“Brilliant local restaurant”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 September 2013

we were recommended this as a local restaurant serving a good selection of local food.
It was truly amazing, we went on my birthday and had possibly the best meal and service we had in Northern Portugal.
The menu was extensive and service was very good.

1  Thank Jane0303

Reviewed 18 December 2012

A few years ago I went on a vacation trip to Serra da Estrela and had dinner at the Restaurante Camelo in a local hotel. It was superb. I get water in my mouth just thinking about that.
After that, a friend of mine told me about this Restaurante Camelo near Viana do Castelo as being from the same owner and I always wanted go there. Well, I went there in the end of November and...

The place is nice, the service is very good and familiar - if you like this kind of atmosphere.
But being a lover of this kind of food, I cannot say that it was superb. Just regular.
In terms of food quantity, although it is not cheap, you eat what you pay, probably a bit more!

Summarizing, it is fine if you want to have dinner (and are hungry) in a quiet and not expensive restaurant.

1  Thank jjaa1974
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is a very good local place. Best octopus I´ve ever eaten! Vino mi casa!
I don't eat meat but my friends said that it was delicious too.
And the home made Baba de camelo was just divine ;-)
If you´re lucky you can join portuguese wedding since it is a very popular place for such a party.

Enjoy!

1  Thank SurfPasmen
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Take my opinion as a Reliable information.
This is one of the BEST Restaurants in Portugal.
Food is fantastic specialy the Rojões com Sarrabulho and if you add the Wine "verde tinto da casa" then you are just some steps from Perfection.
Highly recommended this Food Santuary.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

I went with a group and many people raved about the blood sausage and other typical foods of the region. I will defer to my travel companions and say it must have been good. Personally, although the portions were huge and the port was excellent, I left hungry, but that was my fault, I just do not like this type of food. They make a special after dinner drink that has won many awards, but it was so strong I thought it might make me blind. It is obviously a well regarded restaurant because the locals eat there, so if in the region and you want to experience local traditional food at its best, go.