“Nice, central hotel with excellent service”
Review of Hotel des Colonies

Hotel des Colonies
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night in June 2014.The customer service was very good - they were very friendly, I was allowed to check in early and once I had checked out they kept my suitcase behind reception for me while I explored the city before my train.

Good location. 5 minutes from Gare du Nord, about a 15 minute stroll from Gare Central. 15 minutes walk max from the Grand Place. Rogier metro stop right outside, plus the hop on hop off tourist bus stopped right outside too.

Room was a decent size, with two twin beds and a large en-suite. I had a room in the middle of the hotel and it was nice, quiet and clean. No wifi in the rooms, and I couldn't get it to work in the communal areas either, but that wasn't a big issue for me. Breakfast was 15 euro, and was decent although it could have benefited from having more fruit available.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Theonlytrueblonde
LeChatelainH, General Manager at Hotel des Colonies, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear theonlytrueblonde,

We would like to thank you for all those positive comments, it is a great pleasure for us to read that you enjoyed your stay.

We are glad to see that the staff attitude was as you were expecting, whenever you have a request the reception will always be helping you as far as they can (special request, general information...)

Concerning the location of the hotel, it is very central and close to all the points of interest of the city. Place Rogier is a square full of restaurants, shops and the perfect spot to get any transport.

Our WiFi is available throughout the whole building for free, however depending on the time of the connection, it is easier to get access to our network from the common areas.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in our hotel during your next trip to Brussels.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel one night in May 2014. It is nice and clean hotel, walking distance from Brussels Nord and shopping area. Problems with wi-fi in room and in lobby, no coffeemakers in room. Good breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mimax2
LeChatelainH, General Manager at Hotel des Colonies, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear mimax2,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your time and comments about Hotel des Colonies.
The hotel is, as you mentioned, close to the train station, the city center and is located near square Rogier, where you can catch bus, metros, taxis…

The breakfast is served as a buffet with a wide variety of bread, fruits, pastries, hot and cold dishes. It is always accompanied with a fresh fruit juice and/or a hot beverage.

Concerning the wifi, it is available for all our guests for free through the whole building, however depending on the time of the connection, the wifi in the rooms might be a bit slower.

The rooms are not equipped with coffee making facilities however the bar situated next to the reception is always open to serve you.

We are looking forward to see you again in our Hotel.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

This hotel is extremely central. The room for 3 was very well sized. We also had a big bathroom. We opted not to book breakfast as one of us was a Coeliac and from talking on the phone there was hardly any knowledge of Gluten free products. Other than this I will use this hotel again as its also walking distance to both the Metro and the train station. Only an hour away from Bruges and 2 hours from Ipres. Also very easy to get tours. And of course for those shoppers its 5 minutes across the main avenue and you are into the shopping centre. Just don't forget your plastic money!

Room Tip: first floor room 131. no outside noise at all, with a large window onto a wide ibnternal shaft so am...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Christian140857
LeChatelainH, General Manager at Hotel des Colonies, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Christian140857,
First of all I would like to thank you for your comments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed the size of your room and its equipment. The location of the hotel is indeed perfect, close to the center, shops and restaurants and with all the public transportation (metro, bus, taxis…), in addition the train station is only 7 minutes far by walk.
Our American buffet style breakfast is the best way to start your day in the capital. We offer a wide range of bread, pastries, fruits, cereals and hot dishes accompanied with a hot beverage or a fresh fruit juice.

We are looking forward to welcome you again for your next trip in Brussels.

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night in May 2014...if I had not been with a group, I would nit have even stayed the one night. Our room was filthy, there was a drainage problem that meant every time you ran water in the tub/shower, the sink, or flushed the toilet, water and other debris would back up into the toilet. It was disgusting and smelled. I have stayed in numerous old, small hotels throughout Europe and have rarely, had any problems. This one was simply terrible and the staff was rude. Do yourself a HUGE favor and book a room across the square at the Hilton, which is what I ended up doing.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear zsazsa17,
First of all, we would like to thank you for bringing up this matter to us. We would like to apologize for the issue you encountered in the room and the inconvenience it caused.
Please be sure that the concerned departments will be informed and actions will be taken.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Nicely located in mid center of Brussels, at 5 min walking distance to Brussels Nord railway station, 15-20 min walking distance to the main historic center it's the right place for a decent value to spend some days in Brussels.
Clean rooms, professional concierge (despite the fact that they missed to wake us up in the last day). In a word it's a place where I'll like to come back.

Room Tip: Ask for inside facing rooms- you're avoiding the normal traffic street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cristian C
LeChatelainH, Directeur général at Hotel des Colonies, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Cristian C,

Concerning your stay, we are happy to read that you enjoyed the room and the professionalism of our staff.

The location of the hotel is indeed ideal, close to the center and with a lot of public transportation and taxis around. It is the place to sleep if you want to have a quick access to all the main area of Brussels!

We are looking forward to welcome you again for your next trip in Brussels.

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have staid in this hotel up to three times a year but have not been recently for quite a,few years. Lovely hotel great staff and friendly. Clean rooms and very good continental breakfast. Will definitely go back maybe this year.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kath R

Dear Kath R,

It is always a pleasure to read great comments from our guests even if they stayed long time ago.

We are glad to see that all your stays were a success and that you enjoyed everything.

We are looking forward to welcome you soon, again.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

The poorest value I've encountered in the last three or four years of European travel (during which I'm typically on the road at least two nights out of seven). I was unlucky enough to book ten double rooms at this hotel for the group with which I was travelling, and therefore am in a position to confirm that its deficiencies are systemic throughout the establishment. The rooms are grimy, thoroughly down at heel, full of dust and, seemingly, only recently converted from residential use by the simple expedient of thrusting the cheapest obtainable bed into what appears to have been somebody's drawing room. Several of my party found insects -- dead, fortunately -- scattered across their own rooms, or in the inadequately cleaned bathrooms. Every indication tends to the conclusion that the proprietors of this hotel are bent on extracting the maximum amount of revenue from it while putting as little as possible into it. I can think of no reason why anyone who has had the misfortune to stay at the Hotel des Colonies should ever wish to return.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Businesstraveller5

Dear Businesstraveller5,

We would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

I dearly apologize to you and your group for the inconvenience and bad experience you had.

Please be assured that we have taken immediate action in order to avoid any reoccurrence in the future.

Victor Camhis,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Hotel Siru
NH Collection Brussels Centre
Hotel a la Grande Cloche
Hotel a la Grande Cloche
#72 of 199 in Brussels

Been to Hotel des Colonies? Share your experiences!