“Average hotel”

Hotel Villa Royale
Tampere, Finland
“Average hotel”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Very average hotel in Brussels. We stayed there for few days for New Year's Eve, so prices were of course pretty high. People on the reception were ok I guess, but we didn't feel very welcome as nobody said good morning nor goodbye. Location is also quite ok, especially if you don't want to pay extra just for the fact that a hotel is closer to the city center, most of the attractions are in a walking distance anyway. Wi-Fi only worked in the lobby, so it wasn't very convenient.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shade4545

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 29 June 2013

At the begenning of cheking in, front desk person started strange complainig for Asian customers. Was that joking, or testing me? It was a first and last strange experience during nice trip in Bergium.

Room Tip: Noizy in the front room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Saint-Josse-ten-Noode hotels

Florence, Italy
Reviewed 27 May 2013

The hotel is not bad and the price of the room was really reasonable. Quite close to the city center which can be reached within a 20 minute walk. Metro station botanique really close by, only 100 meters away more or less. The receptionist on shift in the afternoons of the 25th and 26th was friendly and helpful, nothing to say , he gave us all the information that we needed and with a nice welcoming. Unfortunately we got in touch with a night receptionist (nights of 25 and 26, saturday and sunday) who was really rude and unfriendly. It is a real pity to say this (considering i do his same job) but this is really what we experienced with this person. Just to give an example, this morning at the check-out he didint say good-morning or anything when seeing us returning the key, he didnt even looked us on our faces when answering the questions that we needed to sort our leaving from Brussels out, he looked so bothered to speak or give any kind of information that everything looked so unreal to us. And we could actually mention other things but we stop. We all agreed that we had never met an employee with so little customer care attitude in all our lives. We are sorry to speak like this about a person who works but when you are a client and you have paid you cant be treated as you were kind of a annoying or bothering person who has just hit accidentally in the hotel . Anyway i suggest the Hotel , it's a good option if you are travelling on a budget and need accommodation in Brussels.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lorenzocolella1975
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Hotel look is not too bad, lobby is pretty new as well as the hallways. The room we booked was kind of small for 3 people, beds were uncomfortable and the mattress on the third bed was super thin. Bath was without shower and with a tub without a curtain, every time we took a shower, we spilt water all over the floor.
Receptionist was very unfriendly, the day guy at check in was kind ok awkward, we asked him if he gave us a nice room and said "No", we looked at each other and thinking is this guy serious??
The night guy is even worse, does not say good night nor good morning, we went back to hotel early in the am and came to open the door without shoes, hello!?! A little bit of professionality would not hurt!! In the am the same guy at check out did not even say good morning. Would I recommend this place? Maybe if they replace those people.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank claudio050881
Paris, France
Reviewed 22 May 2013

The staff was not helpful and not friendly!
They sent me to a room in which there was already someone!!! That's an INACEPTABLE MISTAKE, since when we go to a hotel THE MINIMUM we expect is PRIVACITY!!! The other guest's life was completely exposed!!! Can you imagine? You are in a hotel room and another guest simply opens the door because the receptionist gave him the key of YOUR ROOM?!?!
The manager of the hotel is also very cheapskate! I arrived 2 hours before the check-in time so I wait in the hall, so I asked for the password of the internet and he said that he would give me that only after my check in so he said that i could do an early check in for "only" 25 euros!!! this had NEVER happened to me!!! Generally people let you use the facilities of the hotel even before the check in!
The room was very small for the price we paid! The double bed was against the wall, witch obligated me to disturb my husband every time I wanted to get up.
The sheets are also veeeery small for the bad, so in the morning you finish by lying directly over the mattress!!!

the internet is also veeeeery slow

Room Tip: look for an other hotel!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank MarcelaFranca
London
Reviewed 14 May 2013

This hotel was booked for me as part of a training session. When I arrived there I left my case in the breakfast room as it was too early for me to check in. When I arrived later that evening and entered my room, the first thing that hit me was how small it was! But it was functional enough but a tight squeeze and the company will probably be booking this hotel again for further training. They had free wifi which was good, it was tempremental at times. Breakfast was ok. Very close to public transport connections.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Cambridge
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Was weighing this hotel up against another one close by for the same price. Should have chosen that one:

Hotel itself is quite nice for the price. Rooms look like they have had a recent re-fit which has been well done.

Single rooms are extremely poky but workable. Shower does flood the bathroom a bit but that's no biggie.

Beds were comfortable, and room was very clean.

Service was not what I would call super-friendly, but I was not there to buddy up to the staff, so that was fine.

HOWEVER

For whatever reason, there was an extraordinary amount of heat coming through the floor. Either it was a heating system with a rogue thermostat or there is some kind of industrial kitchen (or nuclear reactor!) downstairs.

Whatever it is it makes the room stiflingly hot. And not just stuffy but I mean possible health code violation hot.

It was obvious that this was an ongoing problem as when I checked in both the thermostats in the room were already set at zero (to no effect).

You can open the door on to the patio to cool the room down, which works, but you are also inviting in some Belgian mosquitos as room guests.

Lucky for me I was only transiting the following day and did not have an important meeting - I left the place feeling like steamed mullet!

Room Tip: If they offer you any of the single rooms on the first floor - don't go there!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Nigel P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Pantone Hotel
#3 of 13 in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Maxhotel
Maxhotel
#61 of 199 in Brussels

Been to Hotel Villa Royale? Share your experiences!