“Got lucky on the Executive room.”

BEST WESTERN City Centre
“Got lucky on the Executive room.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Not a bad hotel. Decent breakfast buffet. Bit depressing and shady neighbourhood, but the hotel itself was decent. Room was noisier than I would have thought, but doable for a night. Wifi gave voor signal but didn't really give a decent browsing speed or Skype connection. As mentioned... Judging by some of the earlier reviews possibly I lucked out by being put in an Executive room.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ACJdeVette

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Brussels was busy, so paid 370 euros via expedia for a smelly worn out prison cell. Very poor.reasonably clean but overriding smell of smoke in a non smoking room didnt make for a good nights sleep. Would have left but the hotel takes full payment on check in and everywhere else was full...

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Andy D

Travellers are raving about these Saint-Josse-ten-Noode hotels

Porto, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed three nights at Best Western City Centre in June. We made the reservation directly with the hotel via email. At the check-in we were told we didn't have any reservation. I insisted that we had and showed the email confirmation. After 15 minutes of searching for our reservation, while telling us first that the reservation was indeed only a inquiry of availability and then that it was only for a single room, the receptionist finally told us that we were correct and that we had indeed a reservation. Not one apology for the trouble, not one smile. This rude behaviour would continue throughout our stay, particularly from what appeared to be the front desk manager.

Althought we were given a twin room and not a double the room itself is adequate and clean. We had no problems with the bed or pillows. One of the sheets had what seemed to be cigarette burns. The minibar was empty. The shower towels were so thin they looked like rags and the internet didn't work.

Despite of the name the Hotel is far from being in the city centre. Located 5 minutes from Gare du Nord it was good for us as we planned to visit Ghent and Brugge.

In conclusion: we would not stay at this hotel again mainly because of the rudeness and unfriendliness showed by the staff. I'm sure if we ever visit brussels again we will find better options.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John I
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Hotel chosen because (a) Best Western and (b) name Best Western City Centre Hotel. Not up to usual Best Western Standard and certainly not city centre. At least 30 minutes walk to Grand Place. 5 minutes from Brussels Gare Nord railway station. If arriving in Gare Nord watch exit you use. Do not use a main entrance but that to the rear of the station at the far end of the accesses to the platforms away from the concourse. Another tip, if you are over 65 and going to say Bruges, tell the ticket office your age and you get huge concessions. For example, usual fare 30 Euros return, concession 6 Euros! Perhaps hotel staff should advise clients of this. Hotel, including bathroom, was clean. Breakfast adequate. Not a well stocked bar. They had no Bicardi! Staff friendly and helpful but do state Grand Place is 15 minutes away. Yes, at a sprint. As reported in another review staff didn’t know where the Hop on Hop off bus could be picked up. One of the buses (there are two, route 1 and route 2) stops relatively near the hotel. The woman I took as being owner or manager was a disgrace and not at all friendly, in fact quite hostile to the staff, but thankfully she seemed to only appear later on in the evening keeping her eye on her staff! Wifi was intermittent. Not a bad price for what you get I suppose but in a run down area currently being developed. Don’t think too safe for women on their own!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EdinburghNel
Derbyshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a four night break 6th-10th June.

Only booked an ordinary room and this turned out to be on the first floor at the front of the building looking out onto the police station. Had the window open at night as the weather was warm and was not troubled with any noise at all. The room itself was more than adequate with a large comfortable double bed and a very clean bathroom and the water was always hot.

They do provide you with a kettle and cups to make a cup of tea or coffee in your room, all was fine until we tried to make a drink and found out that we had..........

Ipk of earl grey tea.
2pk of coffee
7pk of sugar
no milk powder
no spoon

You would think that housekeeping would check the quantities match up.

Breakfast was good but the scrambled egg does tend to run out, we did ask for it to be replaced but felt the woman who oversees the breakfast could be a little more pleasent.
The coffee comes out of a machine and is the worse coffee I have ever had.

Reception staff are very good and nothing is to much trouble to them, all speak good English.

Its true that this hotel is about an half hours walk into the centre of Brussels and is not in a very good area but for what you pay it is not a bad hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Don't be fooled as I was by the location of this hotel. It is NOT in the City Centre. It is a good 20-30 minutes walk. It is in a seedy part of town. There were no lifts operating at the closest train station Gare Nord as they were boarded up. However, regarding the hotel itself, our hotel room was clean,warm and quiet. The towels in our room were a dark grey (supposed to be white!!) and so thin and threadbare that I would have used them for rags. Staff were helpful, but need to provide precise details for where to pick up the Hop On, Hop Off Bus. My husband and I were waiting almost an hour in the place where we were told to pick up the bus, to find out from another traveller that it was around the corner and we almost missed it. They only come once an hour! Breakfast was standard fare. Wi-Fi is supposed to work in the hotel rooms, but did not work in our room, but did downstairs by reception. I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Don't go here unless you are on a strict budget as it is of average quality and NOT in the City...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank virginia096
Galway, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

As other reviewers have pointed out, it's a bit off center. However, the botanique metro station is close by. At the reception they seemed to be eager to get rid of me. As I was being helped, the phone rang and they completely ignored me and left me standing there for a few minutes. When I got my key and opened the room, the first thing that stroke me was the broken closet door, which was standing next to it. Ok, that was not so bad. They could have taken the door out and just leave the closet without a door, particularly because the door was interrupting the corridor to the rest of the room. Also, the cleaning ladies put the door back in the closet, which made me believe it was fixed but when I went to open it, the door fell on my head!!!

The second frustration was the shower head - when I went to take a shower, the shower head was completely broken and water squirted everywhere. Was not able to take a shower properly and even cut my finger on it. Not nice!

My most important frustration was the internet. I picked this hotel precisely because of internet - but the computer could not connect to the wireless and there was no wired alternative. Weak!!

The breakfast was OK and the internet worked in the (tiny) lobby.

Room Tip: Don't take a room facing the street... It's quite noisy
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank hdeus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
Maxhotel
Maxhotel
#57 of 199 in Brussels
Floris Arlequin Grand'Place

Been to BEST WESTERN City Centre? Share your experiences!