“Wonderful hospitality”

Ranked #24 of 221 Speciality Lodging in Porto
Edmonton, Canada
“Wonderful hospitality”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

The White Box House is a wonderful B & B with lots of charm - both in the building itself and in the people who host you. We arrived close to midnight. I texted from the airport and was given excellent instructions on how to take the metro to the B&B. There is a beautiful church right at the metro station. We walked about 3 minutes after we got off the train and voila! You do have to keep your eyes peeled for the sign because it is subtle but we knew what to expect so it wasn't too hard to find. We were greeted warmly and offered a tour of the shared space on the main floor. Our host helped carry our bags to the top floor - quite the interesting tiny steep staircase to climb but it was very well lit and easy to navigate. When we arrived downstairs for breakfast we were greeted warmly and offered our choice of locations for breakfast. We chose the kitchen. The food was wonderful! Beautiful fresh breads and pastries, fresh cheese and meat as well yogurt, fruit and coffee & tea. We got out our map and our host was very helpful in making suggestions on how to spend our day - including which local restaurants we should check out. She even helped us figure out bus routes!

The bed and pillows were really comfortable. The towels were lovely and fluffy.

I would highly recommend The White Box House.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Lawgigal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

The best thing about The White Box is the service, it was uniformly excellent. There was a real attention to detail. I would gladly recommend this to anyone contemplating a stay in Porto. It was wonderful.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Cascais
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights and it was just perfect. We had the twin room (room 4), which was certainly large enough for 2 and was also light, airy and minimalist, but in the right way. All parts of the hotel were exceptionally clean and welcoming. It felt like staying in a friend's house rather than a hotel. It's true - everything is white, but they have managed not to make it look clinical and have maintained the charm of the townhouse. The staff were very friendly and keen to help to point out places to visit and could not have been nicer to us. We will definitely stay here again. Very highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 4 is quiet, has a "Rear Window" (Hitchcock film) charm and has lots of light. Large...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
mumbai
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The White Box House is just fantastic. Centrally located on Rua Santa Catarina, this is a beautiful house with large, bright and airy rooms that are impeccably clean. The kitchen is an absolute delight (a fresh cake is baked everyday) with a great breakfast each morning. The people at the White Box are really special; Fatima, Alex, Margarida are warm and friendly and will make sure they go out of their way to make your stay special. We could not recommend it enough. (if you are a family with kids, they have an excellent configuration of rooms)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank rajeshtahil
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed at the White Box House for three nights at the tail end of our trip and loved this incredibly comfortable and clean accom! Full of open spaces and designer furniture, it’s a wonderful place to come home to at the end of a busy day.

The staff are very friendly and go out of their way to explain everything you need to know about Porto. Alex gave us wonderful advice about places to see and restaurants to try - we would have been lost without him!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Highland Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The White Box House is one of my all time favorites from all my travels. It's a beautiful house, impeccably renovated with mid-century modern touches. I adored our room which was on the top floor. It was simple, but absolutely perfect in its simplicity. And blissfully quiet.

Great location (I'm glad we didn't stay in the Ribeira district). Easy to walk all over, but also close to the metro. And breakfast was delicious. Overall value was absolutely outstanding.

Alex, Fatima and Margarita were all wonderful and gave the best recommendations. I only wish we could have stayed longer.

The White Box House is truly special.

Room Tip: We loved our room on the top floor. (I think it was #5)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MollydeA
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This review is long overdue. My friend and I traveled to Porto for a girl’s birthday trip last July 2013. As my German friend has traveled all over the world and has stayed in plenty of guest houses, this was my first time ever staying in this type of travel environment. We found White Box via Trip Advisor and while there are plenty of options, we booked this one based on location and budget - despite little information available at the time since it recently opened. We were extremely pleased - from arrival we were greeted and assisted in every way. Best choice of the trip!!

We reserved a private double room – comfortably adorble and just enough for our stay. The room included two twin beds, nicely decorated (each room has its own theme-ours was photography) and we would open the window to get fresh air as it was still cool in July. Our bathroom was right outside the room in the hallway yet it was our private space during our stay. Our bathroom was clean, spotless at all times and the modern design was one I've seen in architectural magazines. It was perfect. The guesthouse was super cool, chill and great vibe overall. I was surprised to see guests of all ages – seniors, families included. Breakfast was included.

The location is central to everywhere in Porto - right off a shopping pedestrian street. We arrived via car yet metro stations are nearby - even one that takes you straight to the airport. WB is uphill so even a simple walk downhill will leave you down by the picturesque river and bridges - also nearby where all the nightlife is – bars and restaurants – so many choices.

I admired Alexandre and his staff's dedication and love for WB - offering such a unique space that didn't feel like a cold standard hotel. He provided us suggestions of all sorts: where to explore, where to eat, etc. Thanks for recommending an amazing final dinner at 17 Restaurante & Bar which is located on the tallest building with 360 views of the city itself - literally a two minute walk from WB - in fact I could see it from my room's window. I also liked that I was able to watch TV one night in the living room all to myself - great unwinding after long day of sightseeing.

Overall, absolutely loved our stay. Everything was perfect and because of this experience I am now have set the bar very high for my future travels. Can’t wait to return and definitely staying here again. This is a top recommend in my travel book.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends