“The DIRTIEST hotel I've ever stayed in!”
Review of Hotel Nave

Hotel Nave
Ranked #95 of 104 Hotels in Porto
Belfast, Northern Ireland
“The DIRTIEST hotel I've ever stayed in!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We booked this hotel because it seemed reasonably priced and in a good location but honestly it was not worth the money.

When we arrived at the hotel the staff spoke good English and were nice and helpful, the hotel was easy to find and the transaction at the front desk was quite pleasant. It wasn't until we got to our room via the rusty lift that we realised this place was rather poor.

The room was small and musty. It had ancient dark wood furniture from the 1950s and had an overall 'unclean' feel, apart from the bed linen which was fine, although it was covered with a retro floral patterned throw that I'm sure hadn't been washed sines 1973. In the wardrobe were three extra wooly blankets that's I daren't touch for fear of disturbing an army of moths. There were air conditioning units attached to the walls in the bedroom and adjoining bathroom that were creating a rusty stain up the wall - they were also rather loud but worked well to cool down the room.

None of these things would really have bothered me too much as I was there to see the city and the room was just somewhere to sleep but the worst surprise came when we were packing up to leave - As a final check to make sure I had left nothing behind I lifted up one of the beds to find a variety of wrappers, rubbish and (most randomly) a plastic bag filled with those individually packaged butter servings!! I'm shocked that there were no insects in the room!

Speaking of butter... The breakfast was poor. A slice if eggy cake, croissant or a bread roll were the only choices along with dilute juice or disgusting coffee. They could have done much better.

There was free wi-fi but it didn't always work.

If it can be avoided I will not be staying here again!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank rainbowformyeyes

• Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed 29 June 2012

From what I gathered on the website, Hotel Nave appeared to be an attractive place to stay the night. We were looking for a place that was cheap and was situated at a convenient location.

Upon arrival? My oh my, the pictures of the hotel (on websites) were quite misleading. The entire hotel seemed very run down. Everything was in working order, but it was basically your bare minimum. Oh, and no shampoo or body wash. Just a bar of soap waiting in the bathroom!

Want to use wi-fi? You can only connect in the lobby or if you're half-way up the stairs to the first floor.

Anyways, for the price I paid I guess I shouldn't natter on about its dingy appearance (sorry). Breakfast was included and it had your basics: yogurt, croissant, juice, ham and sponge cake.

Some pros:
- a 3 minute walk from Campo 24 Agosto Metro Station
- walking distance to the heart of Porto (~20 minute walk)
- front desk staff were very helpful when inquired about bus schedules, wine tours and tourist destinations

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Naomi K
Estados Unidos
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Other TripAdvisor reviews have commented that the Hotel Nave is not very clean. Actually, my experience was that it was "clean enough", although the room I was in REALLY needed to have its carpeting replaced. My problems with the hotel were (i) that the wi-fi did not work very well, and there is a very complicated (and unnecessarilly irksome) log-in proceedure required evey time you try to access the hotel's wi-fi network (which, as I said, didn't work very well anyway); and (ii) although the hotel is about 400 meters from a metro stop, it is really quite a long way (a 30+ minute walk, if you choose to NOT go by metro) from the places in Porto that you want to see. Additionally, in addition to the wi-fi problems, there's a standard computer terminal off of the lobby, for guests. This also has problems working properly, and -- for some reason -- it (too) requires this same complicated log-in proceedure which is specific to each guest's room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ArgentineTraveller6

Travellers are raving about these Porto hotels

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We had to move here from another hotel we had been disappointed in. Well... It was better than previous one. But. Firstly we couldn't manage to open window... then to open hot water in bathroom (the reason was in melting of plastic details because of hot temperature), then I caught the Noisiest Room in all the hotel and the Coldest one.

So if you're tempted with prices be attentive to choose proper room. Or to buy earplugs in closest pharmacy point.

As for location: Nave is really not far from center if you are able to move by foot.
Breakfast is poor but say thank you for chance not to have with teams of pensioners and go away to cafe nearby (for ex, Pinguim has free wifi you can catch from every poiny next to metro square).

And especially I wanna say thank you to stuff. Paolo and his mustached colleague were helpful aaaaaall the time.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business