“Sufficient for a Short Stay”

Best Western City Centre
Denver, Colorado
“Sufficient for a Short Stay”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

When visiting the Best Western in Brussels I found an immaculate room with all the toiletries in a spotless bathroom. It was an average sized room for Europe; I was not expecting a suite. The breakfast offered some hot, cold cereal, and continental servings with fresh pressed orange juice. Unfortunately, the hotel staff for the most part was not particularly welcoming, except for one man by the name of Jordi who really cared about the guests, and went out of his way to accommodate each request. I chose the hotel because of its location near the railway station, little more than 5 minutes if you take the right streets. I also wanted to be in the “middle of the city.” It indeed was difficult for me to locate the hotel initially; even with a GPS I got turned around. The flat screen television in the room "skipped" occasionally, which was annoying. Since my stay was relatively brief, I found the room to be sufficient. I did appreciate the proximity to the beautiful Botanical Gardens of Brussels, which is literally across the street. Nonetheless, I would not feel safe walking in and around the neighborhood at night, although the hotel itself is just diagonal to a police station. I do wish that the Grand Square had been closer such as it was promoted in the hotel's promotional lore. If you do not know where you are going, the fifteen minute walk to the Grand Square can be extended significantly. I have been to many Best Western Hotels throughout Europe and this was not its finest feather. It was adequate and that is all.

Room Tip: I was on the fifth floor and looked out on the police station and my room was an average size. It w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I don't usually complain about anything. It takes a lot to make me angry and i have stayed in dozens and dozens of so called "3 star" hotels. But this place is absolutely AWFUL. We paid approx $170 per night so not exactly budget. So you expect at least a certain level of service. We only stayed here because literally everywhere was booked out. No wonder this place still had rooms available.

Check in: Jordin was the guy's name. He was friendly enough, but when we checked in, he said "let me check what's available" and then disappeared for 15 minutes to literally go onto each floor to check what room is available! I mean it's 2014, surely you have computer systems you can view info on? Ridiculous start but we got over it.

Room: Fridge was not only filthy and mouldy, but wouldn't even work. We had bought some milk and yogurt so asked them to move us to another room with a working fridge. They then said they couldn't but could only store our food in their reception fridge. Absolutely ridiculous when you're paying for a room with a fridge.

The next morning they at least offered us free breakfast for our stay. Mind you, the breakfast was awful and then when my partner was loading up his plate with meat (yes, he was hungry and works out so he was eating a lot of meat), the kitchen woman walked up to him and said "wow, take 30 euros from us why don't you". Unbelievable! I've never seen such rudeness. A buffet is a buffet you silly woman and we are guests!.

Then later that evening, after being out for 12 hours in brussels, we came home and i jumped in the shower. then realised we had no towels!! My partner then had to run down and the guy at reception didn't even apologise. Just had a vague look on his face and said "oh the cleaners must have forgotten". Absolutely unacceptable to not even apologise. Then he gave us towels and then, upstairs, we realised he had only given us 1 large towel and 2 hand towels. What a joke.

I could have put up with this place if it was charging a small fee, but this is the WORST hotel i've ever stayed in in the world with the absolute rudest staff.

Avoid and book somewhere else!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jeremy M

Travellers are raving about these Saint-Josse-ten-Noode hotels

Aberdeen
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Leaking roof which was only rectified by moving the furniture in the room away from the drips - the bed was wet, bedding was wet - hotel staff weren't much use and when my travel agent phoned for a refund they denied all knowledge of the problem.
I order a taxi for 7.30am at 7am. I sat down to breakfast at 7.05am and got told my taxi was there so had to throw breakfast down my throat.
Overall experience was very off putting and did not help when I had a busy day ahead in Brussels with very minimal sleep due to the room conditions.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Paul G
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Hotel was good with nice breakfast and cooperative staff but room was very small and not that clean. Also the location of hotel is very bad. It took quite long time to search this hotel though it is not very far away from city centre and railways station.

Room Tip: Try for other alternate hotels. In the same price range you can get other hotels.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MohammadTKhan
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed here in April 2014 and it turned out to be extremely disappointing. It all started when I found that the Wifi connection in my room was not so stable or more like not working at all. When I called the reception, the male staff who seemed to be a desk manager told me to come down stairs without apologising for the trouble (he literally said that "it is you who claim to have a problem and hence you need to come downstairs").

The moment he saw me approaching with my Mac PC, he smiled and said "Ah Mac! That's why!", and told me that some of the past Mac users including himself had been experiencing the same problem (which he obviously did not find problematic as he himself could use an alternative network limited for the office use and considered the minority customers are not worth giving attention to).

It was only when I showed my discontent and anger that he started to suggest alternatives, although they were far from what I could accept. When I told him that I did not agree to pay for this service, he suggested me to find another hotel, kindly noting that all the rooms in Brussels should have been full by now due to the holiday season (our conversation took place after 20:00).

There were many other illogical and rude comments during our conversation but in any case, he made it very clear that he had no intention to fix the problem in the future or to appreciate the customers' preferences, so I advise those of you who are looking for stress-free Wifi environment as well as flexible and respectful hotel staffs to avoid this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Anne1908
Navan, Ireland
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This hotel is very close to Gard du Nord - and the red light district - and is only a fifteen minute walk to Grand Place, with lots of shops and restaurants in the area. When I stayed, the price here was one third that of the hotels in the nearby Place Rogier! I found the free internet access worked fine, even up on the top floor.

There was no A/C in my single room so I would think it would be very hot in the summer time as it was already warm when I stayed in March! Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Robert F
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed in the hotel for 3nights and we found our room door open with cleaning equipments at the door at 8pm when we arrived. There is no reasonable explanation and I was informed that cleaning period was from 8am to 2pm. So our room door stayed open for more than 6hours and nobody checked the rooms and corridors even when the shift changed at 3pm. We had a computer, 2ipads, bags and of course personal belongings and the answer was: it is OK if nothing stolen!!!

I would not expect such lack of security and management from a well known group as Best Western and I am sorry I will not be choosing BW anymore.

Room Tip: Do not leave your valuable belongings in the rooms...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Melike100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Best Western Hotel Royal Centre
Floris Ustel Midi
Floris Ustel Midi
#2 of 6 in Anderlecht
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
Hotel Queen Anne
Hotel Queen Anne
#100 of 198 in Brussels
Pantone Hotel
Pantone Hotel
#5 of 22 in Saint-Gilles
Ibis Brussels Centre Gare Midi

Been to Best Western City Centre? Share your experiences!