“Unstable/no Wifi connection, terrible reception”

Best Western City Centre
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Unstable/no Wifi connection, terrible reception”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed here in April 2014 and it turned out to be extremely disappointing. It all started when I found that the Wifi connection in my room was not so stable or more like not working at all. When I called the reception, the male staff who seemed to be a desk manager told me to come down stairs without apologising for the trouble (he literally said that "it is you who claim to have a problem and hence you need to come downstairs").

The moment he saw me approaching with my Mac PC, he smiled and said "Ah Mac! That's why!", and told me that some of the past Mac users including himself had been experiencing the same problem (which he obviously did not find problematic as he himself could use an alternative network limited for the office use and considered the minority customers are not worth giving attention to).

It was only when I showed my discontent and anger that he started to suggest alternatives, although they were far from what I could accept. When I told him that I did not agree to pay for this service, he suggested me to find another hotel, kindly noting that all the rooms in Brussels should have been full by now due to the holiday season (our conversation took place after 20:00).

There were many other illogical and rude comments during our conversation but in any case, he made it very clear that he had no intention to fix the problem in the future or to appreciate the customers' preferences, so I advise those of you who are looking for stress-free Wifi environment as well as flexible and respectful hotel staffs to avoid this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Anne1908

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Navan, Ireland
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This hotel is very close to Gard du Nord - and the red light district - and is only a fifteen minute walk to Grand Place, with lots of shops and restaurants in the area. When I stayed, the price here was one third that of the hotels in the nearby Place Rogier! I found the free internet access worked fine, even up on the top floor.

There was no A/C in my single room so I would think it would be very hot in the summer time as it was already warm when I stayed in March! Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Robert F
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed in the hotel for 3nights and we found our room door open with cleaning equipments at the door at 8pm when we arrived. There is no reasonable explanation and I was informed that cleaning period was from 8am to 2pm. So our room door stayed open for more than 6hours and nobody checked the rooms and corridors even when the shift changed at 3pm. We had a computer, 2ipads, bags and of course personal belongings and the answer was: it is OK if nothing stolen!!!

I would not expect such lack of security and management from a well known group as Best Western and I am sorry I will not be choosing BW anymore.

Room Tip: Do not leave your valuable belongings in the rooms...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Melike100

Travellers are raving about these Saint-Josse-ten-Noode hotels

Pune, India
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I was on a business tour to Brussels for 10 days and booked myself here from Booking.com. When you are on business you look for the following:
1. Good nights sleep (2/5 as I had 2 single beds)
2. A good breakfast (3/5 typical continental spread)
3. Good location with transport links (4/5 well situated)
4. Internet / Wifi to facilitate work (4/5 speed varied occassionally)
Above all, you generally expect a standard level of service.

Well the hotel has a very good location, close to the city centre, shopping malls and main attractions like Grand Place and of course to the transport links. The hotel is in an old building and the rooms are good, well kept and decently sized. The service was mixed
1. They promise safety boxes but I was told off as they have 6 boxes for ~50 rooms
2. The site promised a mini bar but that was locked
3. One day I would have loads of coffee sachet but no creamer or sugar. No stirrers!
4. Reception staff was very warm and helpful (except one jerk who I found very racist)

To sum it up, service is a bit inconsistent and can be improved

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommed a walk around in the evenings as the surrounding area is a bit shady
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SalilRajhans
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This hotel is fantastic value for the money you pay.Our room was very spacious and was spotlessly clean,there was plenty of choice at breakfast.the hotel staff are as good as we have ever had anywhere in the world,nothing was to much trouble for them,they phoned for a taxi for us,and even checked us in and printed our boarding pass off for our flight home,all the staff are excellent,yes there is a shady area behind the hotel,but why people would want to go that way I have no idea.It is about a ten minute walk to all the shops and the grand place

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Avezzano, Italy
Reviewed 27 December 2013

excellent staff.
Confortable room and good breakfast.
just a little bit out of downtown but this distance from the city center gives the opportunity to walk and then whatch the beautiful place along the way.

Room Tip: all rooms are ok.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank linda_li2467
Linz, Austria
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Though centrally located near the Nord railway station, the area is quite shady
Aware that it is only 500m away from the station, decided to walk there early evening.
Bad decision. Nearly got mugged on the way
Hence took a taxi back the following morning
Now about the Hotel
Rooms are terrible with a musty odor and not to mention tiny, definitely no value for the price I paid
Breakfast was average considering the property does not have a restaurant as such
Only redeeming feature is the friendly front desk
Definitely not returning back

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank UGeeP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Best Western Hotel Royal Centre
Floris Ustel Midi
Floris Ustel Midi
#2 of 6 in Anderlecht
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
Hotel Queen Anne
Hotel Queen Anne
#100 of 198 in Brussels
Pantone Hotel
Pantone Hotel
#5 of 22 in Saint-Gilles
Ibis Brussels Centre Gare Midi

Been to Best Western City Centre? Share your experiences!