“Excellent!!!”

Residencial Palanca
Ranked #64 of 109 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Cozy place runned by portuguese family with amzing customer service,very clean,really nice rooms considering the value and good location very nearby all the good places to see in Porto city .
they have also a very nice breakfast

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank f a

Reviewed 10 September 2013

The staff cares a lot with everything,have parking,lovely breakfast and only 10 minutes away of the city center and all the sites..
we been ther long time and Carlos made sure our stay was delightfull

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank upvlivin
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I stayed there for 8 nights with my friend. The price is amazingly low and the staffs are extremly friendly! It has a pretty good location, though we did not know it when we arrived, just 5 mins away from the metro Marquês and we only took 15 minutes from hotel walking down to the main pedestrian street! it's a wonderful stay. however, we did find a very minor thing... we need to use a small trick to make sure the room door is securely lock, otherwise it will flap opened by chance. well, it's a hotel with long history! we will definately stay in the same hotel in our next visit!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Garfield O
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Stopped here from the 15th - 22nd May on a university trip.

The staff were excellent, always very friendly and wiling to help with any query that you had. I think it is a family run hotel so this adds to the feeling.

For the hotel itself, you do pay for what you get. In line with the cheap price paid for this trip, the hotel of course was basic. However, rooms were very clean, tidy and quite spacious. A warning though if you are allocated a room at the front of the hotel, the road in front is very noisy. The noise does only abate a little bit in the middle of the night. If like me, you are a light sleeper then you probably find this difficult. Thankfully, when I asked one of my tutors on the trip they requested a room at the back for me, which I recieved. I then a peaceful nights sleep for the rest of the week.

Other only small points to mention about the room : Beds were definitely on the firm side and for me took a couple of days to get used to as I have a much softer one at home in comparison. Also if you stop in the shower any longer than 10-15 mins then I found the water then goes cold and I couldn't get it to go warm again. For most people just having a quick shower this wouldn't be a problem I guess. However, when I came to washing my hair (which is quite long and very thick) this proved a bit of problem .

Breakfast is the typical continental style. Cereal (cornflakes or muesli), selection of bread rolls, ham, cheese, yoghurts, fruit. To drink there was tea, coffee or orange juice.

As other reviewers have said it is not in the centre of Porto but this wasn't particulary a problem for us. It is though only a 5 minute walk to the nearest metro station (Marques) and then 5 minutes on the metro itself to the centre.

Despite the couple of complaints I have mentioned, overall it was an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suzanne B
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Very friendly staff, basic but clean facilities, a little far from the centre on foot (25 minutes downhill) but 5 minutes from Metro station Marques. The very small hotel parking was already full when we checked in. However, street parking was free as it was Easter bank holiday weekend. Reception told us as soon as a space became available. The noise insulation from traffic and the lift is not very good. Good continental buffet breakfast when the hotel is fairly booked, but limited when there is low occupancy. Still good value for money overall.
We had a very nice meal at the restaurant Grauo Douro on Rua da Constituicao which is perpendicular to Faria Guimaraes and much cheaper than in the town center

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2011

I stayed here a while back when I stayed in Porto. I split my trip between two different hotels but wish I had spent the full week at the other one!
I got checked in ok but when I got to my room I discovered that it doubles up as a fire exit and a key to get into the room was hanging up outside the door! I went down to the reception and explained that I wasnt happy with this as anyone could get into the room and they did remove it. The next day, I couldnt get any hot water in my room. I went to reception again and they said it would be fixed during the day. When I returned that evening, nothing had been done and they had to let me use another room so I could have a shower and get ready.

Breakfast was of poor quality, a couple of stale bread rolls, curly ham and cheese and stone cold coffee!

On the plus side, it was in a good safe location and the price was reasonably fair for what it was.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank ChrWal
Reviewed 3 February 2011

I have never before meet so helpful and open staff. They removed some cars from free parking to make place for me, organized bottle-opener, helped with maps and orientation in Porto. Hotel located 5min by walk from metro station. Tasty breakfast has been included. Room and bathroom was clean. Only noisily working elevator makes me nervous fo first minutes but I was tired enough to get over it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends