“Depressingly budget”

Best Western City Centre
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Another corporate booking hotel gem!
Basic doesn't begin to cover it. Tiny bathroom and separate toilet, 2 single beds pushed together, room v small.
Seemed to be clean enough, and shower hot and powerful, and wi-fi worked ok.
Tiny bar / reception, all handled by 1 person on duty.
Little things annoyed. - Mini bar locked and no key; kettle and cups, but 1 (green) tea bag only and a few sugars, no milk not even the horrible long life stuff. Clearly nobody could be bothered to replenish it.
Area looked run down, litter bags piled up on pavement, graffiti and building sites everywhere.

I can't recall staying in such a depressing hotel, although the urban village in Newcastle gives it a run for it's money. Neither are places you would willingly wish to spend more than a night at, but as long as bookings like these are few and far between,no problem.

Room Tip: For a good room, book somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is nice and clean, located near the historical centre, 5 min walk from metro, restaurants and shopping area. The rooms are clean and quiet. The staff is very friendly and helpful, especially Mr. Jordi from the reception was very nice. In front of a hotel there is a police station, so it's also quite a safe place to stay. I recommend this hotel as a good choice for visiting the city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Upon check in I was surprised to see a lone person handling alone all the reception and the cafeteria areas. The "business" single room is small (rather gloomy) and came with a single bed but was nonetheless functional and WIFI internet did work for me (notwithstanding what others have stated in their reviews). I had to ask for a key to "activate" the small refrigerator therein and it is a good add-on in Europe. There was no A/C but luckily it was not needed yet this time of year. Bathroom was spacious and was definitely the better part of the entire room and the entire stay. If you did not pay too much, this is a decent hotel in a decent are of Brussels, just do not expect too much in spite of the Best Western logo.

Room Tip: There seem to be ongoing construction on one side of the hotel....
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I went for a three day trip and found this hotel decently priced and comfortable. It is not very close to the city centre, as the name suggests, so not ideal for tourists. But for a work trip it is a good option. Wifi is free and fast, the breakfast is a good continental spread - standard thought. The bathroom is large enough with a bath tub. The room is not big, but most european hotels are like that. The heating is good and the beds are comfortable. The staff is friendly and helps out with your luggage and even offers to store it for you.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2014

When visiting the Best Western in Brussels I found an immaculate room with all the toiletries in a spotless bathroom. It was an average sized room for Europe; I was not expecting a suite. The breakfast offered some hot, cold cereal, and continental servings with fresh pressed orange juice. Unfortunately, the hotel staff for the most part was not particularly welcoming, except for one man by the name of Jordi who really cared about the guests, and went out of his way to accommodate each request. I chose the hotel because of its location near the railway station, little more than 5 minutes if you take the right streets. I also wanted to be in the “middle of the city.” It indeed was difficult for me to locate the hotel initially; even with a GPS I got turned around. The flat screen television in the room "skipped" occasionally, which was annoying. Since my stay was relatively brief, I found the room to be sufficient. I did appreciate the proximity to the beautiful Botanical Gardens of Brussels, which is literally across the street. Nonetheless, I would not feel safe walking in and around the neighborhood at night, although the hotel itself is just diagonal to a police station. I do wish that the Grand Square had been closer such as it was promoted in the hotel's promotional lore. If you do not know where you are going, the fifteen minute walk to the Grand Square can be extended significantly. I have been to many Best Western Hotels throughout Europe and this was not its finest feather. It was adequate and that is all.

Room Tip: I was on the fifth floor and looked out on the police station and my room was an average size. It w...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I don't usually complain about anything. It takes a lot to make me angry and i have stayed in dozens and dozens of so called "3 star" hotels. But this place is absolutely AWFUL. We paid approx $170 per night so not exactly budget. So you expect at least a certain level of service. We only stayed here because literally everywhere was booked out. No wonder this place still had rooms available.

Check in: Jordin was the guy's name. He was friendly enough, but when we checked in, he said "let me check what's available" and then disappeared for 15 minutes to literally go onto each floor to check what room is available! I mean it's 2014, surely you have computer systems you can view info on? Ridiculous start but we got over it.

Room: Fridge was not only filthy and mouldy, but wouldn't even work. We had bought some milk and yogurt so asked them to move us to another room with a working fridge. They then said they couldn't but could only store our food in their reception fridge. Absolutely ridiculous when you're paying for a room with a fridge.

The next morning they at least offered us free breakfast for our stay. Mind you, the breakfast was awful and then when my partner was loading up his plate with meat (yes, he was hungry and works out so he was eating a lot of meat), the kitchen woman walked up to him and said "wow, take 30 euros from us why don't you". Unbelievable! I've never seen such rudeness. A buffet is a buffet you silly woman and we are guests!.

Then later that evening, after being out for 12 hours in brussels, we came home and i jumped in the shower. then realised we had no towels!! My partner then had to run down and the guy at reception didn't even apologise. Just had a vague look on his face and said "oh the cleaners must have forgotten". Absolutely unacceptable to not even apologise. Then he gave us towels and then, upstairs, we realised he had only given us 1 large towel and 2 hand towels. What a joke.

I could have put up with this place if it was charging a small fee, but this is the WORST hotel i've ever stayed in in the world with the absolute rudest staff.

Avoid and book somewhere else!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jeremy M
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Leaking roof which was only rectified by moving the furniture in the room away from the drips - the bed was wet, bedding was wet - hotel staff weren't much use and when my travel agent phoned for a refund they denied all knowledge of the problem.
I order a taxi for 7.30am at 7am. I sat down to breakfast at 7.05am and got told my taxi was there so had to throw breakfast down my throat.
Overall experience was very off putting and did not help when I had a busy day ahead in Brussels with very minimal sleep due to the room conditions.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Paul G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Best Western Hotel Royal Centre
Hotel Queen Anne
Hotel Queen Anne
#102 of 199 in Brussels
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek

Been to Best Western City Centre? Share your experiences!