“Front desk lied; gave smoking room as "non-smoking"”

Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa
Ranked #13 of 104 Hotels in Porto
Somerville, Massachusetts
“Front desk lied; gave smoking room as "non-smoking"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

This is my first Tripadvisor review, posted to alert others to a strange policy at this hotel that could affect those who book "non-smoking" rooms.

I visited the Sheraton Porto on my honeymoon; at the time, the hotel was hosting a meeting for a biotech firm. Booked solid, the hotel checked me into a smoking room without saying a word (!) or offering an apology -- perhaps hoping we wouldn't notice the heavy smoke smell? Because of indifferent "customer service" from staff members at the front desk after requesting a room change twice, I called Starwood customer relations back in the US, who filed a complaint with the hotel.

To the hotel's credit, the front desk manager met me upon check-out in the morning. While apologetic, the corporate complaint led her to (reluctantly) admit that it's hotel policy to convert dedicated smoking rooms into "non-smoking" by spraying a scent when there are large groups -- and the hotel has more confirmed "non-smoking" bookings than it can handle. As a Starwood frequent traveler, they refunded the points I'd used to book, offered some additional points as a gesture, and covered our parking, but this experience marred our trip -- I was up half the night with asthma-related breathing troubles and exhausted the next day. Also, I can't remember another time when there's been such a blatant attempt to withhold information (that the room was really for smokers) by multiple hotel staff.

Until the hotel's policy is changed -- and I can book a guaranteed non-smoking room -- I wouldn't consider staying here again.

One other word of advice: while it could be great for business, the location of this hotel is a bit isolated, outside of central Porto -- I'd figured the Metro ride would be simpler than it was -- but the location definitely makes sightseeing and eating out in the evening a bit more challenging.

Room Tip: Even a non-smoking booking won't guarantee you a non-smoking room
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank hautecontre
, General Manager at Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for having selected Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa for your recent stay.
We are sorry we haven’t been able to meet your expectations, due to our mistake in allocating you the requested room.
I really understand how frustrating that must have been and therefore assure you once more our most sincere apologies.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again, so that you can enjoy the real quality of our services.

Manuel Diéguez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

Great business hotel. Very good location in town. Modern and nice rooms.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your nice comments.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

The gym is open 24 hours a day and there is an elevator that brings guests direct to the spa discretely, which is a good thing. Treadmills however need an update. I could not place a bottle of water on the treadmill because there was only a hole, no support underneath to hold the bottle. I could not see my heart rate either, because the bars were oxydated and simply didn't work. The bedroom was very good, no noise from the outside, very clean and comfortable beds, specially the pillows not smelly at all. The bathroom was also good. Breakfast buffet was excellent, both on food quality and variety. The service in general was fabulous. If I happen to come back to Oporto again, I will definitely sleep in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your last stay at the Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa.
Such comments certainly help us in motivating our staff and, more importantly, assist us to provide a more personal and efficient service.
Looking forward to welcoming you again in a not too distant future!

Yours sincerely,
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

What a wonderful hotel. On a whim I decided to visit Porto and Lisbon for a last minute vacation; which was fabulous and can highly recommend both locations and both Sheraton hotels. Property was of a high standard. Staff in the Club Lounge were very nice and helpful; although house keeping was a little spotty (they kept forgetting to replenish the daily bottled water supply). More detailed review as follows:

Location - The hotel itself is in a safe suburb of Porto and four metro stops/10 minutes max from the centre of town. It’s not in the downtown area and some people might wish to be closer and in the heart of things; personally the only night were I felt I had missed out was during the St John festival were it would have been easier to watch the fireworks and avoid the busy metro. If you turn left out of the hotel this will bring you onto a main avenue, which is serviced by the red Hop on, Hop off tour bus route.

Transportation - If you are coming from the airport take the metro to Francos (2.30 euros). Once you get off the train continue walking a few yards in the direction of the train and walk up the adjoining cobbled street. You will come to a main road, cross it and continue walking 10 minutes on that cobbled street. The Sheraton will be on the right. I was grateful to the restaurant owner at the Francos stop who guided me otherwise I’m not sure I would have made it; the hotel website isn’t too clear with directions from the station!

Property – it is clear from having recently stayed in 3 Sheraton spa hotels in Europe that the Sheraton is updating its brand. As with the W Hotel brand, it has gone for dark woods in the bedrooms and main bar areas; the key difference being it is much brighter and you don’t need a torch to find your way around (as with the W hotels). The bathroom had a deep bath, and separate areas for the toilet and shower; all surrounded by green frosted glass. The tv/music system is piped in to the bathroom. The only thing missing was a kettle/coffee maker but that might have been available in the clubrooms.

Gym & Spa – the gym facilities had the usual range of cardio and weight machines but also had foam rollers and stretching mats.

Club Lounge – as a platinum member I get free access to the Club Lounge which provides breakfast, evening happy hour and generally a place to relax over a beer/coffee/glass of wine. The staff were very nice and helpful, particularly the intern who is studying hotel management and was working the night of St John (and whose name escapes me). The food was replenished on a regular basis and staff was responsive to requests for additional supplies. The only observation that I would make is that the club lounge would benefit from an electronic card entry system, that would save staff having to ask for room numbers and then avoid any embarrassing encounters for those not staying in the club rooms but still have access via platinum membership.

Wifi – rather exorbitant at 19 euros per day but as a platinum member I got my mine for free.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fabulous comments about our property, services and associates.
We are glad that you have enjoyed our Club Lounge and the experience Sheraton has created for most demanding guests.
Be sure that our staff strives all efforts to ensure that all our guests may enjoy an unforgettable experience at our hotel.
We do look forward to welcoming you in a not too distant future.

With my very best regards,
Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Your typical Sheraton hotel with all of the usual amenities including pay for wi-fi. When will these business orIented hotels quit charging for Internet? Did not eat at the hotel because the breakfast was 22 euros. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the old city. The staff is first class. Not a good choice if a tourist as this hotel caters to business clients. They also charge 19 euros per day to park the car. The only reason I stayed here was because I used my Starwood points. Would not stay here again because of the location as a tourist.

Room Tip: Stay downtown in the old city near the river
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Be sure that our staff strives all efforts to ensure that all our guests may enjoy their experience at our hotel.

Yours sincerely,
Basel, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

we stayed in the Sheraton Port the 5th time and we relized the the quality of service and food is going down and down from year to year.
The Front office team on the check in and checkout is very professional and polite and knowleged and the Spa is very good and the the offered treatmenst excelent - BUT
the room furnitures getting old and not well maintained, the bathroom is dirty(hairs tec) the quality of the bed linen is getting old and tired the same with the towels
the most negative is the service in the restaurant, the food quality and the service in the bar, the BF buffet is cheep and event not simple things like a variety of jame are available - all in all this hotel should change the managemnt to cam back to the standards 5 years ago

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank fdobritzsch
Dear Guest,

We do regret to learn about this last experience at our property. Be sure that we have already informed our Management team in order to continuously improve the quality of our services.

We do hope that these small details and experience will not deter you from staying with us in the future.

milano
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

I have been several times in this hotel and during my last stay I really realized how good it is. The hotel is well kept, the rooms are big and despit being not that cosy, really homely.
The bathroom is big having both the shower and the bathub. The breakfast is great altought is a bit expensive (22€). both the gym and the spa are very good. the only poitn is that you still have to pay to use the internet wifi connection!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
SheratonPortoHotel, General Manager at Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Guest,

We do thank you for your comments and we are very pleased to learn that you have had a very good experience at our property.