This is my first Tripadvisor review, posted to alert others to a strange policy at this hotel that could affect those who book "non-smoking" rooms.
I visited the Sheraton Porto on my honeymoon; at the time, the hotel was hosting a meeting for a biotech firm. Booked solid, the hotel checked me into a smoking room without saying a word (!) or offering an apology -- perhaps hoping we wouldn't notice the heavy smoke smell? Because of indifferent "customer service" from staff members at the front desk after requesting a room change twice, I called Starwood customer relations back in the US, who filed a complaint with the hotel.
To the hotel's credit, the front desk manager met me upon check-out in the morning. While apologetic, the corporate complaint led her to (reluctantly) admit that it's hotel policy to convert dedicated smoking rooms into "non-smoking" by spraying a scent when there are large groups -- and the hotel has more confirmed "non-smoking" bookings than it can handle. As a Starwood frequent traveler, they refunded the points I'd used to book, offered some additional points as a gesture, and covered our parking, but this experience marred our trip -- I was up half the night with asthma-related breathing troubles and exhausted the next day. Also, I can't remember another time when there's been such a blatant attempt to withhold information (that the room was really for smokers) by multiple hotel staff.
Until the hotel's policy is changed -- and I can book a guaranteed non-smoking room -- I wouldn't consider staying here again.
One other word of advice: while it could be great for business, the location of this hotel is a bit isolated, outside of central Porto -- I'd figured the Metro ride would be simpler than it was -- but the location definitely makes sightseeing and eating out in the evening a bit more challenging.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Step into a world where fine art, design and comfort blend beautifully at the Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa. Our hotel is a modern wonder of marble, wood, steel, and glass, situated in the heart of Porto. Enjoy the convenience of being only a short walk away from fabulous shopping, art museums and nightlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Odigeo, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Porto Hotel And Spa
- Sheraton Porto Hotel Porto
- Porto Sheraton