4,231 results
All reviews free bottles of water stylish hotel waffles botanical gardens botanique metro station rooms are spacious coffee machine tram stop city centre bar restaurant minute walk the grand place public transport breakfast room business trip free internet gare du
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed at Hotel Bloom! for four nights last month. If the following incident had not occurred I may have given it 3 or 4 stars. Big modern funky rooms. Not into the wall to wall carpet. Great free breakfast buffet. Slow WIFI in my room.

The incident was unpleasant but I'm giving only one star for how poorly the management handled it (or didn't handle it) and for the subsequent realization that this hotel does not have good security. They did finally refund the cost of my stay a few weeks after.

I was in Brussels for work with no days off and only one free hour in the mornings. Day two, I left my room to hit the buffet before exploring. On my floor a man was waiting by the elevator. I thought it was weird that the elevator button was not yet pushed but when he saw me he pushed it and I said thanks. I figured maybe he got there a second earlier. We got on the elevator and stood a few feet apart. I sensed he was staring at me, I turned my head, met eyes, he looked down, I followed his gaze, saw that he was exposing himself to me. He looked back at me and I looked forward pretending to ignore it. When we got to the lobby I thought he would exit the hotel and I didn't want to be alone on the street with him so I turned to the right and entered the restaurant. I was eager not to let this ruin my one hour to explore the city during museum and business hours but I wanted to make sure he was caught. I regretted not yelling when the door opened but I was shocked and scared.

I waited in line behind people checking out and finally asked a woman at the desk to speak in private. She slid one foot down the counter from the other employee and guests. I told her what happened and said I was in a rush but wanted to give details. She seemed shocked because she just stood there speechless for a few seconds but then took out pencil and paper. I gave her a precise 5 minute window when it took place and told her the floor we were on when we got on the elevator so they could check cameras and I gave her my room number to contact me.

During the day I was surprised not to hear from the hotel. When I got back to the hotel the front desk was deserted so I waited at Smoods (the hotel lounge). When I saw people at the front desk again (around 10pm) I asked to speak to a manager. I was told the manager was gone for the day. I told the man at the desk that I had reported an incident in the elevator earlier and wanted an update. He said he knew about it and that the video technician had checked the footage and seen nothing- with an attitude implying that it didn't happen or else, that's that, so what do you want me to do about? I said I felt scared because the man saw what room I was in. The employee just nodded and I felt stupid.

I went upstairs thinking management must have left a message at least telling me that the video technician had not seen anything, but there was no message. I also thought, since my boss booked the room that maybe they had used her contact info but no one had contacted her either. I phoned back to the guy at the desk I had just been talking to and said if the technician couldn't see full bodies in the elevator, he needed to see my face so he could then identify who was next to me and that I wanted to go meet him or send a picture. He said the technician didn't work on weekends (it was late Friday) but that he'd leave a message. I was scheduled to leave the hotel Sunday night and was very disappointed that I might not be able to help catch this guy and that he would have plenty of time to get away. I was also surprised that there was no one to look at security video for 2 days out of the week.

Next morning I was afraid to leave my room but wanted to make it in time to a museum before work. I considered calling down to ask for an escort but the indifference of the night employee and no contact from management made me feel like they didn't care. I still felt scared so I waited until I heard the cleaning women in the hall and then literally ran to the elevators and was very nervous who I would find when the doors opened - the elevator was empty so I was still on edge thinking the guy could find me in there alone if he entered from another floor, until I got to the lobby.

Saturday passed with no follow-up from hotel management.

Sunday before work I again waited in line behind people checking out and then asked to speak to a manager. A few minutes later a woman came out of a door and I had to ask to speak in private. She led me down the lobby steps to a lounge where others sat nearby but out of earshot. It was the same level of privacy as being at a restaurant. After three days of feeling on edge where I was sleeping alone in an unfamiliar city I burst into tears.

I said I was upset that no one from the hotel had contacted me and I wanted to send my picture to the video technician so he could identify the guy in the elevator. Since the night employee had told me the technician had checked and seen nothing I assumed there were cameras but that they didn't show full bodies. This manager said things like "this must have ruined your stay","as a woman I imagine this was very scary","the fact that he knows where your room was" and she was disappointed no one contacted me or offered to escort me from my room but didn't take responsibility herself so I still felt like I was not speaking with someone in charge. She never said I'm sorry "I" didn't call you. It was still unclear who was supposed to have reached out.

She said she would speak to her manager and now that she knew my face she would watch the video herself and try to identify the suspect. She said that once they had an image of his face they would send it to police, every hotel in Brussels and ban him from their hotel, all of which is their policy. That made me feel better. I gave her my cell and e-mail and asked to be kept in the loop, whatever happened. I was leaving that night and would be back in Los Angeles early Monday. She said someone would contact me Monday if not with an update then an apology.

Home in LA, no contact until Tuesday, a manager e-mailed me to apologize that no one followed up about the incident during my stay and asked if there was anything she could do to assist me further. She sent surveillance images from the incident but said they were unfortunately not clear.

From her e-mail I was SHOCKED to learn that Hotel Bloom! has NO cameras in the elevators and NO cameras in the halls where guests sleep. They only have cameras in the far corners of the lobby. When the elevator got to the lobby the man stepped out for a second and then back in, and was only recorded from afar. From the picture they sent me all you can see is it's a human with a white shirt.

He could have been staying at the hotel or not. You need a key card to go up in the elevator, not down, but often when I went up one guest swiped their card for others out of politeness. Once, when I was in the elevator I swiped my card for the 6th floor and then another guest wondered allowed whether she needed to swipe her card to go to a different floor so before swiping her card she just tried pressing the button for the other floor and it did light up and the elevator went to her floor and then mine, with just my card swipe.

I wrote back to the manager urging her to add cameras to the elevators and halls and asked for a refund though it would go to my boss, on principle.

She wrote back defending the hotel's security, basically saying that it IS safe and she did not seem to have any intention of adding cameras. She ignored my request for a refund and offered me to come BACK to the hotel to stay for free. I thought the idea that if I was ever able to go all the way from Los Angeles to Brussels again that I would stay at Hotel Bloom! after three days of feeling totally ignored and scared was ridiculous and insulting and I told her. She apologized and said she had only wanted to offer me something instead of my boss but because I was offended she would refund the money. I get now that she meant well and I do appreciate that she gave the refund in the end.

If the hotel has the nerve to respond to this review while it took me three days of reporting the incident in person before a still untimely response, I will be disgusted again.

P.S. I wrote a similar review on Yelp but Trip Advisor allows more words so this one is a little more detailed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
19  Thank rebsrebs
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Bad neigborhood but close to city center and nice rooms.
Staff was not "overwhelmingly" motivated but still ok. Breakfast very nice.
Price too high in my view even for Brussels and given that it is more or less in the red light district.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Very friendly, helpful and fast reception.
Good breakfast.
Good beds.
Central location.
Makeover of bathrooms suggested (e.g.: Shower-Curtains are not quite in line with cool & artsy image.)
Greetings,
Johannes

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This could have been a so different and yet 6% of all the reviews give it a poor or terrible rating. that's simply too many. I can only talk about my personal experience. I arrived at 10pm on a Sunday night. One person on reception and a queue of 10 people in front of me. 30 minutes to check in. I wanted something to eat and drink. There is no room service and the "restaurant/bar" was reserved for a private business function which meant it was off limits even though by that time there was no one left at the function. I was however able to grab a sandwich from the "food to go" bar by reception. and queue again...When I got back to my room IO discovered that the bread was very soggy and I should have thrown it away. I didnt I ate it. I woke up at 3am and lets just say it wasn't pretty. I had an upset stomach for the rest of the day. I heard that breakfast was very good but I could only face some toast. I like hotels that have this kind of style but I cannot recommend somewhere that has such poor levels of service and makes you ill.

2  Thank Neil P
Roxy B, Manager at NH Brussels Bloom, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Hello Neil P, we apologize for the wait at the reception; our staff always do their utmost to minimize the wait. We are very sorry the sandwich was bad and you got stuck with an upset stomach, we will definitely have a talk with our supplier! We sincerely hope to see you again so you can enjoy our breakfast. Kind regards

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Amazing hotel, well-designed rooms each with its character, friendly staff, very clean and modern, ask for top floor for stunning views of Brussels. Located next to Jardin Botanique it has good connections with the city center. Free-wifi was an added bonus, as well as a welcome drink at the bar. Prefer weekends for cheaper prices.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple