“Website Decepgtion” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Phileas Fogg
Madrid
“Website Decepgtion”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2007

Beautiful website which does not correspond with reality at all. Cleaning is practically non-existant and the accommodation cluttered. Repairs are badly needed due to humidity and wear over the years. Even common repairs are lacking such as light bulbs, only given one set of keys, no waste paper basket or garbage bin at all, t.v. broken. Old and dirty rugs and linens piled up in heaps on the floor and in the closet. No closet door. The furniture is old and worn to the thread. There are spider webs and dust and clutter everywhere. The owner is very nice and accommodating but has no one to help her with the cleaning so she just does not clean between guests! The bedroom of a duplex is on basement level with no ventilation and all the noise from the street. There was heat but the window would not close! The cost is 85 euros a night. I recommend spending a little more and getting something cleaner and more comfortable. This place will give you the creeps! It is a mess.

• Liked — Owner accessible
  • Disliked — Filty dirty
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
12 Thank Jellypie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2007

Phileas Fogg was a terrible experience. The owner was very deceptive about the rates and tried to change them after committing to a lower rate. The place was a mess and she promised immediate fixes which she did not perform. She is very glib with excuses but we grew so frustrated that we left after only two nights of a planned longer stay.

• Liked — The website
  • Disliked — Terrible bed, messy premises, deceptive owner
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
10 Thank Fern74

Travellers are raving about these Saint-Josse-ten-Noode hotels

Rome
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2007

Low level and property unreliable.
We reserved 4 days for 7 persons: two double and 1 triple rooms in march 2007. We received the mail of confirmation for 1 triple (The ensuite room) and two double (mezzanine and brown rooms).
The day of arrival I have been charged for the whole stay, but we arrived in the evening. When arrived the triple had been transformed in a quadruple, plus a triple room.
The ensuite room (now quadruple), in fact, is a basement (be careful to the head when going downstairs) with two pseudo-rooms communicating (under the street's level), with a boiler encrypted behind a chalky wall and a toilette in the second room separated from a red transparent curtain. The wc is outside the room, 1 x 0.5 m, below the stairs so you have to go out the room to reach it. This is the real translation of what you read on internet on this room. I think it is not a casualty that the main picture is a chair, a night-table and a door for this room.
Unfortunately, the rooms had not four beds but two king beds, so the owner arranged two of us on the floor on mattresses. In fact, one of these mattresses was particularly soft and you could feel very well the parquet’s wood. The owner, on the second day, decided to buy a bed for one of us and an extra mattress for the other (thank you!).
Obviously, there was no way to change the room with the two double we had reserved (and confirmed reservation!) since they were already occupied by others (she could have missed these costumers), and in fact we have not even see other rooms.
Finally, it is not a clean environment, at least it doesn’t seem the owner takes care of it.

• Liked — coffee
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
9 Thank RobinRome
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2006

I found it in the guide "TimeOut" and checked the website, which I liked. So I booked it directly with the owner Karin, who sounded very welcoming and helpful. And I was not disappointed. The house is just so grand and stylishly decorated with unusual finds from all over the world. I stayed at the mezzanine room at the very top. It had a shower, sink and nice oriental furniture, the bed was wide and comfortable and small chocolates were waiting for me on the table next to a beatiful orchid. The room is very quite. Note that you need to go down 2 flights of stairs to the toilet (quite small), if you don't like it, book another room,such as the Blue Room for example. I saw it- the couple staying there invied me to marvell at its decor- and I found it wonderful indeed.
Breakfasts were good and made of fresh produce. Karin is very friendly and fun to talk. Yes, there are 2 big dogs around and a 4 year old, and the house can do with some cleaning/tidying up, but it feels good to be there, almost like you visit an old friend and it is anything but characterless.

• Liked — character and uniqueness
  • Disliked — untydiness and quality of plumbing
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay just 1 night, you will pay extra
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Assa
Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2006

I was on a business trip and stayed for one week with my boss occupying two rooms. And they were both comfortable.
This was the first time to stay at so called B&B.
When we arrived, it was like visiting our old friend's house.
Warm welcome made me feel at home and relax after a long, tiring trip. Both rooms with high ceiling and clean bed satisfied us. My boss was not fond of dogs but they were quiet enough not to annoy him.
We had breakfast in the yard, and that was great in the open air.
The croissants at the breakfast was one of the best I had.
What we appreciated most was Karin's warm hospitality.
She was willing to help at any time for anything.
We had problem with a French customer and when I told her,
immediately, without any hessitant, she called and talked to them in fluent French and settled it right away.
She invited her guests to dinner at her living and other time at back yard. I could not join because of jet lag but they told me how enjoyable the dinner was.
One more thing, because we were not allowed to hand carry anything in the plane, we had to send some baggages before our arrival. She did all the arrangements willingly and reported each happenings by e-mail.
Until this year, we used to stay at a big hotel and always worried
about our baggages until we arrived. Now, with her hospitality, we can't think of other hotels.
Thanks to Karin!! We made reservation for next year before we left.

Stayed September 2006
2 Thank ChrisMori
Holland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2006

Only for two hours did my mum and me sleep in the bed (of a different room we booked with twin beds but she put us in the studio which was not clean). After 2 hours we put on the light and there were lots of bedwantsen (bigger bugs like flees) and they varied in size in our bed! No longer did we want to stay but we did not know how to contact Karin (no info in the room whatsoever) and a taxi took us to our car at 3 am. At 7 am I was back at home in Holland and called her to inform her about the bugs. Unkindly as she can be she told me a: it wasn't true, b: I was very impolite to call her at such hours (no empathy what soever about the bugs, bites and long way back in the middle of the night due to her lack of management) and c: when I asked her to pay for the cabdrive (only €20) she said I was overdoing it.
I have about 300 bites which look terrible (46 on my face that is all swollen) and cannot work which costs me a lot of money. And now she is suiwing me! She states that I took the bugs with me. She got mixed up who is the victim here.
If you want to stay healthy: don't go there! I certainly wished I had seen this site before booking at Phileas Fogg!

Stayed August 2006
29 Thank Buggirl
Delft
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2006

Everything that we experienced has been set down in previous posts. The website gives the impression of a special, beautiful B&B. Do not be fooled. Our weekend in Brussels was ruined due to our mistake of selecting The Phileas Fogg. We booked the so-called 'Brown Room' for two nights and obtained instead the so-called 'Suite', which is also brown, but unintentionally so.

The suite is in fact a damp, smelly converted basement that I would expect from a very bad landlord, the kind that likes to oppress ignorant immigrants, not a professional hotelier. We asked to have dinner with Karin the night we arrived and she agreed. On arrival she told us that we would have to eat out. She offered no explanation to the change in arrangement. She recommended a local pizza restaurant a few hundred metres down the road. So, the four of us, which includes a boy of four and a baby of seven months ate at the pizza restaurant, which was ok, but nothing special.

We arrived back to the hotel to be greeted by two rather unfriendly black barking dogs. I like dogs, but my wife and eldest boy were nervous of them. I come from a farming family where dogs are shot for stepping over the mark, and let me assure Karin that her dogs would be up in dog heaven if they so much as nipped either my wife or boys.

Down in our cellar we found that the bed sheets had not been made and there was no baby cot. I ended up assisting someone called Patrick with the baby cot. Then I noticed the following, the carpet looked filthy, the walls were dirty (accumulated dust I presume), there was a "skylight" to the kitchen over the main bedroom area that illuminated the room every time someone entered the kitchen. The toilet was just below a stairwell. Actually the experience made me feel like Harry Potter.

Oh, and whenever anyone above us used a toilet, bath etc, we could hear the water drain, loudly. What else? My son's bed collapsed. For him it was like sleeping in a hole. A DVD player was plonked carelessly on the floor, wires exposed (for the children perhaps?). The shower looked ugly. The whole thing needs to be replaced. What else? The basement/suite/cellar plumbing was exposed. The electric cabling looks old, exposed and unsafe. The location is not the best, but I have no problem with immigrant neighbourhoods so I will not join the xenophobic comments of other posts.

Our biggest mistake was to stay one night. We should have refused on the spot and found another hotel. There are plenty of other hotels in an around Brussels.

After the first night I let her know after breakfast that we were not happy and would like another room or we would leave. She said she had no other room and attempted to indicate that it was what we had asked for. We then told her that we had decided to leave rather than stay another night in a room that was far less special than our own home. She took it quite well but insisted on a surcharge of 15 Euros'. By the way, it is now 90 Euros' a night and no longer 85 as mentioned in other posts.

On the positive side, breakfast was fine (nothing special). Patrick does seem like a very nice guy. Perhaps Karin is too. Who knows? She must just try and get it together instead of enforcing her chaotic hippy-like management style on her guests. I do think she needs a visit from a representative of the Belgian department of health and safety (if there is such a thing in Brussels) to close the place down for a few months while Karin and Patrick tidy (or should I say, renovate) the place. That will do Karin the world of good. Who knows, perhaps The Phileas Fogg will then start to live up to what is displayed in Karin's deceptive website.

• Liked — Breakfast was ok.
  • Disliked — Almost everything was bad
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid The Phileas Fogg