“Traditional "home cooked" food for an "economico" price”
Review of D. Rodrigo

D. Rodrigo
Ranked #1,154 of 1,655 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: European, Portuguese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Melbourne, Australia
“Traditional "home cooked" food for an "economico" price”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Today I treated myself and went to an outdoor café near the San Francisco cathedral patronised by tourists. My salmon was so overcooked I could have worn it under my feet to help me traverse the hard Porto cobblestones! Here at Don Rodrigo I loved their tender grilled pork (with fries, flavoured rice and garden salad) so much I came back the next day to sample their delicious moist grilled sardines. Their "economico" menu is 5.50 Euros. Incredible value and good food. You start with a simple, flavoursome soup of potatoes and cabbage (with bread), a choice of a meat or fish main course, I had half a litre of charming red wine, and finished with a aromatic shot of coffee. I sat in their lovingly tended outdoor terrace garden (flowers and trained trailing ivy), basked in the warm air and unwound in the peaceful setting. The warm and enthusiastic Don served me and gave me a private tour of their extraordinary building that has been in the family for several generations. The humble front salon contrasts with the function room featuring a magnificent chandelier. But, hidden is the renovation project - restoring an 19th Century room (with original plaster moulded ceilings) with the vision of creating elegant tearooms. I applaud you your energy and enterprise Mr Rodrigo and I thank you for your hospitality.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank venesiamontaign

Petaluma, California
“Great food and friendly staff ”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I have been traveling through Europe for over 2 months, (needless to say, we're on a pretty tight budget). We have been disappointed time after time again trying to find delicious food while staying within our budget, until we ate at D. Rodrigo. We were received with a warm welcome from the staff. They weren't overly assertive nor were they inattentive. I ordered the Portuguese kale soup and my fiancé ordered the vegetable soup. Both were flavorful and perfectly portioned for starters. We also ordered a large fungi pizza to share. Also delicious and the perfect size for sharing! The pizza was thin crust, which I prefer, lightly sauced, and the cheese was melted into gooey goodness. If the mushrooms would have been sautéed as opposed to being baked raw, the pizza would have been perfect! But that's my personal opinion. I enjoyed it nonetheless. Our bill came out to €13.25, which I found to be more than reasonable. I observed the food that other guests had ordered and everything look and smelled great. I wish that we would have found this restaurant earlier in our stay in Porto, because I would love to have tried more items from their menu.

1 Thank Madeleine R
Seoul, South Korea
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“reasonable price and delicious meals”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

i had visited Porto in September. at that time the weather is quite cold, and that day was 50days of my 2months trip. so i really really want to eat warm and some homemade meal.
This resturant gave me a exactly what i want , and what's more the price is reasonable. For 7~8euros you can enjoy a course meal (a bowl of vegetable soup, main dish, a cup of espresso)
if i go to Porto again i'll go to D. Rodrigo again.

• Visited September 2012