“Warning - single rooms on the first floor will bake you!”
Review of Hotel Villa Royale

Hotel Villa Royale
Cambridge
“Warning - single rooms on the first floor will bake you!”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Was weighing this hotel up against another one close by for the same price. Should have chosen that one:

Hotel itself is quite nice for the price. Rooms look like they have had a recent re-fit which has been well done.

Single rooms are extremely poky but workable. Shower does flood the bathroom a bit but that's no biggie.

Beds were comfortable, and room was very clean.

Service was not what I would call super-friendly, but I was not there to buddy up to the staff, so that was fine.

HOWEVER

For whatever reason, there was an extraordinary amount of heat coming through the floor. Either it was a heating system with a rogue thermostat or there is some kind of industrial kitchen (or nuclear reactor!) downstairs.

Whatever it is it makes the room stiflingly hot. And not just stuffy but I mean possible health code violation hot.

It was obvious that this was an ongoing problem as when I checked in both the thermostats in the room were already set at zero (to no effect).

You can open the door on to the patio to cool the room down, which works, but you are also inviting in some Belgian mosquitos as room guests.

Lucky for me I was only transiting the following day and did not have an important meeting - I left the place feeling like steamed mullet!

Room Tip: If they offer you any of the single rooms on the first floor - don't go there!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Nigel P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Curacao
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Small rooms, dirty bathrooms, indifferent breakfast, bad neighbourhood and one of the most incredibly obnoxious people at the front desk I've ever seen. I've giving it "poor" but that's already pretty generous.

I've seen half a dozen different hotels in Brussels in the same price range, so I have a pretty good idea of what's ok and what's not... this one you should avoid.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank BoudewijnCuracao

Travellers are raving about these Saint-Josse-ten-Noode hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We stayed here for one night during our trip to Brussels. The hotel was about a 20 min walk from Grand Place & a 13euro taxi from MIDI which was good. Our room was clean and tidy but tiny! There were double doors on to a patio shared with other guests. I was glad we were only staying 1 night as it was so small.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WeLove2Wander
Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

I will admit that I didn't have high expectations for this place when we booked it. Very affordable. But when we arrived we found very friendly and helpful staff and an updated interior and nice bathroom. We even had superior help in coordinating close proximity of the 2 rooms our group reserved. Our beds were very comfortable (not always my experience in European hotels). As is often found, the beds were 2 twins pushed together. I ended up taking the smaller of our two rooms so the family could have the bathtub and extra space for the kid but I actually enjoyed the bathroom/shower area better. FYI a very nice and supposedly not too expensive restaurant is directly across the street and if your are arriving late (before 10:00 or 10:30 pm most nights) like us there is a pizza hit apps a brisk 10 minute walk down the street. Each room had a mini fridge and mine had a/c. Bottom line...if I come back to Brussels I'd consider staying here again. Please forgive the messy room I forgot to take pics when I arrived before I started to get settled.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Krasnodar, Russia
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The hotel is located in 10-15 minutes of walking from Gare du Nord. It is standing in a wide street and surrounded by a nice buildings. But it seems to me that the area blocks are more business than residential. Close to the hotel there are almost no shops (in the corner we've seen a supermarket, but it was closed), no restaurants. To buy something or eat, you should go to Gare du Nord, or to the city center, which is not too close but not too far away. The hotel staff is quite polite. The hotel has a lift.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank comedi
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

The person who checked me in ignored me for 10 minutes, I have booked through booking.com as breakfast was included and free wifi in the whole building but he told me it was not true!!!Bed linen were short but on the last day they let me in the room till 2pm.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MandraMandrake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Hotel BLOOM!
Best Western Hotel Royal Centre
Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre
Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre
#3 of 13 in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode

Been to Hotel Villa Royale? Share your experiences!