“Very happy with Peninsular” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Peninsular

Hotel Peninsular
Ranked #88 of 103 Hotels in Porto
Ottawa
“Very happy with Peninsular”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2008

We were very pleased with our room, which looked out onto the street, had good light, had a nice balcony and was big enough. We arrived at night and the view out the balcony was so pretty with the old railstation building and the moon...that made it for me! Location is great...it's a short walk to the river, but a nice walk. Parking is off site...we spent about 12 euro, I think per night. Breakfast was ok (but the coffee not so hot -- much better in a cafe!). The room came to 37 euro in cash, which was really awesome. The tiled decorations on the main floor are also quite pretty. Very good service as well.

• Liked — location, the view, excellent value
  • Stayed October 2008
3 Thank OttawaKim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2008

We spent two nights at the Pensao Peninsular on our six day trip around Porto & the Douro region.

I had read the reviews and knew what to expect but in saying that I was very happy with this basic accomodation. The receptionist was exceptionally friendly and let us take a look at a few rooms before deciding on one! The rooms within the pensao vary in standard also. On the whole, for what we paid, and the amount of time we spent here this was very good value. If you pay cash, the rooms gets cheaper!

The rooms were clean as was the bathroom. I say rooms as we stayed two seperate nights at both ends of the trip and had different rooms on both nights! Breakfast was the usual breadrolls, ham cheese, jam, huge croissants, tea, coffee and juice. Nothing to write home about but enough to keep you going!

The location is very good - just across from the railway station which incidentally is a fine building and the area was not noisy at all. In general I think people are warned against staying in establishments near railway stations but I did not come accross any undesirable elements!

Porto is a lovely town to spend a few days looking around and the port tours are a must!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dublinadvisor
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2007

We recently spent three great days in Porto. It's a lovely old city with much to see and do. The Peninsular hotel was an older one but with plenty of modern amenities and it is kept looking very clean and polished. It was clean, spacious enough, had the normal Portuguese hotel breakfast, tv in the room that included a news station in English, and a full bath. The staff always had someone on duty who spoke English for those with language difficulties. We would have paid 34 euros a night for a twin room but the price came down to 30 euros nightly with payment in cash. It was great and comfortable for the money. In addition, it is very central and only a minute or two away from the metro, Sao Bento train station, Aliados, and plenty of shopping and just a few minutes away from several of the main tourist attractions and the tourist office. If you want comfort and a place that is very reasonably priced this is great and for those who want more amenities you can have them for a few more euros in the more expensive rooms.

• Liked — central and clean
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank unclelouie
Bolton le Sands, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2007

I looked around for a place to stay in Porto for a few days and really didn't want to pay too much. Well after quite some time looking and checking the hotels via tripadvisor I came across this hotel.
The only way I was able to book the place was direct by phone. When I called the hotel in the evening one of the reception staff booked me in, I was a little concerned because they didn't ask me for any payment details. However arriving late in the evening there was no problem whatsoever in fact the staff had booked me into a very good room. My friend also had been allocated a separate room. Excellent start.
One point though, when we came up from the metro and saw the signage for the hotel my immediate reaction was to say 'Oh my god I been to one of these hotels before and it wasn't a good experience', don't be put off by this its OK when you get through the door.
The reception staff couldn't do more for us, they spoke good English, in fact later in the stay we changed rooms in fact we had a good look at a lot of rooms in the hotel. All were very different and you actually pay more for a room at the front of the hotel which mine was...it included a jacuzzi style bath and free minibar. The room was otherwise very minimalistic, white walls, high ceiling, old fashioned furniture, however it was very nice, this after all is a 2 star place.
The reason my friend and I changed rooms was because we were both located at the front of the hotel which was on a street that had various bus stops, in the mornings the daily city noises ensue. This wasn't the main reason for moving though, unfortunately one evening the city staff started to put Xmas lights outside hanging 6-10 m above the street. Although it didn't cause me much discomfort (I slept through it), my friend was kept awake until 4am. The fact that their first attempt failed we decided to move rooms in the hotel, to the rear, to ensure that there was no problems the following evening. The staff sorted us both with lovely rooms, although I lost my bubbly bath and free minibar I found a room the was good for me and had a double bed. The bathroom wasn't quite the same but you can't have everything. My friend decided to go for a smaller room at the back. Our bills both reduced by 6 euros a night,
The breakfast was a standard continental affair with coffee/tea, juice, bread rolls, ham and cheese, fruit etc. The guy who runs the show is there every morning to assist guests with his coffee machine and generally have a friendly chat, unfortunately this was in the local tongue, however he was a nice and pleasant guy.
This is a small family run hotel, very clean where you pay a little more for some rooms but I suggest you look at one or two and make a decision from a selection.
Location is very central with the main train station and metro line next door, A very good location for most things in Porto.
Its also a real quirky place and worthy of a stop over.

• Liked — The Staff were so helpful
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
5 Thank steved1
Milano
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2007

We stopped by chance lookin for a hotel and we found this piece of old world in the heart of the town. Incredibly cheap, 33€ a day for a twin room en suite. Old style furniture, lovely old-fashioned elevator and good breakfast. Thinking of the prices of hotels in Italy or England, it makes me sob. I hope it has not changed since.

• Liked — Price, location, old style but clean furniture
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2003, travelled with friends
2 Thank Acton999
derry city
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2007

we had booked one night at a hotel in porto, it was 4* and horrible so we walked around town and checked out availability on any hotel we came across, we found this one right across from the railway station and in the centre of town (but not noisy). the staff had enough english and were very friendly, breakfast was good enough. the price for the two of us for one night was 34 euros (incl breakfast) if you paid cash. just a tip...all the rooms are different sizes, different sized bathrooms so ask to see another room if you arent happy with the one they show you. very clean hotel, perfect location and perfect if you dont want to stay somewhere flash.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jacquiohara
Sonoma, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2006

Great value and location, loved the old world charm. We opted for the slightly more expensive upper floor room with beautiful antique furnishings. Had a jacuzzi tub, separate shower, and complimentary drinks in the fridge.

• Liked — furnishings
  • Disliked — creaky old elevator
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple