The Phileas Fogg
  • Room Service
US$126
US$111
  • Restaurant
Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre(Saint-Josse-ten-Noode)(Great Value!)
US$147
Hilton Brussels City(Saint-Josse-ten-Noode)
US$140
US$129
  • Restaurant
NH Brussels Bloom(Saint-Josse-ten-Noode)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$110
Hotel Albergo(Saint-Josse-ten-Noode)
US$91
US$70
  • Breakfast included
Best Western City Centre(Saint-Josse-ten-Noode)
US$78
US$64
getaroom.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Chao Chow Palace(Saint-Josse-ten-Noode)
US$73
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 April 2013

If you are going to Brussels, I highly recommend this nice bed and breakfast. The owner is so charming and welcoming, plus she speaks a lot of languages. The design of the place stands out, to be honest Is very hard to think in a better place to stay based on the price and how welcomed you will feel. In few words, this is a beautiful place with an amazing host!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I had to find a place to stay while working in Brussels and found that getting a flat was a poor option because the landlords always wanted a 1 year lease and my stay was only a few months. I decided to stay at a B&B to keep it simple, and stayed at the Phileas Fogg, an old house built in 1888 with a huge kitchen and a pretty garden and a variety of rooms. Karin, the owner, was a gracious host always ready to provide help and advice whether it was directions, sightseeing, where to get the best bread, chocolate, coffee or antiques, and even getting help from the Police for my residency permit.
She was always so very helpful, generously taking care of my laundry each week herself when her in-house laundry machine broke down, and even buying my favourite beer at a much lower price than I was getting at the shops I knew. She even gave me a ride to the train station when I was leaving Brussels, something she certainly did not have to do.
Her adorable and energetic young daughter Nerjis was always loads of fun, drawing -even singing and dancing to entertain guests at dinner at times- what an amazing talented young lady she is.
Her loyal dog Nefi and I bonded, I enjoyed taking her for walks around the neighborhood.

Karin has recently rennovated several rooms in the house and they are quite spectacular now- making me wish I could have switched to one of them and stayed longer. I believe she is ultimately going to be rennovating the whole house but right now she already has several amazing new rooms that are quite beautiful.

Her dinners were always a treat, and when the house was full and the dinner table crowded with people from all over the world it made travelling all the more enjoyable- after-all, that's what it's supposed to be about.

Some important information for those who don't seem to get it when it comes to staying at a B&B:

It's not a hotel, so don't expect room service, TV, a pool or a bar or a 24 hour concierge.
There's no cafe, table service, restaurant or typical 'North American' menu. Your breakfast is continental- and that means a cup of coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice with bread with jam- not a customized breakfast with eggs and bacon however you want it, like what a Hotel catering to western travellers might offer.
I always just went to a grocers and got my own food and prepared my own breakfasts lunches and dinners, unless of course Karin had a house with guests and I arrived home from work in time for dinner! Then it was always a treat to join the table and sample something new.

You need to provide your own toiletries such as soap and shampoo, although towels are provided.
A B&B is NOT a hotel. It's a home away from home you live in temporarily and as such you take care of yourself as if it's your home and I think this is something many people fail to comprehend, and where those who don't enjoy their stay are missing the point.

Karin has recently brought in a manager to help take over much of the B&B's operations and this lovely young lady named Marta brings more energy to the house, and I believe she too speaks at least three languages.

If you travel to Brussels and want to have all the conveniences of a typical North American Hotel with your pay-per view, HBO, swimming pools, 24 hour room service, non- Belgian meals, lock yourself up in your room and never even meet your fellow travellers in the Hotel then you are unlikely to enjoy this B&B.
But if you like to take care of yourself when you travel, want to meet people from all over the world and stay in a charming rustic two centuries-old house and meet an amazing hostess who speaks a staggering seven languages [yes, seven] and feel like a real world traveller meeting people from around the world, cooking dinners together and making new friends and having great conversations together then this is the sort of place to stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms are small while others are larger, and not all rooms have a in-suite bathroom so if that's important to you be sure to ask Karin about alternate rooms if you don't want to use the common washroom, when the house gets full that means sharing it with a few others and not everyone is cool with that. Lastly, an important tip on booking-- I strongly suggest that you go to her website and contact her directly to book a room. It typically takes about 24 hours before she even receives notice of a room booking from any online booking service and with only a few rooms to the house it can fill up suddenly. If you book the night before you arrive she can sometimes not even know until after you arrive!- she makes every effort to be there for an arrival but the online booking agents don't have important information such as the security code to get inside the house if she isn't there or even where your room is located in the house. I would never use an online booking agent for a B&B- for a Hotel that clearly has 24 hour staff and loads of rooms - sure, not a lot of risk there but contact her direct to book a room and make it easy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Aurore_de_Blois
Reviewed 3 November 2012

It was the most awful experience we had with my wife during our stay in Brussels last September. No one to welcome us..one towel (not very clean..) for two persons, one spare and spent toilet paper, no soap for hands, no shampoo, a broken soap dispencer...a poor breakfast and totally misleading photos in the internet. Spider webs hunging above our heads too!!! Please read the reviews before booking. The woman responsible charged our debit cards although she should not do it according to the rules stated in the site venere,com. She also took the money in cash and told us that she should cancel the charge in our debit card. After a month of plenty of mails and call phones, she finally returned our money. What an attitude!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
11  Thank Alexis T
Reviewed 2 October 2012

i stayed at the phileas fogg for 3 nights and it was great family atmospher
the price is reasionable..karin got great language skils.the breakfast was nice
the place is very clean
i would highly recomend it for singles and famillies
khaled elio

Room Tip: the blue room
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2012

For a few years I regularly visit Brussels and always stay at Phileas Fogg in various rooms for shorter and longer times. Every room has its own atmosphere. No noise from the city, however all the nice places are in walking distance. The manager lets you feel at home and does not mind you act as such. Make your own tea in the kitchen if you arrive at curious times. The beds are fine and the breakfast is how I am used to at home. The Eurocontrol bus stops at Madou only minutes away. Also the Minstry of Transport (North Station) is close by as is the centre and the Central Station.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business