“Hotel Albergo” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Albergo

Hotel Albergo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Qormi, Malta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Do not expect anything special. It is a very cheap hotel in a very central location. I will first start with the bad, the toilet and shower were in the same room as the bed. Apart from that, room was very clean, bed was comfortable, staff friendly, free wifi in all areas, the breakfast was good and very close to Rogier station. All in all it is worth staying there if you are travelling on a budget and want an "ok" place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sacrilegious1
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

In fairness, this hotel was booked for me by a collogue for a work trip and they didn't have a clue about the hotel. So not really their fault, however the hotel was so bad in the end I had to leave after only 1 night.

Anyway my fiasco begins after arriving from a job one afternoon in the peak of Brussels traffic, I am not in the best of moods, and the hot weather, roadworks and foreign drivers who don't have a clue about the highway code didn't help... I am tired and just wanted to chill out.

Anyway I get to the hotel, but I cant see anywhere to park my van, so I thought it may be round the back so I ended up driving around for about 10 mins and got caught up in the funny one way systems, and found no indication of hotel parking. To cut a long story short, at this point Id had quite enough, so i pulled up outside the hotel, hazards on, and went inside and enquired about the parking... A black woman behind the desk said that there was no parking except the non-free parking 500 meters away. I was like you have to be joking right...

Anyway it turns out she was not joking at all, everywhere was extortionately priced pay and display and even those were full. In the end I had no choice but to leave my bags at the front desk and then proceed to the nearby mass parking area near the station, past all the roadworks again, and incompetent drivers.

Having parked my van, I then exited the parking garage, but I seemed to appear at a pedestrian exit which did not correspond to where I drove in, and momentarily I was very disorientated. It took me a few moments of looking around like an idiot to realise I where I was & how to reach the hotel. This turned out to be indeed, a couple of hundred meters away, but in the end I got there. I am glad I was not disabled or in a wheelchair otherwise I would not be writing this now.

Upon checking in, the lobby seems to be merged with the (cough) restaurant, which had too many tables and chairs in a very small space, and the furniture looked dated.

My room was accessible by ONLY a very narrow, dark, and claustrophobic flight of stairs, I was carrying 2 heavy bags, and was hoping for a lift.

When I complained about my back to the receptionist and explained about this situation she said that this isn't a 5 star hotel and there's nobody to help with the bags....

Anyway I reached my room which was just depressing in every aspect. The window looked out onto a courtyard area, and for some reason smelt strongly of sewage which was so gagging I had to keep the window closed even in the heat of summer... Also an 80's style block of flats towered over the hotel blocking most of the light and I felt overlooked so had to keep the curtains drawn most of the time.

The room had a chair which was one of those cheap fold up metal ones which was uncomfortable, and the table was so tiny that my laptop dwarfed it. The only redeeming thing is the internet was actually free and had an OK speed.

I lack the words to explain the details of the bathroom it was so terrible.

Later in the afternoon I managed to get the hotel bookings cancelled, and moved to a hotel down the road, which actually has some dignity.

I hope this place actually goes bust, so that someone who knows a bit about running a hotel can take over and run it properly and do everyone a favour.

Room Tip: Tip - just go to a proper hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Adam K

Travellers are raving about these Saint-Josse-ten-Noode hotels

liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Stayed here last week. Very near to Brussels station, Grand Place etc. Paid a lot less than I have for other hotels so all I wanted was a clean bed and bathroom and a place to grab 40 winks, which is exactly what I got. Staff were friendly too. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kate L
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

Tiny but clean room,friendly staff.Close to the Brussels Nord station(and close to Red Light District,too...)
As a minus-pretty thin walls,so you can hear the ringing alarm-clock of your neighbour in the morning.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Anchorage, Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

Well you definitely get what you pay for at this place. Sorry for the long review so I added a pro/con in the beginning if you don't want to read it all.

Pros:
Cheap, Friendly hotel staff, decent breakfast

Cons:
Located in a bad part of town
Closest parking is about 1/4 mile away
Narrow/dark stairwell/no elevator
No additional locks on doors
Bathroom door didn't close
Could hear every sound in the hotel and staff wouldn't do anything to quiet other guests
Manager would not give a refund when we checked out earlier

We paid about £120 for the first two nights of our stay and the last two were supposed to be £89. Add in £10 per day for four people for breakfast and you can't be too upset about the price. However, the quality of the hotel leaves much to be desired. First of all there is no parking at the hotel and the nearest car park is about a 1/4 mile walk from entrance to entrance in a run down part of town. We were the only Americans in the hotel and my wife and daughters were the only female guests. This made my wife very uncomfortable with the way she was stared at when I wasn't next to her. The room we booked was billed as a quadruple room and had three twin beds and a double bed in a small room. The room also had a television and wardrobe and two night stands. The door didn't have a deadbolt lock which didn't make me feel good about security in the room. Also the bathroom door didn't close completely and in a room where the bathroom is all but on top of the bed this makes it quite uncomfortable. Also the walls are very thin and you can hear every sound and person talking all through the hotel at all hours of the night. On our second night it sounded like someone was rearranging the room above us at 3am. We called the front desk about the noise and there was nothing they would do about it. We checked out of the hotel on the third morning and were told they could not give us a refund since we had already booked the nights. I am still annoyed that I lost out on the money but there was no way we were going to stay another night in that hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Bryan B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Josse-ten-Noode
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
#55 of 200 in Brussels
Hotel a la Grande Cloche
Hotel a la Grande Cloche
#71 of 200 in Brussels

Been to Hotel Albergo? Share your experiences!