“Fun but long day (updated)”
Review of Douro Exclusive

Douro Exclusive
Ranked #1 of 85 Food & Drink in Porto
More attraction details
Owner description: Douro Exclusive - Experience Guided Tours , provides you an exclusive experience since the city of Porto trought the heart of Douro Valley.We offer you the best views and Quintas (Wine Estates), the greatest knowledge because our guides are local and graduated in tourism and the "haute cuisine with Douro products of Chef Rui Paula that you will never forget...Contact us !
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

**This is an updated review from my original one (posted 5/21)**

I originally rated Douro Exclusive three (3) stars for the tour based on an issue I will lightly highlight below. I added one (1) star because the owners were responsive and resolved the issue with me privately.

When I had my tour with Douro Exclusive, I did have an overall good experience, but it was dampered due to an extra pick up in the Valley, which added a lot of time (around 2-3 hours total) to the overall day. If that pick up had not occurred, it would have been a better experience overall.

The scenery in the Valley is beautiful and you get to see a lot of it, it’s panoramic views everywhere.

The lunch at DOC was great, and a nice, more elevated meal than I’ve had on previous tours and again, came with great views. Staff at the restaurant is great and very responsive to our table and anyone with food allergies.

We visited two wineries too, both of which were really nice. The tasting was great and we got to really explore Port wines, and see some great views. Really enjoyed those visits and it was the right amount.

Boat tour was fine, but didn’t have the best valley views, that said, being out of the car was nice.

Despite my not so great tour day, I do appreciate Douro reaching out to resolve the issue privately. That was much appreciated. While it doesn’t change my experience, I would consider recommending them or going on another tour with them in the future, with more clear communication ahead of time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,098)
All reviews
in 9 reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 31 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Sometimes one is fortunate to experience a day that truely stands out. The day my wife and I shared with Ana touring the Douro Valley was such a bucket list experience. Ana should be a national treasure. She is a consummate professional with a deep love and passion for her native Douro valley.
A truly intimate personalized experience, Ana picked up my wife and me from Porto and introduced us to two very small family wineries and their owners. Private leisurely tours with special barrel tasting’s were unlike any experience I’ve ever had. Lunch specially prepared for us at an intimate family run restaurant (with two tables) was probably one of our best meals A private boat launch on the DouroValley River and then Ana dropped us off at our Douro Valley Hotel
Without Ana introducing these off the beaten path local treasures we would have missed the best times we had in Portugal.I encourage those who want a very special intimate experience to consider Ana and her company

1  Thank Steven B
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a fabulous day with Sandra. She was very personable and made the trip a lot of fun. My favorite part had to be the wine maker's lunch. What a special experience and great food in someone's home. Very intimate! We all thought the whole experience was the best. I would say my least favorite part of the trip was the boat trip, but even that was lovely and a great way to see another prospective of the valley. It certainly made me want to go back and spend more time in the Duoro Valley and see more of it. What a lovely place.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

No words can really explain the beauty and authenticity of this tour and the people that run Douro Exclusive. In some ways it was like stepping through the wardrobe door into Narnia. You just have to experience it. The Douro is one of Portugal’s best kept secrets and the terrain and people who love it are amazing. The Port was great too!

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

We would prefer to give a rating of 10 stars if possible

Ana who is the founder and visionary of this unique experience along with her husband Marco REALLY care and want you to feel the specialness of the Douro valley

Our tour included numerous tastings from the very local town baker and artisan cafe- not to mention lunch at a Michelin restaurant perfectly set on the river- after a 2 hour boat ride ( which they arranged specially for us)that was truly spectacular

Ana wanted us to have a thorough overview of different types of Port and how it’s made- which included tasting and learning about the different styles (eg vintage vs tawnys )

Everything- I mean everything- is done with thought and passion

Book early—-