“Less than expected”
Review of Hotel BLOOM!

Hotel BLOOM!
Reviewed 4 June 2014

From the internet and 4 stars we had expected more comfort. We experienced a refurbished hotel, with design for sure, but did not give the feeling we were looking for. Also expect to pay another EUR 27 for parking costs.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ivo K

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Booked this hotel off of a deal online and crossed my fingers that it would be acceptable on arrival. I was very impressed with my overall experience.

The hotel is nicely located next to the Botanical Gardens (free entry) and a block away from the Metro (subway). It is only a 15-20 min walk (pretty much a straight shot) to the city center at The Grand Place. I arrived by train (North Station) and walked only 15 min to get to the hotel. Continued on my journey via the airport which was a 20 min taxi ride (though I could have taken the train, metro or bus).

The hotel had a lovely restaurant and bar in addition to the huge breakfast room. I did not eat in the hotel due to limited budget and desire to get out into the city. However, the menu and atmosphere of each was very nice and relatively affordable pricing. The breakfast was a bit more than I would pay at 13 Euro for a continental and 18 Euro for a full breakfast.

The room was very spacious for European hotels and was quite clean and crisp looking. Evidently each room has a mural painted by different art students from around Europe which I thought really gave the hotel a unique and modern feel. I love that they support artists in this way. Great idea!! The toilet and shower facilities were comfortable western standard nothing complicated to operate like many European traditional hotels. Bottled water, Coffee and tea was complementary in the room.

I would love to stay at this hotel again and next time I would stay a few extra nights and enjoy what seemed to be a lovely dining experience in the Smoods restaurant off the lobby.

Important points to consider:
1. There seems to be an additional "city tax" on the room that was not charged with my prepaid booking. It was 7 Euro per night. This was a surprise at check in.
2. The hotel does not have a gym, pool, spa or other type of facilities but that was not needed for my 2 night visit to a new city on my list. They do have meeting space in case you are looking for that.
3. The hotel booked a taxi service for me claiming that it would be a flat 30 Euro fare which was news to the taxi driver when we arrived at the airport and he charged me 43.30 Euros. I was clearly not happy. I called hotel to confirm that price and left it to the driver to work it out.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank getawayguide
Roxy B, Manager at Hotel BLOOM!, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hello Getawayguide, we’re pleased to find out you were impressed by our hotel. When you come back, you should definitely have dinner in SmoodS, our restaurant. For your points to consider, we do have a gym at the 8th floor, make sure to ask about it next time so you don’t miss out! Thanks for your review.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Modern, light hotel. Great room but cleanliness not 100 pct, excellent breakfast. Suprisingly calm being so near to a busy road. Close enough to the centre of Brussels. 1 negative is that the receptionists didn't speak dutch. But overall a nice experience and I would definetely stay there again when in Brussels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great hotel, great location! The room was super! We didn't have breakfast because we thought it was too expensive. The parking is also very expansive so I recommand to find another one near hotel. The staff was nice and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I nearly spent 1,5 years of my life in Hotel Bloom, between 2010 and 2012, always liked it, the atmosphere, the welocome drink and honoured guest, friendly and Brazilian reception, the rooms, the young concept.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2014

A colleague had stayed here recently and recommended it to me. And I am so glad I took him up and booked myself and two others in here. An excellent nights sleep in a lovely environment. Wifi was good and easy to get into. Hotel restaurant is excellent and the staff leaning on quirky but made for an interesting night.
We always needed a taxi in the morning and was in a good location to pick one up.
Don't see how this is a "interesting/dangerous" neighbourhood I thought it was ok.

Parking available which we used for our business host to park in, an all round good stay

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Roxy B, Manager at Hotel BLOOM!, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hi MissElainey, thanks for your high score! We’re very pleased to hear you and your guests enjoyed your stay and thought the hotel restaurant was excellent. We’ll keep up the good work and would love to have you again.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stay several times a year in this hotel. We usually are satisfied but last time we were there, I had a strange experience. Rooms, checking in and breakfast are always good. Clean rooms, nice front office staff and plenty of choice for breakfast. This time I had 2 XXL rooms and we decided to have a drink in Smoods Bar. I wanted to order while I was seated, but the waiter told me that I could only order at the bar. I took four cocktails and had to pay 12 euro for one cocktail. That's not cheap. No problem but if I have to pay good for drinks, I should think service is also good. Then I wanted to put the cocktails on my room. That was also not possible. I even couldn't pay by creditcard or by bankcard. I had to pay cash. So I had to borrow some money from the friends who enjoyed me. I felt very ashamed. Later that evenening I saw a man and woman ordering drinks while they were seated. And they could also pay on their room. What kind of policy does Bloom have? Back home I received a survey email and if I should have any question, I should send an email to the general manager. So I did, but he didn't respond. Even not on a reminder of me. What kind of policy does the GM have? What kind of policies do this hotel have? Next time I'll stay at one of the many other hotels in the area. I think they are more sensitive for complaints then Bloom is.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back (city side). If possible on a higher floor.