“Good value and friendly”

Residencial Palanca
Ranked #64 of 109 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Very friendly staff, basic but clean facilities, a little far from the centre on foot (25 minutes downhill) but 5 minutes from Metro station Marques. The very small hotel parking was already full when we checked in. However, street parking was free as it was Easter bank holiday weekend. Reception told us as soon as a space became available. The noise insulation from traffic and the lift is not very good. Good continental buffet breakfast when the hotel is fairly booked, but limited when there is low occupancy. Still good value for money overall.
We had a very nice meal at the restaurant Grauo Douro on Rua da Constituicao which is perpendicular to Faria Guimaraes and much cheaper than in the town center

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 February 2011

I stayed here a while back when I stayed in Porto. I split my trip between two different hotels but wish I had spent the full week at the other one!
I got checked in ok but when I got to my room I discovered that it doubles up as a fire exit and a key to get into the room was hanging up outside the door! I went down to the reception and explained that I wasnt happy with this as anyone could get into the room and they did remove it. The next day, I couldnt get any hot water in my room. I went to reception again and they said it would be fixed during the day. When I returned that evening, nothing had been done and they had to let me use another room so I could have a shower and get ready.

Breakfast was of poor quality, a couple of stale bread rolls, curly ham and cheese and stone cold coffee!

On the plus side, it was in a good safe location and the price was reasonably fair for what it was.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank ChrWal
Reviewed 3 February 2011

I have never before meet so helpful and open staff. They removed some cars from free parking to make place for me, organized bottle-opener, helped with maps and orientation in Porto. Hotel located 5min by walk from metro station. Tasty breakfast has been included. Room and bathroom was clean. Only noisily working elevator makes me nervous fo first minutes but I was tired enough to get over it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 December 2010

I had a great experience at this hotel. The staff was extremely friendly, breakfast was tasty and generous (served individually instead of buffet style), and the room was clean and quiet, all for a very affordable price. The decor is definitely outdated, but that did not bother me. The only thing that bothered me was the darkness of the hallways; one of the lights had burned out and was not replaced. The hotel is close to the subway, but if you have a heavy suitcase it will seem like a trek. I would definitely stay here again, as a budget traveller with high standards. Please note that this is not a four-star hotel - it is a four star pension; something like a 2-star hotel, as the manager explained to me.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Clean and basic room, but what a staff and what a location. The people here, Annabell, Juan Carlos and the guys we don't know names of were so kind, so helpful, and so willing to give you some of their time, it was a joy. The hotel is located really near the metro, bus stop, taxi rank, or a brisk fifteen minute walk to the centre. Ask at reception about restaurants in the area,better than ones in town. Restaurant Rito or Grauo Douro both within three minutes of the hotel are superb. Have a coffee or a beer at Cafe Bugatti on your way home will finish off a great night.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Rooms clean and spacious.
Avoid rooms near the elevator: noisy and makes you not sleep at night.
Breakfast simple but plentiful.
Staff very kind.
Free indoor parking is difficult, but is convenient free parking on the street.
Metro station 500 meters.
Good quality-money.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank EzPox
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Walking distance from metro Marques, good breakfast, quiet at night, friendly and helpful staff

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family