“Wonderful!”

Ranked #91 of 106 Hotels in Porto
Miami
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My wife, toddler, and I stayed at this hotel. It was spotless, inexpensive, and well located. There is nothing to complain about. It is a great value, and I would gladly go again.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights and it was just what we needed. The location was absolutely perfect...just across from the train station and close enough to walk to everything - or easy access to public transport.

The price is right, breakfast is included, and the staff was friendly. Rooms facing the street are a little noisy so if you're a light sleeper you may want an interior/back facing room. It's a solid 3 star hotel. I'd definitely stay here again.

Note - there isn't internet access in the rooms. You can get on Wifi in the lobby but you have to pay extra for it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Washington DC
Reviewed 4 November 2011

One block from the Sao Bento train station, 4 blocks from the metro and hence the airport tram, and less than a 1/2 mile from the river, the Pensao Peninsular is a very well located, economic choice, located right dab in the center of Porto.

Perfect for the budget minded traveler, the Peninsular is a sound choice. My single room was tight, but not overly so, clean, and on a warm day in October, had A/C (don't know if all rooms do, but a nice perk not necessarily found in similar vintage hotels in Europe).

And for those travelers craving a little bit of home, McDonald's is located just around the block.

Room Tip: If the weather is warm, make sure to ask for a room with A/C, don't know if all room have it. A...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ChrisJones5
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I had read about this hotel for years and I was almost going to stay here last year but changed my mind. Pensao Peninsular is an old and funky place. I found it so charming and retro. Plus I only payed $60. Yes, that's dollars and it included a basic continental breakfast. I would stay here again but maybe splurge for one of the more expensive rooms. The location was good.
I might go back to Porto next year and would love to stay there again. But remember it isn't the Ritz by any means.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
londre
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Stayed here for one night the day before we were due to fly back home (the hotel is an easy 15min walk to an airport bound train station). What a gem. To me it seemed like a perfectly preserved 70's hotel, and I mean that in a nice way! Lots of wood, leather chairs, and interesting pictures on the wall and that's leading up to the room. We were lucky to get a room facing the road and so had a great view of Porto. Wasn't particularly noisy so you could sleep with the widow open. The room itslef was spacious with TV and AC. The bathroom was a marble dream!

Breakfast was good, if you're leaving very early let them know and they will have coffee and a sandwich ready for you before you leave.

I loved this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms facing the road if you can, the higher the better.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BazzaApfle
MinneSNOWta
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We stayed at four hotels while in Portugal. Two of them were higher end 4-star hotels, then we moved to Peninsular. We absolutely fell in love with the hotel and the staff. Our room wasn't ready so the daytime front desk gal (wish I could remember her name) cheerfully stowed our bags while we meandered around town.
Our room was fabulous! 429, two twin beds, spacious, beautifully furnished with wood, art deco furniture. The detailing in the furniture and marble bathroom was gorgeous and the two windows that opened up to the street provided city views of Porto. Prime location to be especially for the Sao Joao festival and proximity to Sao Bento train station.
The room was so clean that I tracked down the maids and tipped them.
Breakfast was included in the restaurant and provided us with a very nice spread of breads, pastries, coffee, cereal, fruit, etc. The maid that I had tipped was working the breakfast buffet and remembered me!
Peninsular offered us the charm and character of days gone by. It is extremely well maintained and makes you feel that you've just stepped back in time.

Room Tip: Ask for 429!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Wineott
London
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Stayed 3 nights here. I much prefer the old quirky hotels. They have character. Right in the centre of Porto and close to everything. Breakfast was good, help yourself to good, hot coffee. It all depends what you like. I prefer cheap, good location and character. Not sure you'd go here for a romantic time but if you're on your own it's fine.

I did ask for a quiet room and got a room round the back. When you opened the window all you saw was a wall a foot away lol! I think I would have preferred a room looking onto the street in hindsight.

Enjoyed Porto. Hasn't been ruined by Micky Ds, Starbucks, et al.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo