“Had to leave too soon” 4 of 5 bubbles

Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre
Arlington, Virginia, United States
“Had to leave too soon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Good location right outside the metro, near shopping and a ten minute walk to thee train with a ten minute ride to the airport. Get the breakfast, its a nice size spread.
We booked two rooms for two nights, unfortunately we were called back to the States early; the staff was gracious enough to credit me one room for one night.
Will return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel is in a good enough location around 15 minute walk from train station, however it is close to shopping streets and bar and restaurants 5-10 minute walk.

Hotel reception were nice and welcoming also very helpful and printed something for us. decor is fab very sheek and trendy. Stayed on 25th floor view was amazing could see all over city.

The room was an ok size very very clean and was again very trendy. Air con worked perfectly mini fridge and free bottle of water! Would defiantly recommend to anybody staying for a weekend in brussels.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
2 Thank Jadey2307
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Excelent location walking distance into the main city. Was clean and definatly held up to the 4* rating. Shame it was booked up so we could not spend the rest of our week there. We had the breakfast which had a great range. Shame about the bed being two singles pushed together.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
Belgrade, Serbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Try not to be alarmed by the horrific appearance of the building where the hotel is situated, twenty something floors, quite impersonal. However, the room was rather small, but clean and functional. Not enough toiletries though, so make sure you bring your own.
Breakfast was really excellent, lots of choices, and also a lot of staff around so the service was quite functional despite a lot of hotel guests at the restaurant at the same time. What was not nice, was the fact that you get absolutely no natural light as the reception area and the restaurant were in some sort of a basement. You get a lot of different color lights around, which for me was a bit too much of a decor for 7 AM.
The staff was reasonably polite, however when they took my credit card at check in as a security for potential extras (that I didn't have) and told me that the reserved sum will be returned to my account upon check out automatically (they were specific about this!), this in fact didn't happen once I checked out. The reception then explained that this amount would actually be returned to my credit card only in a MONTH TIME! It had to do something with the country where the credit card was issued. After complaining to the manager, they agreed to call my bank and have them release the money in question, which in fact did happen the following Monday (I was checking out on Friday).
The internet - you are supposed to get one hour free of charge in your room - was horrible, not working at all (not even able to check e-mail), and when I called the reception they did not care, and this did not stop the count down of this one hour, so I could not try and use it again. The only answer they gave me was that I have computers in the lobby (!?) that I can use.
The location of the hotel is really good, close to 2 metro lines (one in front of the hotel, the other 10 mints walk), short walk from the main shopping street and city centre.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed at the Thon City Centre for a 2 night stay in brussels. Worked out at around £40 per night- hotel is in a good location easy to reach from Brussels midi station and within a 10 minute walk to the main market square.

Rooms were clean and spacious.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room for great views across Brussels.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

On July, 30, 2014, I was scheduled to go to Brussels from London and stay at the Thon Hotel for two days (June 30 through July 2). Unfortunately, when I got to the train station to take the train to Brussels, I leaned that there was a one day union strike on the rails and no trains were departing from London to Brussels. I immediately called the hotel and informed them that would not be able to get to Brussels on that day and asked that I be able to modify my stay so that I could check in on July 1 and check out on July 3. The hotel staffer told me that as I had booked the hotel through Expedia, I had to contact them to modify reservations. Thus, I called Expedia and while I was on the phone with them the Expedia rep contacted the hotel and advised them of my situation. The hotel staffer agreed to the modification while I was on the phone.

The next day, I was able to get my train to Brussels. When I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by a very rude employee working the front desk (dark haired male with braces). I explained my situation and he stated that the hotel had no record of any conversations with Expedia and that Expedia must have lied to me because the hotel does not modify reservations. I then asked to speak to a manager at which point he stated that no manager was available, but he would allow me to check in my room until a manager arrived. I refused to check in the room until I spoke with a manager, so I sat in the hotel lobby until one arrived. After about 50 minutes, I was approached by the hotel's manager (brown curly haired woman) who explained that while the hotel had no record of any conversation with Expedia she would attempt to contact Expedia to try to resolve matter. She stated that since I had already paid for the room, she would let me check in room while she contacted Expedia, since the room was paid for. She mentioned that if she was not able to get in contact with Expedia she would have to charge me for the next night. I checked in my room and then left to explore Brussels. I returned to the hotel about two hours later only to find that no one had made an effort to contact Expedia, so I contacted my wife in the States to call them. Five minutes later, Expedia was calling the hotel explaining my situation. Afterwards, the manager advised me that the matter was completely resolved and I was all set with my stay. I was foolish enough to think that was the end of it.

The next day as I was leaving the hotel, I was stopped by another hotel staffer (blonde haired female) who informed me that she had not received any confirmation from Expedia for my stay for that night and that if she did not hear from them, she would have to charge me for the night. I told her that Expedia contacted the hotel the day before and cleared the matter up. She stated that she had no recorded of that. I then left the hotel. Upon my return to the hotel, I was unable to access the hotel elevator, BECAUSE THEY DEACTIVATED MY KEY WITH MY STUFF STILL IN MY ROOM! When I went to the front desk to ask what was going on. They stated that they still had not heard from Expedia. I told them that they should try to contact Expedia, and that this was now an issue between them and Expedia. The staff had an impromptu huddle and then activated my key.

In an effort to calm down, I went upstairs to take a nap. About 45 minutes in my nap, I was awoken by the room's telephone. When I answered the phone, it was the front desk telling me that they still had not been contacted by Expedia about the room. I ran downstairs to confront the person who called my room (Asian male with dark hair). I told him that Expedia had already contacted the hotel and that it was very rude of him and the rest of the hotel staff to continuously harass me about a room that I had already paid for. At that point another manager came to the front desk (bald male with glass). He was by far the rudest person in customer service I have ever met. He came over and asked me to explain what was going on. I said absolutely not. I had told the story too many times and I was not going to repeat it again. He then went and spoke to the front desk staff. He came back to me and stated that the hotel had no record of any conversation with Expedia. I told him that one of his staffers spoke to them yesterday and resolved the matter at which point, he looked at me with a straight face and said "she's not here".

At that point, I was done. I again called my wife in the states to call Expedia and again, within five minutes, Expedia was on the phone with the hotel. The funny thing is I was able to remain in the hotel with out having to pay an extra night, so clearly Expedia resolved the matter with the hotel, however no one from the hotel had the decency to come to me and apologize or at least inform me that the matter had been resolved.

As a result of my experiences with the Thon hotel, I can honestly say, you couldn't pay me enough to stay there again. By far the worst customer service I have ever had.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Eric G
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed three nights in early July and enjoyed our stay. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel is about 3 blocks from the North train station. Easy to walk to Grand Place. The room was clean and comfortable and there are computers in the lobby for internet access. There is a good restaurant / bar next door. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Thon Hotel EU
Hotel BLOOM!
#1 of 13 in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,680 reviews
Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le Palace
Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels - Le...
#2 of 13 in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,766 reviews
NH Collection Brussels Centre
Hilton Brussels City
Hilton Brussels City
#4 of 13 in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,176 reviews
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,744 reviews

Been to Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre? Share your experiences!