“Less Boom, Same Bloom.”

Hotel BLOOM!
Marietta, Ohio, United States
“Less Boom, Same Bloom.”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Preview: I’ve spent many weeks in hotel bloom, and three of them were over the period of October-November 2013. This was a subsequent visit for me after several separate stays in years past. The best summary I can give in a couple sentences is that it is still my chosen hotel when in Brussels, and while a few things were not as I loved and remembered them, overall the stay was quite comfortable and felt like home.

From top to bottom:

When seeing pictures of Hotel Bloom, you will notice that it is a modern/stylish/trendy hotel and is well rated for one of the trendiest hotels worldwide. This does not mean it is a luxury hotel or something to make a world trip for, but in the realm of hotels, it is a fun and interesting stay and offers some unique aspects that keep the hotel experience feeling fresh and different.

The interiors of the hotel are quite modern and playful— astroturf island in the lobby, bamboo like branches painted on glass doors to obscure the view of office behind the front desk, and a restaurant and bar area that looks as much like a couch bar as it does a restaurant. Cartoons and swings in a corner by the elevators. All of these things are components of the Bloom experience.

Check in is relaxed and low key. You will find youngish employees managing your check in process and assigning your room. You’ll notice the ever-changing color of the mood lighting throughout the lobby, and normally a pulse of music everywhere in the lobby, eating areas, and even the elevators.

The rooms are as well decorated in a minimalist modern way as well— most areas are white, including walls, desk, bed stand and sides. Each room features a unique painting behind the bed and a description of the artist and sometimes contact information of the artist on the side wall. The furniture is also retro modern, and the carpet is a uniform short shag green in every room I’ve inhabited.

My original stays some years ago were absolutely outstanding and fantastic. The pulsing music in the elevator rocked me awake every morning— at first with a grimace— but when I left Brussels and visited other hotels I really yearned for that elevator music pulse to rock me awake on the way to breakfast. Not a lot has changed since my original visits and this almost-month-long stay, but a few finder points were less honed, and while I had only one real issue it was solved immediately.

Upon my first check in in October, I received a room that had quite a bit of scuffs on the walls. A hotel committing to all white walls is also committing to a lot of mid-term upkeep and magic sponge wall attention, and this room clearly hadn’t received it. As well, it had a few stains on the carpet. I also had problems with wifi and the TV, so I approached the front desk. I was promptly given an apology and was assigned a different room. All was well in the new room.

The front desk service was very calm and adequately friendly. The hotel experience in Europe and Brussels is different than in the US, so if you are a US traveler and this is your first experience, this is a very normal check in experience. You might think it’s slow. It’s not lightning speed, every customer gets special attention and time without rushing you.

Since my prior visits, the hotel has replaced all of the TV’s in the guest room with large, beautiful Samsung LCD’s (I’d guess 37” or 42”), that are vibrant and attractive. The TV has a unique interface to them which can also play music, log you in to some social media options and browse the web. It is a nice menu but the drawback is that I had some technical glitches with it in every room I visited. Navigating the menu is not done by arrows on the remote but by swinging the remote around in the air like a Nintendo Wii. This was awkward and imprecise. I spent most of my mornings - nights at the office, so it wasn’t a huge disruption for me until I had one that wouldn’t turn on until I power cycled the TV & box every time, to get it to turn on. Spent a lot of mornings wanting music and being aggravated because the TV wouldn’t turn on and a lot of nights aggravated because I had to get out of bed to unplug it because it wouldn’t turn off. The hotel needs to work with the vendor to fix this system.

Wifi is free everywhere in the hotel, and even at peak hours in the evening was usable for general surfing. At non-peak times I was able to to large downloads and app updates with no issue. They were expectedly slower at peak times.

The bed was firm and unusually comfortable for a firm bed, in every room that I visited. Adequate luggage space exists underneath, and the room has nice spaces designed into the desk/TV area for luggage, backpacks, and other travel items to sit up off the floor and within easy reach. Each room is also equipped with a refrigerator, safe, closet area and bathroom. A coffee machine (Senseo) is also there. The configuration varies by room, but they all have these features as a minimum. Sleep quality is good, and the curtains can black out very well. The window will open a few inches. The AC is adequate at the times of year they allow you to use it— and it seems to shut off sometime in October. This also is fairly typical in European hotels. The rooms were all adequately quiet, knowing that there are some street traffic, some sirens and a concert hall not far away.

One of the highlights of this hotel is the expansive breakfast area— beautiful, interesting, comfortable, and in my previous visits— bumping to the pulse of new music. This time though, the music was much quieter, sometimes “off” in the mornings, and even after I mentioned it to the hotel via Twitter, still some days we’d find it off in the morning. For me this is a key personality trait of the hotel and some re-training time should be done to reinforce this as a very important element of the breakfast room experience. I also noticed this stay that the hotel has become more popular with business travelers and some older travelers, so it is possible they’re trying to please a larger range of expectations for the volume of music in the morning. We had some sad mornings missing the music, and I hope this is a point of conversation with the team there. Breakfast opened very promptly every morning and if not, only 2-3 minutes late.

As far as service of the room goes, every day my room was cleaned to my high expectations— bed was made, no lint or dirt found, bathroom was fully clean & spotless. The only small frowns came with some small inconsistencies on various room services: One day after sending away laundry, my room cleaner didn’t replace my laundry bag and sheet so I could send more. I’m probably the uncommon traveler in that way. One day my free water wasn’t replaced, and one day even after the front desk suggested that I could have housekeeping take away my laundry, my bag of laundry was left in my room even through the cleaning time and no one touched it. Very small things, but they were noticed. Small things to reinforce, and not enough to really make a serious disappointment.

In summary, and in line with my title, this is the same Hotel Bloom the I have come to love over the last couple years, with just a bit less Boom. Same Bloom, less Boom. A satisfied customer will return.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 47 are end rooms and are a bit bigger.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Roxy B, Manager at Hotel BLOOM!, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for this very detailed review, it will really help us to improve ourselves, especially for the TV system and the music. We are happy to know that you are a returning guest and will stay one.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Hada familt trip to Belguim and got this hotel through a deal , it was an enthralling experience . The staff were very courteous and the best part is that they accomodated our opinions and ensureed we had a comforatble stary , I would def recoemmend this hotel to anybody travelling to Belgium .

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Roxy B, Manager at Hotel BLOOM!, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for recommending us. It’s great our staff was able to help you with all your questions.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

If you like all style and no substance then you will love the Hotel Bloom!

We arrived at the hotel from Eurostar 40 minutes before the official check-in and to say it was chaotic would be an understatement. There must have been about 20 people waiting and dot on 2pm just one solitary person on reception. With the average check-in taking 10 minutes or longer it was far from an ideal way to spending your time in Brussels.

We booked an XL room. The towels were so small and thin they could have passed for nappies. The shower was little more than a garden hose over the bath, with a tiny of trickle of water. No slippers on a cold bathroom floor, no robes, in fact far less comforts than you would get at a Premier Inn. The bed was so hard and uncomfortable I have come back home with a back ache.
We were looking forward to spending an evening in the Smoods bar but this was hired out for a private function. Instead we settled for bed at 10pm instead of the late night we had looked forward to chilling in the bar. When we got back to the hotel after a day of sightseeing on Sunday evening we looked forward to an evening cocktail in Smoods only to find it was closed on Sunday's, and again on Monday because it was a Bank Holiday. I can't tell you what it was like in Smoods because we never had the opportunity to step foot inside of the so called cool living and music room bar. We couldn't even have a tipple in the bedroom as there was nothing available in the room other than one sachet of coffee each and a bottle of water. There is no room service at the hotel.

Breakfast was more chaotic than the check-in especially if you fancied a waffle. There was one waffle maker, which took 3 minutes per waffle and a queue of 10 + people waiting each time we tried to use it, so we eventually gave up and bought a waffle in town. Most of the breakfast items ran out, such as the bacon and pancakes, and after waiting 20 minutes we gave up waiting for them to be refilled. The hotel gives the outward appearance of style but it has no substance, very few staff, and the few facilities that it had were closed.

We loved Brussels but it was a Blooming shame about the hotel.

Room Tip: Next time book Hotel Amigo
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Enola_Collins
Roxy B, Manager at Hotel BLOOM!, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
We are deeply sorry you accumulated all those troubles. We thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we will take good notes of it to improve the quality of our service.
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Not too far from the centre, good hotel for business or leisure. We had dinner at the restaurant at the ground floor and everything was very good at a reasonable price. Reception staff quite efficient. Good breakfast. It took a while to have the scrambled eggs, maybe the chef was still asleep.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hi Giulan,
We are glad to hear that you liked our location and your dinner at SmoodS. We hope to see you soon for your next trip to Brussels.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We had a lovely 3 night stay on a Eurostar deal. Fantastically quirky but very comfortable hotel; the room was large, very large comfy bed, excellent large screen TV with internet access, lovely smellies - all in all a very good stay. Large al round!!
Very easy to reach by metro or tram from the centre - the transport pass was exceedingly good value.
Only downside was the restau/bar closing on Sunday and the staff being unhelpful about where else to go other than back to the centre.
The location of the hotel is convenient for the centre but not much else there - no cafes or bars, the mini market opposite keeps odd hours and there are areas of vagrants in both the local church aand the old Botanic Garden entrance. Fel;t safe though.
We would definately reccomend Bloom as a good place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Jean,
Thank you for recommending BLOOM! We are glad that you enjoyed the room design and amenities.
Rathkeale, Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed him hotel bloom for two nights in October.room was absolutely lovely,modern and spacious.i chose the hotel because I wanted to use a gym.the gym has amazing views of the park and has a small but decent selection of equipment. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Hi Elisa,
Thank you for this nice review, it’s great you liked your room design. We hope after your gym session you weren’t too tired to explore Brussels, it’s a great city to visit!
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Booked through Eurostar and got a very good deal for a 3 night break. Got to hotel early and left bags as too early for check in. Very nice helpful staff.
Hotel was very easy to find once out of Metro it was literally over the road.
Booked an executive room, very large, very clean and very funky! Bathroom was all the above too!
Ate in the Smoods restaurant on the first night, food was excellent, has chicken burger but the bun was replaced with a potato rosti, nice surprise. A lot of reviews have said that it's expensive but we thought no more than you would expect to pay at home for a nice meal. The only downside was that the restuarant is shut on a Sunday not sure why but bit of a disappointment.
Very easy to walk into the centre to find the shops and Grand Place.
Overall a very lovely hotel and nice break.
Would recommend to anyone to stay here.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Littletk
Roxy B, Manager at Hotel BLOOM!, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
It’s great that you find BLOOM! quirky, that’s what we are all about! Thank you for your nice review, we’re happy to hear that you liked your room and your dinner at SmoodS.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Made in Louise
Motel One
Motel One
#24 of 199 in Brussels
NH Collection Brussels Grand Sablon

Been to Hotel BLOOM!? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hotel BLOOM!

Property: Hotel BLOOM!
Address: Rue Royale 250, Saint-Josse-ten-Noode, Brussels 1210, Belgium
Region: Belgium > Brussels > Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
#1 Best Value Hotel in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
#1 Luxury Hotel in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
#1 Romantic Hotel in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:4 star — Hotel BLOOM! 4*
Hotel BLOOM! is a unique hotel in the heart of Brussels where no two rooms are alike. Each light-filled room is decorated with a unique hand painted fresco created by a young European artist. You can pick a room to your own taste. From sober to crazy: the choice is all yours.Whether you’re here to work or to have fun, at BLOOM! you will immediately feel a creative vibe that will inspire you and bring you new ideas. Stay with us and live a unique experience. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Hotel BLOOM! reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Bloom Hotel Brussels