“Not as good as it thinks it is”

Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre
Reviewed 3 May 2014

If you like bright citrus colours everywhere, you'll like this, but we found lime green in the room and bar area (flashing to other bright colours) and jazzy carpets on the corridors were not to our taste. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom a good size but there are funny round tall hard cushions instead of bedside tables. It all seemed clean enough, though there was fluff when we pulled the beds apart (twin beds right next to eachother, not what friends really want). We did not find the staff particularly helpful although they were polite. We were not told on arrival that we would have to pay a city tax extra on leaving (there could be a clear notice about this on the desk, perhaps?), nor were we given a map, which we saw on the desk on leaving! There is a lot of noise at night from sirens of emergency vehicles, and we were not at the front of the building. The price of the breakfast, if you do not have it included in a package, is exorbitant at 27 euros. Yes, it's convenient for Rogier metro station but I disagree with other reviewers - we are fast walkers and took 15-20 minutes to walk to Grand' Place.

Room Tip: If you don't like heights or lifts, ask for a lower floor - there are 29.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Patsos

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Main feature of this hotel is the location. It is within walking distance of everything in the city centre of Brussels. Within 10 minutes you are on the Grand Place. So very good.

Now the hotel itself is pretty easy to reach (if you are outside of rush hour) and has a parking garage (Vinci) which is actually pretty cheap for the location. I paid 11 euro for 1 night.
Friendly staff at the reception, bit hard to understand due to the live music but the music does bring a nice atmosphere. Room are OK, a little bit too small and slightly simple but clean and good to stay for a couple of nights, same goes for the bathroom.

Downside is they do not offer an ironing board in the room, which if you are on a business trip and like to iron a shirt is not very handy.

Now I did not try the breakfast as I was in a hurry so can not comment.

I would probably return to this hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MikeB92
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Great location only 10 min walk from the main square.
The metro is literally just outside with easy access to Gare de Midi / Süd, Gare du Nord is close.
Nice beds, ok sized room, clean room, though the bathroom could have been cleaner - it's never nice to find other peoples hair in the shower.
Surprised that you have to pay for Wi-Fi, not a much welcoming feature.
Breakfast is expensive, selection is ok. Half price during the weekends, but the selection is then reduced and it's better to find a coffe & pastry elsewhere.
The bar has an ok selection and prices, though the color constantly changing between neon red & neon green is rather disturbing.
Personnel was welcoming and pleasant.
Overall - an ok stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed at the Thon City Centre in April 2014 and was really surprised by the fact that I had to wait for the elevators well over 10 mins to get to ground floor for breakfast. The only way to get elevator from 16th floor was to get an elevator going up and then finally down.

Also, be prepared to queue for coffee several minutes in the morning rush hour between 8-9.

The room was pretty much ok. However, the picture quality of TV channels was poor (grainy) and the Wi-Fi included in room charge did not work at all.

Location is ok, especially if coming with train from the airport.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Thon is very conveniently placed. Arriving from the airport (and in Europe for the very first time), I didn't find it at all difficult to get on the train in the airport, and find myself in Gare du Nord (or Noordstation). It was a very pleasant ride, and you wouldn't even need to change stations. Arriving at the station, it was a fairly (literally) straightforward way to get to Thon.

Besides this, Thon's just a walk away from the Grand-Place, and everything else in the City Centre (as it is in the City Centre), thus making it an ideal hotel to go sightseeing anywhere around the city. Also, in front of Thon is one of the stops to the Big Bus Tours, so you can just hop on from there instead of finding some other place to hop on from.

I liked the rooms, they were good for the price and very clean. I also liked the buffet breakfast a lot (as I stuffed myself everyday before leaving the hotel). Aside from this, during the time I was there, Thon had this environmental green card that rewarded me with 5 euros (usable only in the hotel bar) every day I didn't need to have my towels changed. Not sure if that's common in Europe (like I said, it was my first time), but I ended up with 20 euros to spend at the hotel bar.

All in all, I liked Thon a lot, and I would most probably book there again if I had the chance.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Bodi Y
Reviewed 8 April 2014

A busy conference type hotel. Spartan surroundings. Spartan rooms. At least tea and coffee facilities and easy access for Gare du Nord. Breakfast selection poor. Cheap orange juice - sign of profit driven rather than client based! Excellent restaurants outside in area, but Brussels Steak House next door, whilst it looks louche, the filet is fabulous with wonderful service and cheerful waitresses. 24 hours too!

Room Tip: High room. At the back otherwise v noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mumswallet
ManagementTHBCC, Duty Manager at Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Traveler,

First of all, I would like to thank you for having taken the time to fill out this satisfaction survey.

We acknowledge receipt your comments dated on 8th of April and we are very sorry that you were not satisfied with certain aspects of the service we had provided.
You can be assured that your remarks concerning your last stay have been discussed with the responsible concerned and appropriate actions have been taken in order to avoid such situations in the future.

We do hope that we will be able to regain your confidence in our hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you in the Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre during your next visit in Brussels.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further information,

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Good location close to Brussels Nord train station and easy walking distance to centre of town. Staff OK but not overly helpful. Have to pay for Wi-Fi which is annoying. Room was clean but compact. Breakfast was too expensive so ate elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagementTHBCC, PA to the General Manager at Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear traveler,

We thank you for sharing your objective point of view on your stay with us at the Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre.
The internet is for free on our lobby computers. The WIFI on the other hand is for free for the first hour for all our guests. If you book trough our own website, the WIFI is for free for the entire stay
At our breakfast we offer a wide variety of fresh and local products and we have both a hot and cold buffet available. During the weekend the breakfast is at half price.
We do hope we’ll have the pleasure of welcoming you again upon your next visit to Brussels.

Best regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Thon Hotel EU
#75 of 199 in Brussels
Hotel BLOOM!
Hotel BLOOM!
#1 of 13 in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode

Been to Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre? Share your experiences!