“Low-Key & Friendly Place”
Review of The Phileas Fogg

The Phileas Fogg
New York City, New York
“Low-Key & Friendly Place”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed at Phileas Fogg for several days, in two different rooms, in June 2014 at the beginning and end of our 12-day trip to Belgium.

It's located in a quiet residential neighborhood within easy walking distance to the center of Brussels and close to the subway and trams.

It's calm, comfortable and homey. The beds were very comfortable and the linens were very nice. The sunny top floor room we stayed in at the end of our trip had a skylight that opened to let in the night air.

Karen, the owner, is a delightful host and interesting to talk with about various topics. Including life in Belgium, the arts, design, world travel and life in general. It was impressive to see her seamlessly switch between 5 or 6 languages!

Breakfast was simple and lovely and included all bio-products. She's flexible about the time breakfast is served and what she offers. Check-in and check-out times were also flexible.

We look forward to returning for our next trip to Belgium!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here for a couple nights in December and really enjoyed the experience! The owner was super friendly and helpful - we really enjoyed the delicious breakfasts in the morning with other guests (i could eat speculoos forever!!). The room was nice although we were a bit disappointed when we found the 'ensuite' room we had booked had a bathroom on another floor. We weren't the only ones who were mislead thinking they'd have a bathroom in the room, so hopefully this has been fixed since then. Otherwise I'd definitely recommend Phileas Fogg if you're looking for a quiet and homey place to stay while in Brussels!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed at The Phileas Fogg for 3 nights, and could not have been more impressed! The hostess/owner, Karin sat with us over Breakfast each morning, and couldn't have offered better hospitality. What a delightful surprise!

Karin has a wealth of knowledge on Belgian history, and a particular fondness for Brussels. She shared with us all the BEST things to do to experience Brussels to the fullest in the short time we had for our visit. Karin has excellent advice, and was truly delightful company for Breakfast each morning.

Each room at The Phileas Fogg offers a unique flavor. Comfortable beds, plenty of space and antique, authentic furnishings create a Home-Away-from-Home ambiance rare to find in Guesthouses or BnBs today. The bathroom in the Blue Room is lavish - huge, with a gorgeous, steamy shower, double sinks, a full-size bath tub and toilet. Views out to the peaceful, quaint garden and city buildings in the distance are an added bonus of the Blue Room.

We travel to Brussels often, and look forward to future stays with our friends at The Phileas Fogg.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I went to Brussels in March 2014 and stayed in the Phileas Fogg BnB for two weeks. I specifically wanted to stay in a BnB rather than a hotel or something similar, because I wanted more of a personal experience. I was specifically looking for a place where you will be treated as part of the family. I was not disappointed. Karin is a lovely and spirited woman with whom I spent many-a-hour chatting about various things over the course of my stay. We even had lunch together a few times, and she gave me great tips about Brussels and the surrounding areas, especially helping me navigate the public transportation system which was completely foreign to me.

I stayed in the suite with the weaved chair and the light walls. It has direct access to the garden which I really liked. I was very comfortable and had a great time. There is also a kitchenette which was one of my specific requirements.

Phileas Fogg is inside a beautiful old house with a ton of character. If you are concerned with finding just a place to sleep, cleanliness, everything having a place and being there and a cold atmosphere with people keeping to themselves, then this is not the place for you. And of course there is nothing wrong with that, people differ.
But, if you are like me who is open to new experiences, who wanted the place I stay to contribute to my experience in meaningful way, to meet new people over the breakfast table and to truly embrace the culture of Brussels, then you will love this house.

I may not have gotten everything one might expect from accommodation, but I got everything I was looking for and a whole lot more, including a warm welcome home after a day of exploring, and the best cup of Chinese Gunpowder tea with honey in the world.

Thanks Karin, your house made my first trip to Europe just that much more special.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Lyon, France
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I have to go to Brussels on business every month or so. I typically stay in one of those "anonymous hotels" : convenient, clean ... and boring. Pretty much identical wherever you go in the world. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try something different and didn't regret it whatsoever. I was first intrigued by the mixed reviews I had read on tripadvisor (talk about polarized opinions !), but I decided to give it it a try, in part due to the answers from the owner to the negative reviews (that showed an interesting character !).

So sure, there is no "business center" (even though I had a very decent broadband internet access included), or no "fitness center" (there's plenty of bars full of delicious Belgium beers to work on my abs anyways), and ok, the paint may be flaking in some places : but it has something that the usual hotels dreadfully lack : a soul.
After a couple of emails exchange with Karin (what a terrific hostess !), I made a reservation and had the pleasant surprise of being upgraded to the "blue room", with a nice terrace overlooking the inner garden. I had told Karin that I was going to arrive fairly late in the evening but that wasn't an issue : I was given the access code and had no problem getting there with the subway.
I met the other guests and Karin the following morning for breakfast and enjoyed a lively conversation around a fantastic breakfast with a South African young lady a German and an Italian gentlemen and Karin.
I found myself taking a trip down memory lane, to my -now distant- stays in youth hostels as far as the atmosphere was concerned ... but with a comfort significantly more in line with my 40+ years of age !!!
And all of this for almost half the price (if one includes the outrageous breakfast rates typically found in hotels) compared with where I usually stayed.
Why in the world did it take me so long to even consider this place?
In any event, I can only highly recommend the Phileas Fogg.
It may not be for everyone : those who prefer the traditional hotels, more "aseptic" places may have a hard time getting it and liking it (there is nothing wrong with that, mind you, you just need to know what is and what isn't for you).
For the others who may have recognized themselves in what I tried to described above : just give it a try and you may find yourself enjoying this place as much as I did...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
München
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

This is a late review but I visited this place October 2012 and stayed for three days.

It was not possible to lock my room and even worth, the door would open if there was a draught. It is pretty embarrassing to have no privacy at all in a B&B.

But the worth experience was the lack of hot water in the shower! And the person running the place did not manage to get it repaired during my stay, which was quite surprising. So I had to shower every day with cold water in October!! The person didn't really seem to care about this serious decrease of comfort, she barely apologized and I had to beg for her to lower the prize of the room.

The breakfast was also really disappointing: barely anything on the table and I always had to ask for more, which put me in a quite uncomfortable situation.

Anyway, quite a while ago now and I hope the landlady eventually managed herself and decided to be more serious in running the place.

Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Gloupmuc

Travellers are raving about these Saint-Josse-ten-Noode hotels

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have been to Brussels for years and years - a few times this year already - . This time I decided to stay somewhere different rather than the usual hotel. I didn't know what to expect, but it was really different. More like staying with a family - indeed you have breakfast with the multi-lingual and charming family and dog. It is a Bed and Breakfast, so does not have everything a usual hotel has, (including televisions), but it was very nice to stay in a real Belgian house for a change. The area is quiet and made for a nice walk to work in the mornings away from the usual busy centre of Brussels. I am glad I took the chance! Colin McG.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business