“Out-dated standard room and some more problems”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace
Reviewed 11 March 2008

This hotel is less than 10 walking mins. away from Gare du Nord and centrally located at Place Rogier from where it’ll take 15mins. to Grand Place. There are lots of restaurants and businesses in proximity.
I should have paid for the upgrade so I was given in the not renovated wing an appropriate old room with twin beds on the 1st floor with small TV, trouser press, free Wifi (within the hotel), but no inroom safe plus an out-dated bathroom. Nonetheless it was absolutely sufficient for this one night as it was rather calm, only the noise from the work preparation in the conference room above my room bothered in the evening.
I was looking forward to my breakfast but the buffet restaurant was disappointing, not the best choice as well as setup for a 4 star business hotel and service was inefficient at my visit, at least in my restaurant section.
The aside Hilton hotel is more expensive but worth paying the extra so my next visit is planned over there.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,003)

Reviewed 24 February 2008

We stayed here for 1 night and enjoyed it. Paid under $90 for that one night.

Room and bathroom was nice and clean with cute little toiletries. Bed was very comfortable.

No breakfast was included. But there were several computers for free internet access in the lobby.

Location was great, just across the street from the metro. It's a 15 min walk to the Grand Place along a main shopping street.

The Priceline rate was lower than what the hotel can offer directly. I was told that they would not match since Priceline purchase rooms in bulk.

The full rate was charged by priceline before my trip, like all priceline bookings. Yet the hotel asked for my credit card when I checked in. They assured me that it's just in case I have additional charges. When I checked out, they wanted me to sign a paper with the room rate on it. I explained again that the room has been paid for. I was told that even so, I'll have to sign it; it's just paperwork. The receptionist even had a supervisor came and told me to sign it, since he spoke better English.

So of course by the next day, my credit card was charged again! Luckily I was still in Brussels. We had moved to a diff hotel since Crown Plaza has a much higher rate for the 2nd night. I was upset that I had to go back for an hour to tell them about it. I was only spending 2 days in Brussels and time was very precious. This time the supervisor(a diff one) was very couteous and helpful. He said they'd give me a refund on my credit card, although he couldn't give me any written documents to guarantee that. I was still worried when I left.

Several days later, the refund showed up on my credit card, so finally I was relieved.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a long-weekend in November. Although it's not next to the Grand Place, it's a pleasant walk down the main shopping street and there's a metro station right outside. The hotel is clean, the renovated Art Deco is lovely without being over-the-top and the hotel bar has a great atmosphere and beer menu.
On the downside, there wasn't anything exciting about it. The side door (the one next to the metro station) was closed most of the weekend "for security" which meant a walk round the block (and a little concern!), our room overlooked another room a few feet away and the towels were frayed, thin and old looking.
It's not bad, but I would choose to pay a little more and stay more central to the Grand Place next time. There are so many nice hotel deals in this city on the weekends, the standards should be a little better.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2008

II came here for business!!I should point out that I am fussy and I am not easily pleased when it comes to hotel accomodation. However, I found staying in this hotel to be a most pleasant experience. The beds are very comfortable, the rooms are clean and have nice funishings and the bathroom is perfect for what I need! I found the staff to be very attentive and friendly and the dining facilities to be perfect. I am not sure what else can be expected at the price I paid, i.e. 150 eruo per night. Also a huge plus for me was free WIFI in my room, this enabled me to keep in contact with work and my family. Well done to all at the Crowne Plaza Brussels city centre!! I will be using this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Daithi_S
Reviewed 11 January 2008

This hotel prroved to be a perfect home base for visiting Brussels and especially Belgium overall. I stayed at the hotel for 12 days and found the hotel to be clean, quiet, safe, and comfortable. I am very particular both about noise and cleanliness and felt very satisfied. The hotel was maintained and a good value. The appearance in general was excellent and the staff always courtious and helpful when needed. The breakfast were memorable... excellent. The location is in a modern area of Brussels. It is not really far to walk anywhere to the main sights, yet if you are adverse to walking, the Metro subway is about a 2 minute walk away to anywhere in the city. And what makes this hotel really perfect, is that the Gare North train station is only about a 5-10 minute walk to anywhere in Europe. I had a great stay and would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank SoJurn
Reviewed 2 January 2008

i returned from this hotel yesterday and was really impressed. As this is my first review - ill try to be as specific as possible - though feel free to contact me if ive missed something!

The hotel is a four star and is worth everyone. Check in was speedy and efficient. reception was classy, airy and very pleasent.

free high speed internet in the lobby area.

the rooms were pleasant & confortable. as we went with another couple we were able to do a little comparing. Ours had a large plasma screen with plenty of english channels (inc bbc!), a spacious & clean bathroom, a plenty of space. The bed was quite low to the ground but was very confortable and the duvets & pillows were to die for!! the general decor of the room was vintage/old english with the old fashion phone etc. nice view of the botanical gardens.

the other room had a larger bed which i was told was comfy and had a much more modern feel with fitted wordrobes. (no plasma screen though - but a large tv all the same). the downside of this room was that there was no view.

both rooms had a heated towel rail, decent haidryer & full length mirrors, iron & ironing board, mini bar (expensive!) and free safty deposit box.

we used the bar which was fine - beer was about 4 euros but a vodka and coke came in at 10 euros!!!!! (though this seemed to be the case everywhere in brussels... the best we got was about 6/7 euros) if your not a beer drinker (as im not) try the cherry beer - it was different in most places but the best was in a bar called "delerium" which served it in small bulbus glasses on draft! half the price and just as nice! the bar was quite studenty and a little smokey but the atmosphere was comfortable and easygoing so worth a visit.

we didnt get to use the gym as there was so much to do & we didnt eat in the restaurant either so i cant comment! but we were there for the NY eve meal which was very good and top class - i would put it along side the quality of the Ivy (london). so id imagine the restaurant would be good - if expensive!

the staff at the hotel were excellent - we had a couple of mishaps but all were cleared up quickly;

on our second day our keys wouldnt let us in - when we got to reception they were replaced quickly.

on the last day (New Years Day) our booking said that breakfast was extended to 1pm - unfortunatly when we got there @ 12 we were told it finished at 11. once we explained they layed a table for us and gave us a large pot of coffee, a large plate of pastrys, plates of cold meats & cheese, plate of rolls and left the fruit salads & cereals out until we were finished. There was no fuss about this at all and they were very accomadating. Something you dont often find at hotels when asked to do something out of the ordinary. (we wernt the only ones either - at least 3 other couples had been given the same info)

lastly - we got home today to realise that we had left a hairdryer in the room. i emailed them and had a response within 25 mins - they would post it back to us!!!

sorry if thats all abit long, but when looking for reviews for hotels befor i went i found it difficult to get the info i needed! so i hope this helps someone!!!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank star001
Reviewed 14 October 2007

Recently stayed for 4 nights in a standard room in Crowne Plaza Brussels;
It looks quite ok - nicely refurbished, good location and free internet. these were the good points.
The bad ones: first, we asked about a shuttle from the airport service - it was non-existent so we manged taking a taxi; and second, and most bothering, was finding the room very cold - although we shut up the air conditioning system which couldnt bring in other than cold air, still it was a strong flow of cold air coming in through the hotel's ventilation system. we had to ask for an electric heater that could be used a little in the evening because it was noisy and couldnt sleep while functionning.
Overall, not quite a relaxing experience.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank LolaFlores
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Hotel Metropole
Hilton Brussels Grand Place
NH Brussels Bloom
NH Brussels Bloom
#1 of 13 in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace? Share your experiences!