I stay at this hotel just because it is very close to the place where I go to work when I am in Viana do Castelo. I came here for the first time in 2009, and I stayed for periods ranging from 3 days to 2 weeks, 2 or three times per year, but never during summer months except the last time. Reading the other reviews, I agree on some points but I completely disagree on others. Eventually, I can state that:
01) having a sea-view room is much, much better than the others rooms whose price should be halved ...
02) the rooms are larger than other 4-star hotel in which I stayed.
03) the furniture is simple and essential but I like it.
04) the bathroom is large and comfortable.
05) the staff is kind and polite (no sign of rudeness, even if I noted that there were some changes from a staying to the other, so I can't exclude that ugly guys had been working at the hotel for some time).
06) I never took advantage of the spa tough it is true that "locals" are there.
07) the restaurant is very good but in my opinion is too expensive and the menu does not offer many options. Back in 2011, it was possible to choose the self-service/smorgasboard. There was a lot of food to try and taste and the price was very reasonable. However, that time has gone ...
08) the breakfast is one of the best I have ever experienced.
09) I am not able to judge if this is a 4-star hotel or a 2-star: what I know is that it is clean and quiet.
10) it is expensive with respect to other non-Portuguese hotels in which I stayed. I want to highlight that my Portuguese experience is limited to this hotel.
11) the beach in front of the hotel is rocky. You had better go to the beaches not so far the hotel.
12) the hotel is not close to the city center but it is not such a long walk.
13) the hotel could be a "base-camp" while exploring the many interesting places of the Minho region.
14) Take into account that Viana do Castelo is not a sea-oriented city as Rimini in Italy, for instance. The wind blows continuously and if you like to sun-bath, then you have to arrange some tent or tarpaulin as the locals do. Besides, the Atlantic Ocean water is completely different from the water of the Adriatic Sea, for instance. It is much colder, having a bath may be a freezing experience. If you have children, pay extra attention!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Flor de Sal is a 4 stars Hotel located in the beautiful city of Viana do Castelo, 70 kms north of Porto. The Hotel is on the coast, facing the Atlantic Ocean and benefits from superb sea views. Located within breathtaking surroundings, the Hotel offers quality accommodation and a great variety of leisure activities. The interior has been carefully decorated to include a number of touches of modern design. Opened in December 2004, Flor de Sal Hotel has 60 bedrooms, including a luxury suite, two executive suites, six Junior suites and two rooms suitable for guests with disabilities. All rooms are comfortably furnished, and equipped with a mini-bar, hairdryer, safe, air conditioning, cable TV and direct telephone line. Flor de Sal has 32 rooms with sea view, all with their own private balcony or terrace. For business meetings or company events, the Hotel l has 3 conference rooms facing the Atlantic Ocean and an auditorium which seats 150. The Hotel also has a 2000 square meters Health Club & SPA, with hairdressers, gym, massage facilities and two heated salty water swimming pools. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your Flor de Sal Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.