“Best hotel I've ever stayed in”

Sheraton Porto Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 108 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed 16 January 2009

Last month I spent a night at Sheraton Hotel & Spa. All I can say is that this was by far the best hotel I've ever stayed in.

The building is very modern, and so is the decoration in the interior. The front part of the building is all made of glass, which makes it look amazing from the time you step foot there. Next to the reception there are elevators with glass all around, which adds to the sense of luxury you get in the hotel.
The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. I especially liked the big bathroom, which has both shower and bathtub. It was quite big, and divided into three parts - shower, WC and sink/bathtub- by glass doors which is quite different from what i've seen so far in hotels. Also, the bathroom is separated by the rest of the room by a glass wall which you can cover so as to get privacy in there. The beds are very comfortable too, so it's guaranteed that you will get a good rest there.
I also need to mention that I was satisfied with the cleanliness.

As for breakfast, it has a big variety and excellent quality.

I particularly liked the staff which was very helpful and polite. We made our reservation through the internet, and we got charged for breakfast even though it was included in the price we payed for the room. We explained the situation to the staff, and the problem was solved quickly. Also, the internet connection in our room was not working, so we called the reception desk. Within 5 minutes, there was a technician in our room to repair it.

A downside of the hotel is the location, since it's not in the center of the city, but it's not that bad either as long as you're willing to take a taxi or walk a bit to the nearest metro station.

Overall, I believe the hotel was worth the money we paid for it, and was not expensive for the services offered. We had a very nice stay there and I would definately stay there again next time in Porto!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 January 2009

stayed for 3 days for a business conference
my opinion
1-rooms superb ultra modern very clean with all needs for the business traveller
2-food very good varied and extremely attentive staff
2- location a bit out of the way in a district too far from shops and the old city for a leisure break but fine for the purpose which i was there for
4-spa was beautiful but 10 euros for every day you used it even to hotel residents was a bit steep
overall perfect for business not too good for leisure and to see the city
regards straw bear

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2008

Positives: Very nice facility, rooms are top-notch. Breakfast (included) is terrific. Spa/gym are excellent.

Negatives: Several miles from the "fun" part of town, the Sheraton is located in a business district away from the historic riverfront areas. While the price is not outrageous, it is on the high side, and budget-conscious travelers can find cheaper deals at other nice hotels in town. The staff is efficient and competent, but nobody ever taught them to smile.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Rogers222
Reviewed 4 October 2008

I come to Porto very often i always stay here.
Rooms are excellent and theoverall service couldnt be better.

Porto is a nice city and the hotel's location is in the best part of town.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2008

Stayed here whilst attending an event in the conference centre. Staff were fine, pretty helpful, except in the in the bar. "Can I please have 1/2 litre of freshly squeezed orange Juice? No - we don't sell Orange juice in that size. Can I instead have two 250ml glasses, at the same time? Yes, that would be fine. And can I have an empty 1/2 litre glass so that I can put them together? Yes, that can be done. So why can't YOU do that for me? We don't serve orange juice by the 1/2 litre....."

The room was OK - clean, comfortable, functional, but a bit small. The restaurant sells typically bland international quisine, and the wine list isn't brilliant either. Surprisingly poor choice of Port for afters, and absolutely no chance of getting them to just leave the bottle (though they will do this in the bar if you ask them to).

OK if you're in Porto on business, but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise. Still, at least it's not expensive.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank John-L24
Reviewed 1 October 2008

we like to use public transportation and this beautiful hotel is a little out of the way. once you figure it out, it is only about a half mile from a metro stop but it involves walking down one-way streets that seem more like alleys and the staff is not really able to tell you how to do it. (Neither was my TomTom GPS.) Anyway, the spa was the best ever (not that we have seem many), the restaurant was better and less expensive than I was expecting (vegetarians here) and the city truly magical. Staff was helpful...always ready with an answer but of the 4 questions we asked, we got 2 wrong answers (now late does the metro run? Not 2 am. and which train station has the trains to Lisbon...if we had not gone online and confimed, we would have missed the train by being a mile away at the station the hotel told us to use.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sidripley
Reviewed 3 July 2008

Third time for me at this hotel and again on business. No surprises this time around either. A good all around hotel, but I am wondering if there are better choices around. Sure it is good quality and more than adequate for business traveling. However, the bar is very expensive, as well is the restaurant. The restaurant has small portions and prices are very high. If you want to eat take a cab to the Matosinhos area, there are hundreds of restaurants there. The bar is stylish and has a nice feel to it, but beware of the tab at the end!
Don't bother with the club level if you are expecting a proper lounge or better room, it is not worth the extra money believe me. Apart from a flat screen TV you don't get anything else. The breakfast is very good, one of my favorites, the service is prompt and choices of things to eat are plenty. Although there is plenty of service personnel, coffee replenishing seems a tad slow to me. You have to be active there and wave a little. The omelets are really good, especially the ham,cheese and onion.
The views aren't great either, so head to the beach or go downtown.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business