it to our hotel so no problems getting it back . We will definitely be back for more .
The best place to buy port in Porto .

4 Thank love2travelGalicia
London
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“The best pace to go and buy port!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

This was my third trip to Porto and what a shame I did not discover this gem of a shop before!!
The owner is so well informed and helpful using his vast intimate knowledge of the port styles, producers and vintages to direct our choices. He is very passionate about his business and was quite frankly amazing! You can ask him the difference between 2 bottles of the same vintage and he can decipher and explain.
He had big brands and the little known smaller producers. We spent over 200 euros on port wine from 4eu to 79euro bottles, which he actually delivered directly to our hotel for us to save us trekking it around town .
What fabulous service - a must and on the tourist track just down the road from the Igreja da Carmelitas and Livraria Lello ( the bookstore with the gorgeous staircase). The best store service and help I can remember for a long time.

Visited March 2012