“Everything I had hoped and more”
Review of eLeBe Baixa

eLeBe Baixa
Ranked #22 of 1,759 Restaurants in Porto
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Over the past two weeks, I was in Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona and found the food in all locales fantastic overall. However, few restaurants in particular rose above the extremely high standards I developed after the first week of the trip. eleBe, however, was perhaps the most notable of such rare establishments. The waiter who helped us made me finally understand why his profession is respected in Europe; his help in choosing wine and food suited to our taste and budget was terrific. The location, although slightly outside of the city center, is a virtue in itself as it is sheltered from the inflated prices and disappointing food to be found in more touristed areas by a neighborhood that struck me as lively, Portuguese, and still quite pleasant to walk through. And the food, well, I'd have to be a more accomplished critic or at least a more creative writer to sufficiently describe how good it was. But I can say that you should go here if you want a terrific meal that you'll remember and that you'll swear should've costed about twice what you'll end up paying.

4  Thank Andrew M

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stumbled in quite accidentally as we thought the ambience looked relaxed and cosy. Service was slow initially- though it being only 11.30am- but this was soon more than compensated by a delicious helping of homemade bread and butter. Lunch came in generous portions- the homemade partridge sausage for two (a specialty of the house, so I was told) was so hearty and flavoursome that we would have called it a day but for the ensuing main-course of deep-fried grouper with wet rice. There was much to love here: the rice was simultaneously pungent from the prawn stock and zingy with lime juice, and the nuts that ran through the battered grouper elevated it well above your bog-standard battered cod. Service by this time had picked up- every detail was taken care of efficiently and attentively, with an accompanying smile.
Dinner was a similar high. Our starters of prawns with chilli and garlic surprised us by being so intensely prawny, thereby more than making up for the slight rubberiness in the prawns themselves. But the highlight of the meal was the slow-roasted goat- the meat truly fell off the bone in all its fatty succulent goodness that is the stuff of dreams. Dessert was an intimate affair of mixed fruits and cheese. Our server, the same from lunch, having been lovingly attentive all night (albeit clearly busy given the place was packed), even passed on a complimentary glass of port!

4  Thank Ian T
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Been there with a group of 6 friends and I Loved it. It is a cosy environment and the staff is friendly and always available. The food itself is very gpod , tasty and we can see that it is made with love and dedication. Will come back definitely.

3  Thank Frederico F
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Portuguese are known for their hospitality and great food. We choose this restaurant for its good critics. Well, its all made up! The food is terrible!!! Food wasn't fresh. Everything was heat. And tasted and looked awful. I don't recomend this restaurant! Simply isn't worth it! And embarrasses all portuguese! The restaurant should know food is their business! But in eLeBe there is no quality.

2  Thank Margarida S
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

How can a restaurant Be placed so high and have such a bad food. Ia not right to serve your costumers cold and yesterday soup... I'

Even the main dish was not fresh... We had to send it back. Never again!

4  Thank Vferreira79