“Decent hotel”
Review of Hotel Villa Royale

Hotel Villa Royale
“Decent hotel”
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

For the price and previous reviews I wasn't expecting much from this hotel. The room was decent but a bit small and the shower head didn't work properly. However, very close to botanique metro station and walkable to Gare du Nord. Also walkable to Grand palace.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Asam31

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
reaading
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

At first me and my fiancé arrived early from flying in, and first impressions were of a clean well thought out hotel in a nice location.

Unfortunately what was to follow was not what I would have expected from a 3 star hotel, for starters it was a struggle to manuver our bags around the cleaners trolley in the narrow passages, the toilet not properly fixed to the floor was filling with water all day and night. Then there was the shower I like a power shower but my god a very hard to use skin ripping or dribbling burning or freezing. Another top point was looking onto rue royal and having an unbearable road and tram noise all day and night with draufty I'll fitted old windows. We now come to my last nights stay where we were not under the impression that you have to be woken up by a decorator with a paintbrush and filling knife in his hand despite having a do not disturb sign on the door. After being rudely awakend we chose to pop Down for some breakfast we were rudely told we had not paid for breakfast and we should immediately go to reception, because couldn't be put on the room of course, it then became clear why they wanted money upfront stale bread, with nasty ham and cheese, enough said worst continental breakfast ever. One redeeming thing about this Fawlty towers of a hotel was the friendly receptionist who helped with getting us back to the airport and were to go whilst in Brussels. If I ever go again I will certainly be avoiding the hotel with the promising a name

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank henry c
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This hotel is the epitome of horrible. The carpet is dirty, the showers are growing MOLD and the furniture inside the room is soiled. The heat also in the room didn't work. My wife and I, changed rooms 3x, we had to warm the room with a blow dryer. My wife left a piece of jewelry in one of the rooms we were transferring from, we asked for the key to get in the room to get the jewelry, the staff swore up and down that within an hour after midnight someone had occupied and we were NOT allowed to go in the room to retrieve our jewelry. I CHECKED OUT OF THERE INSTANTLY. I would suggest staying across the street at Hotel Bloom! Excellent staff and VERY GREAT HOTEL.

• Stayed February 2014
5 Thank DreEnergy

Travellers are raving about these Saint-Josse-ten-Noode hotels

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 19 March 2014

For reference: I stayed on room 504

* Pros: Big room, big bathroom with a bathtub, minibar, tv with good options, nice comfortable bed (more on the soft than firm side, but no complaints my overly sensitive spine), good pillows, clean carpets and outstanding overall cleanliness. Less than 5 minutes walk from Botanique station, which connects you to the city center and Midi Station. If you don't feel like walking, there's a tram station which stops on the corner of the hotel's entrance. Wifi worked perfectly on my room. And despite of other reviewer's experiences, I encountered a very friendly staff and the heating worked perfectly=)

* Cons: There was a big (5-7cm) space between the door bottom and the floor. Although it was really nice and quiet at the time I stayed, I imagine it'll be noisy with other guests around. Also, the light from the corridor leaks inside through it.

Tip: Den Talurelekker is a good nearby option for a hearty belgian meal

Room Tip: Stayed on 504 and was not disappointed
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Alana0707
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I did like the hotel and is well locate for public transport and nearest the city I will be using this hotel each time I will travel to Belgium. The only problem was the wifi connection was not good from the room.

Room Tip: Single room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

1 Thank Mambueni M
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I'm not particularly familiar with Brussels or, indeed, Belgium so I've no idea how this compares with its peers, whether it was value for money and how many of the odd things I noted would be found at any hotel. Nevertheless, as a British reviewer and business traveller, these were my thoughts:

Firstly, the hotel is very dark. The rooms, the lobby, the dining area. They all have plenty of lights, but are lit in a dim way that does not inspire. The light is not the only thing that's minimal. No kettles in rooms and, while the storage space was ample, just three coat hangers seems a bit odd.

I was staying with a number of colleagues and our experiences of our rooms varied from identical to mine to completely different. My room (Room 101 no less) opens into a bit of roof. You can see nothing from the room, but that doesn't stop the sound from the road carrying in. Colleagues facing the road reported greater noise. When someone, somewhere, smoked the smell quickly carried in the window. The temperature in the room was awful. Some radiators were behind screens meaning you couldn't turn them off easily. When you did, the room cooled so quickly you needed them on again.

The bathroom had a tub with a shower attached but no way of mounting it on the wall, no shower curtain, but also no plug to use the tub as a bath. The TV has a fair choice of international TV channels though, unusually, no BBC or Sky News.

The breakfast here was very good, with the exception of the coffee. Despite the dining room being painfully small at busy times, the choice is quite extensive and has something for most tastes.

The WiFi is free, but you wouldn't want to pay for it. It was utterly unreliable at seemingly random times.

Those moans aside, it was a really comfy bed, a spacious room, a good location and what seemed a fair price. Would I stay here again? Yeah, why not. Would I book this hotel as a first choice? Probably not.

Room Tip: Avoid room 101 unless space is your main priority.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kevin_cw
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I travel for work everyday and I have been in many hotels.
The receptionist told me that he had to charge me for hot water. The room does not even have a kettle. His excuse was that this is a three star hotel (so don't expect anything)

I've been in much worse hotels before but I get treated better.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank lmarinnnl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
Hotel BLOOM!
Best Western Hotel Royal Centre
Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre
Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre
#3 of 13 in Saint-Josse-ten-Noode

Been to Hotel Villa Royale? Share your experiences!